Thread: Review - Starcraft
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

Belgium WNxJehera
01-19-2009, 11:32 AM
Local Time: 06:57 AM
Development > You
FoxHound's Sniper Wolf
Review - Starcraft
Review
Author: WNxJehera

Starcraft

Platform: PC
Genre Category: RTS
Date of Release: 1998
ESRB: N/A
Publisher: Blizzard
Developer: Blizzard
Rating: A
Official Site URL: http://blizzard.com/us/starcraft/

Click the image to open in full size.
Written by jehera

Platform: PC
Genre Category: RTS
Date of Release: 1998
Publisher: Blizzard
Developer: Blizzard
Official Site URL: http://blizzard.com/us/starcraft/

Never has chaos been this tense before..

Starcraft is an RTS game developed by Blizzard.
This game situations itself somewhere in a distant future,
where humans explore the universe looking for suitable planets to live their lives.
But they are not alone, a far advanced alien race known as the Protoss habit several planets throughout the universe as well. And if that was not enough, the sound of a savage swarm of alien bug-type creatures becomes louder and louder. The Zerg have arrived, with as mission: to destroy everything along their path. The time for war has come?

Introducing the races:
Starcraft was created with 3 races perfectly balanced out towards each other with each their unique perspectives that makes them so different, and yet, very alike.

Terran: The, most likely, greatest familiar race, AKA the humans. The Terran are resembling the human future of deep space exploration and civilization. But these do not go without danger. Inexperienced in space combat, these great explorers advance deeper throughout the galaxy and ready more planets for civilization and mining capabilities.

Protoss: The highly advanced robot-like alien race. The only race with shielding technology, capable of regenerating. They are highly advanced beings, who require building power sources to provide their buildings with the necessary shielding and powering needs. They are highly trained in martial arts and live for combat. Their weapons are highly advanced and capable of achieving great destruction, but are mainly peaceful beings, who only fight in self defense.

Zerg: The swarm of the Zerg, also known as bug-like alien creatures. They are being led by an overmind, who has total control of the entire swarm. Their goal is to exterminate everything that is not within the Overmind's control. They see themselves as the perfect race, a united race. They are a savage and most destructive race in this galaxy, and will not hold back for anything. Their power comes from great and overwhelming numbers. They are the swarm.

The story: the story goes from 1 race to another. You are capable of playing with all 3 races throughout the campaign. When finished 1 campaign, the next campaign with the next race will continue from the previous played campaigns.

The human race will take you to the dominion of the human planets and conquering other planets from both Protoss and Zerg. Their first approach is slow, but they get themselves deeply into the war, resulting in chaos and bloodshed. And if a war with 2 alien races is not enough, they have to deal with corruption within their own ranks as well. Where they are first commanded to protect the Zerg from Protoss invasions, not knowing what they bring on to themselves, makes them fall into an alliance with the Protoss against the Zerg invasion.

The Protoss campaign takes you to protecting your home worlds as well as recapturing the planets that have been already lost to the invading Zerg. They must defend their planets at all cost and will not let any technology get lost. They are willing to sacrifice anything, by blowing their own structures up, for the sake of the galaxy, and the remaining Protoss home worlds. On the edge of extinction, they cooperate with the Terran forces to wipe the Zerg out. Their war has cost a lot of casualties as well as the loss of one of their home worlds which is being inhabited with the dragoon shrine.

As final, you are taken to the Zergs allegiance. Throughout defending the swarm from the attacking Protoss and Terran forces, the Overmind has been destroyed, and a new power became at hand. The previous known Sarah Kerrigan whos allegiance was to the Terran race, has now become infested, and is now being called Infested Kerrigan, aka the Queen of Blades. By putting an end to the Overmind's control, she took its place and now controls the swarm. She tends to strike back at the Protoss and the Terran forces, in order to bring unity to the galaxy as the swarm. Many casualties are taken but Kerrigan succeeds in retaking several planets under which was the Protoss dragoon shrine.

Sarah Kerrigan

Infested Kerrigan

As all 3 sides have taken casualties, the war never ended. The Zerg have been quiet, and the Protoss and Humans left each other be. But are the Zerg really gone? Even so, many Zerg have been destroyed, Kerrigan was never found. The Zerg may still be out there.. waiting for yet, another chance..

Online gameplay: This game is divided into both single player and multiplayer.
Multiplayer maps can hold up to 8 people. The multiplayer goal is either achieving victory over other players in PvP, or achieve victory in a player customized map. Player customized maps are also named “use map settings” maps or short “UMS” maps. These maps do not abide the rules for standard player vs player, therefore, everything is possible. The online play is still active to this very day, and that after 10 years of release, making StarCraft one of the most popular RTS games ever designed.

A personal note: i have fully written this review myself through own experience throughout this game. NOTHING in this review has been copy/pasted, nor inspired me anywhere in this review. this was fully written on personal intuition and personal experience only.
thanks for reading ~~ Jehera ~~

Last edited by WNxWNx; 01-25-2009 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: Correcting
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/jehera/JeheraV2.jpg
-People call mercenaries like us "Dogs of War." But we're different. We are Wolves.. We will die the proud wolf we are-
-I watched the stupidity of mankind through the scope of my rifle-

Warrior Nation

WNxWNx
02-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Unregistered
#
Jehera has done it again! Here's a nice little review of Starcraft. This has definitely brought the game to my attention. Because of you, I will be buying Starcraft 2!!

Great job!

Warrior Nation

WNxThundrstruckk
02-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Unregistered
#
Nice review! +rep

Warrior Nation

Belgium WNxJehera
02-02-2009, 06:39 PM
Development > You
FoxHound's Sniper Wolf
haha, glad you liked it ^^

i was planning to do the broodwar expansion but i found i didnt have enough memorys about the story to bring it so i descided to wait till i beat the game again right before starcrft2 releases to gain the full story when i make my SC2 review ^-^

my favorite game, 10 years experiance, manny more to come i hope! =D

-People call mercenaries like us "Dogs of War." But we're different. We are Wolves.. We will die the proud wolf we are-

Warrior Nation

WNxKiish
02-03-2009, 02:45 AM
Unregistered
#
Great review once again jehera!

Warrior Nation

WNxDarKSN
02-03-2009, 03:13 AM
Unregistered
#
The good old SC game. I played it a lot. But I didn't got better..
Good review mate. I enjoyed reading it. Keep it up.

-RepZ0Rz

Warrior Nation

WNxPaladin
02-03-2009, 05:04 AM
Unregistered
#
Great review! one of my favorite game of all times. Though I think that the picture you used for uninfected Keriggan is the picture of the main hero from Starcraft:ghost (which-like everybody knows-will never come out...) Either way, I think that I am right, not sure, It doesn't matter anyhow, great review, with all the Starcraft II atmosphere it was a great timing to write this review

Keep it up

Warrior Nation

Belgium WNxJehera
02-03-2009, 10:43 AM
Development > You
FoxHound's Sniper Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxPaladin View Post
Great review! one of my favorite game of all times. Though I think that the picture you used for uninfected Keriggan is the picture of the main hero from Starcraft:ghost (which-like everybody knows-will never come out...) Either way, I think that I am right, not sure, It doesn't matter anyhow, great review, with all the Starcraft II atmosphere it was a great timing to write this review

Keep it up

true, the picture used for kerrigan actually represents Nova from Starcraft Ghost. but i couldn't dig up a picture from kerrigan before infection so i decided to go for Nova as they where both Ghosts in the game ( or atleast where supposed to be, since SC ghost never made its release, and likely never will )

Warrior Nation

WNxGodSinister
02-03-2009, 03:33 PM
Unregistered
#
Man... Can't believe you kept the Online part so short. The only reasons Starcraft is alive today is because of the millions of $ put into from sponsors and teams worldwide. I was so disappointed you didn't place more emphasis on it

Apart from that, everything was real nice . One of my favorite RTS games of all time, and unfortunately one that isn't allowed into WN. Real shame.

Good job again.

Warrior Nation

WNxMishRunner
02-03-2009, 04:19 PM
Unregistered
i still play this. Helms deep UMS ftw. Nice review

Warrior Nation

Spain WNxCJL9788
02-03-2009, 04:52 PM
El Nińo
Over 10 years old, but I, and many others, still play this awesome game.

Good review.

[17:18] WNxPhoenix: go masturbate if I'm disturbing you! || WNxnomis: If we play granary I will shit in someone's mouth || WNxSpamDiggity: btw you just caught me jacking off
Twitch Stream || Youtube Channel

Warrior Nation

WNxRefl3x
02-03-2009, 05:33 PM
Unregistered
What's this, no brood war?
Nice review of an old classic!

RefleX

Warrior Nation

Belgium WNxJehera
02-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Development > You
FoxHound's Sniper Wolf
i was gone do broodwar seperatly but iv lost to much knowledge about the storyline. i was planning to catch up xD

Warrior Nation

Netherlands WNxMaddy
02-04-2009, 06:44 AM
Local Time: 07:57 AM
Approved.
Damn old game.. but nice review thats for sure!
I feel like playing it again... and spend nights behind my Pc xD

Madglide

Warrior Nation

WNxeuro
02-06-2009, 01:39 AM
Unregistered
Never played this game before..
Seems pretty cool, although I am not sure if I can spend nights on the game like madglide

Damn nice review man!
-euro

Warrior Nation

Belgium WNxJehera
02-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Development > You
FoxHound's Sniper Wolf
omg if you dont know this game you have a hole in your gaming culture as this was one of the finest RTS games ever released! xD

Warrior Nation

WNxStep07mar
02-06-2009, 02:39 PM
Unregistered
It's a good review, well done .

Warrior Nation

WNxXKingMarcX
02-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Unregistered
good review +rep
i played this game n i hated it but thats just me

Warrior Nation

Belgium WNxJehera
02-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Development > You
FoxHound's Sniper Wolf
you just cant hate starcraft! starcraft is LEGEND! xD

Warrior Nation

WNxmrmax
02-10-2009, 04:28 AM
Unregistered
Good review mate
Starcraft really is a LEGEND!
If you haven't played starcraft, you must be ashame!!

Mrmax.

Closed Thread