Warrior Nation Blogs Warrior Nation Experience It!
Rate this Entry

What would it take to beat World of Warcraft?

Posted 03-02-2009 at 12:57 PM by WNxFireWraith
I read an article a few weeks back (can't find it at the moment) that included a study in it. The study was some game research group determined how much money it would cost for a company to make a game that was more popular than World of Warcraft, taking into consideration the popularity of WoW and the state of the MMO market and such due to it.

Slightly shy of $1 Billion. It was like $900+ million.

What does that teach you? Timing is everything. WoW picked up a market that was primed by Lineage and Everquest to be plucked. And now that it has control, there is no way any game could compete with it.

The only way WoW gets beat right now is if Blizzard itself makes a better game.

The other way is that eventually as people start leaving WoW and going to other games, it will open up an opportunity. WoW has reached a peak in players and now people are leaving for other MMOs and eventually all the chipping away will let another game match it, but it won't be at the original 10 million subscribers.

Interesting stuff, at the same time depressing.
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 4962 Comments 2 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry

Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old
    Three words

Starwars
    Free
    Bioware

I really think that The Old Republic will give WoW a huge run for it's money. It's free, so accessible by everyone - it's Starwars, which everyone loves, and it's Bioware, one of the best developers in the world.
    Posted 03-04-2009 at 04:18 PM by
  2. Old
    mm I dont think so, first see then think , I dont really care if an mmo would beat wow, if its a good game its fine. sometimes if a game has a smaller player base its better, its more of a community.
    Posted 03-10-2009 at 07:23 AM by

Total Trackbacks 0

Trackbacks