Thread: Review: Guild Wars
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

WNxPython
03-28-2005, 09:35 PM
Unregistered
#
Review: Guild Wars
Review: Guild Wars

This will sadly be my last P/Review for the Development Team, as I will be stepping down very soon. For the reason being, most of my time will be going into Guild Wars, hence the Review.

It’s been fun working as a Recruiter and I would recommend it to anybody who has the time on their hands to bring sections into WN and knows how to write formally.

Thanks to everybody in Development and thanks especially to Ironheart who has indeed made my time over here 3% better. (<3)

Can’t forget my bestestest friends, Mad Devil, Thade and uhm…Ruling? (Did I say that?) And of course the rest of you who I don’t know as well as I do the others, but it was a pleasure working with you all. Hope to do it again someday.

What’s it all about

Guild Wars (GW) is an MMORPG, but with an amazing difference from your other, time biding, level grinding, god awful games like World of Warcraft (All hail the boring game).

And before you ask, there is NO Monthly Fee .

System Specs

Minimum Requirements

Processor: Intel Pentium 3 800 MHz or equivalent
Memory: 256mb RAM
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 8500, Geforce 3, 4 MX Series (32mb+ VRAM) or higher
Hard Drive: 1GB Available HDD Space
Other: Internet Connection

Developers

Arena.Net – A newly formed Company, formally known as Triforge has emerged from 3 of Blizzard’s best game developers. Jeff Strain, Patrick Wyatt and Mike O’Brien were the guys who left Blizzard, they had some of the most powerful roles in Starcraft, Diablo and Warcraft (1-3).

Patrick W and Mike O held the position of Lead Programmers and Original Architect for Battle.Net. An outstanding gaming service that still runs today.

While we don’t know too much about how Arena.Net worked for 4 years without being a magnet to press reports, we know that they have finally shown themselves to the world, with hopefully one of this generation’s successful use of new technology.

Characters

In Guild Wars you get to pick a Primary and Secondary type of Character. This will combine the 2 characters. Your character will have the special attribute of the Primary profession you choose and will use the Armour of your Primary profession. Secondary profession will be the choice of your profession you feel your character is in need of, for example if you want a Warrior build, but have no ways of healing, you can choose a Monk as a secondary profession. But be aware, there may be certain limitations to the build (Primary/Secondary) you choose, Health and Energy especially.

As you heard me say above about the special Primary profession’s attribute, each character will gain attribute points each level up, still using a Warrior as an example, you will have the following Attributes:

Axe Mastery,
Hammer Mastery,
Strength,
Swordsmanship,
Tactics,

Each point you put on an attribute will increase the damage or effect you want your build to focus on.

If I wanted to use a Sword, I would put 10 attribute points on Swordsmanship. Meanwhile I would put another 8 on Strength or Tactics, so I could use a shield of some sort. As Weapons have requirements like “Swordsmanship 8+ required”, meaning you can only use this sword to its full potential if you have your Swordsmanship attributes 8 or higher. (8 Being an example)

Now the Secondary attributes come into play, if you chose a Warrior/Monk build, you could put the remaining skill points on Healing Spells, allowing you to use Healing on your Warrior. The more attribute points you put on Healing Spells, the more your spells will heal for.

In conjunction with the attributes you select, you get skills to use, there is no limit to how many you have, but you can only take 8 skills into combat with your character at a time. With the main guidelines of Guild Wars being on how you use your character, how much teamwork you use and how mentally skilled you are. Skills (Spells) are a massive part of destroying the enemy and keeping yourself and your team-mates alive.

Armour also plays a key part in Guild Wars, there will be Crafters in towns and certain Outposts who will craft Armour for your Primary character for you, for a cost. The cost is normally a heap of Gold and some Crafting Material, which is normally dropped by enemies throughout your journey.
There are 4 types of Armour for your character; Head, Body, Leg and Arm Armour. Certain types of Armour may increase certain Attributes, increase or decrease Energy, protect more against Fire attacks etc...This is one of Guild Wars' many unique features.

Warrior
"The mightiest of mighty, the bravest of the brave, the Warrior must have the strength and toughness to endure the rigors of combat. The Warrior does not back down in the face of multiple foes, and is the master of melee combat."

Ranger
"An agile and wily survivor, the Ranger specializes in archery, stealth, scouting, and attunement to nature. Agile, with pin-point accuracy, the Ranger is the master of the ranged kill."

Elementalist
"Master of arcane lore, the Elementalist calls down natural forces of unparalleled might to do her bidding. Using the 4 elements with deadly force, the Elementalist is capable of inflicting high damage from afar."

Necromancer
"One who has learned to draw power from blood sacrifice and communion with death, the Necromancer relies on black magic and undead minions to aid in the battle. Those who face the Necromancer not only put their life on the line, but their soul as well."

Mesmer
"Through a mixture of magic and personal charisma, the Mesmer casts spells to subvert the damage-dealing capabilities of others. The Mesmer has a knack for turning characters against themselves, and creating a great deal of surprise and confusion."

Monk
"The servant of divine spirits, the Monk uses prayer to protect, preserve and restore the well-being of companions. Well-liked in groups and sometimes the last hope for the slain, the Monk is often crucial for success.”

Gameplay

There is no Single Player for Guild Wars, kind of what you would expect from an MMORPG, but somehow this had people wondering…I think it was because the fact that Guild Wars has never and will never have a monthly fee.

New Technology

Guild Wars uses a completely new Streaming Technology, so everything new you run into will be downloaded “on the fly”. You may think that it will cause massive amounts of lag, but you would be quite wrong, as most of the important, big files and textures are sorted into your Loading Screens. So, if you went into a new area on Guild Wars, where you have never been before, on the loading screen, it would download the necessary files In order to access that area. This makes it much easier for them to do quick updates and additions without it bothering you too much.

Travelling System

Guild Wars consists of a massive world map, in which you unlock certain areas by completing missions or by manually travelling there by yourself or with a party of friends. There are Outposts and Town locations on your map, they may be there for simple map checkpoints, areas unravelling new missions or deep, hidden places that you may find some special, rare skill trainers or crafters. (Where you create your characters Armour) After you have been to one Outpost or Town, you will always be able to go back to that place, and each part of the map you walk across will become visible every time you go back to view your world map.

Player vs Player

There are many PvP modes coming into place, one being a place we Guild Wars players call ‘The Tombs’. In which you can search for players in the certain area you are in (Districts as they are known to us.) to fight for your team in a human game of 8 vs 8. It is very important for your team of 8 to consist of the right builds. Having a group of 8 Warrior’s may not work as well as a group of 4 Warriors, 2 Monk Healers, 1 Mesmer and 1 Necromancer.

Guilds

Being in a Guild can give a massive advantage, for help off friends and just general company. ‘Guild Chat’ makes things 10 times easier for people to get together. Not to mention the ‘Guild Hall’ your Guild gets assigned, Arena.Net have recently added the option to choose a type of Guild Hall, ranging from Classic Guild Hall to Icy Guild Hall.

Guild vs Guild – The name says it all, Guild vs Guild is the ultimate in strategy teamwork, you need to work together to beat the enemy. Whether your Guild is invading the enemy Guild’s castle or you’re being invaded by the enemy to your own slum, you have to get your Guild members together and defeat your enemies. First killing all the opposition human players, and then killing their Guild Lord. Who is defended by numerous archers and healers.

Graphics

For an MMORPG, Guild Wars’ graphics engine is something unknown to any other Developers at this moment in time. The landscapes you can witness in-game are delightful sights. They will pump you with amazement and destroy your Hard Drive space. (You will understand when you have as many screens as myself )

You can tell that the Animation for each and every character has been individually designed to suit what they are. In Game dancing is a fine example of what I mean. Monks doing Kung-Fu related dances, Necromancers doing head banging dances and Elementalist’s…Remind me what they do…Oh, oh yes…

Sound

At this moment in time, I think the Sound for Guild Wars is pretty weak. The music doesn’t entice you into your upcoming battle and the main theme music gets pretty repetitive after hearing it 500 times while logging on.

However, they are working on the Sound, In Game speech will tell you that. It got pretty annoying having to read every FMV but now it turns out they have started adding voices to the NPC’s in most of the FMV’s.

Screenshots

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size.

Overall

Gameplay: 10/10
Graphics: 9/10
Sound: 6/10
Overall: 9/10

Guild Wars is, in my opinion one of the best games ever created, it’s so deep and it has so much potential it’s unreal. The risk Arena.Net has taken to create a game so different to other MMORPG’s is out of this world.

Thanks to everybody for reading, hope you enjoyed my final Review for Development and I hope to see you over at our Guild Wars section. (Go now!)

Also, as suggested by Ojan, you can see the size of Guild Wars' current beta map
(25% of what we will see on release)
Here!
(Beware, very large JPEG file)

Last edited by WNxPython; 03-29-2005 at 06:34 PM..

Warrior Nation

WNxRob
03-28-2005, 09:49 PM
Unregistered
#
10/10

Great review

Warrior Nation

WNxChucks
03-28-2005, 09:54 PM
Unregistered
#
NICE! GJ man its sweet got screeny's 15/10
no no no change my mind 20/10
can't make up my mind 100/10 leave it at that

Primary: Warrior Nation
Warrior Nation
Secondary: Diablo 3

United States WNxOjan23
03-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Local Time: 06:36 PM
ALWAYS be prepared :)
lol good job python
4/4

i like how u included a screen shot of you dead

"we'll end up numb from playing video games, and we'll get sick of having sex" - The Limousines

Warrior Nation

WNxDevil
03-29-2005, 12:18 AM
Unregistered
#
12/10 amazing m8 great review, the recruiter team will be loosing a valuable asset but gw will be gaining one

Screenshots r great you picked some great ones and does show how good the gfx are too

Content i think you coverd just about everything you can for a game that hasnt been released yet

Pyth r teh leet

Warrior Nation

WNx Mad Devil
03-29-2005, 04:00 AM
Unregistered
#
very nicely donne python =), great review ^^, and gl with the future ^^

Warrior Nation

WNxDarknessS
03-29-2005, 05:16 AM
Unregistered
#
9.5/10

Only thing I miss in this review is a note about the armor, which new and better than other MMORPGs IMO (I'm sure all the GWs know that, but it might attract more people

-DarknessS

Warrior Nation

WNxThade
03-29-2005, 05:40 AM
Unregistered
#
We'll miss you
Very nice review, have a cookie

Warrior Nation

WNxColor
03-29-2005, 05:59 AM
Unregistered
#
other then a great review you got the ratings all screwd let me fix it for ya
Gameplay: 100/10
Graphics: 100/10
Sound: 100/10
Overall: 100/10

Warrior Nation

WNxUnicorn
03-29-2005, 07:35 AM
Unregistered
Fantastic review Pyth! You nailed it..and for all of you who do not have the pre order pack and are unable to participate in the Betas'..I have only this to say....

GO GET IT!!!!!!

You won't be disappointed!

100/10 Python. Great work! You will be missed in the Dev section that's for sure.

Unicorn

Warrior Nation

WNxPython
03-29-2005, 08:54 AM
Unregistered
Well I didnt expect all that ^^ Thanks everyone

Warrior Nation

WNxSilverSaint
03-29-2005, 12:16 PM
Unregistered
Remember Guys, this game is only in beta, its a large game already and they have only 25% of the world done... there is gunna be regions and other cities and outposts to visit, and also pyth, a VERY good review 10/10

Warrior Nation

WNxKatBlacktear
03-29-2005, 04:35 PM
Unregistered
Go Pyth, the Ubojingling!
Great review, 11/10.
The beta is already amazing... just imagine how the actual game will be!

Warrior Nation
Secondary: Diablo 3

United States WNxOjan23
03-29-2005, 05:21 PM
Local Time: 06:36 PM
ALWAYS be prepared :)
i forgot to mention this in my first post but i think you should of included the huge map that we have a link to in our section that takes 5 mins to load
to show off the imensity? of the game with this only being 25% of it

"we'll end up numb from playing video games, and we'll get sick of having sex" - The Limousines

Warrior Nation

WNxY-Prime
03-29-2005, 05:37 PM
Unregistered
nice review , only thing i hated was the quality of the pics !
nonetheless , 9/10 is ok !

Warrior Nation

WNxPython
03-29-2005, 06:31 PM
Unregistered
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxDarknessS
Only thing I miss in this review is a note about the armor, which new and better than other MMORPGs IMO (I'm sure all the GWs know that, but it might attract more people
Armour part added, check above the Warrior description.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxOjan23
i forgot to mention this in my first post but i think you should of included the huge map that we have a link to in our section that takes 5 mins to load
to show off the imensity? of the game with this only being 25% of it
Added just below Overall section of the Review.

http://home.comcast.net/~moomanibe/G...etaLabeled.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razgriz
nice review , only thing i hated was the quality of the pics !
nonetheless , 9/10 is ok !
There was no real point in having the screenshots 400+kb, this would mean users still on 56k Dial Up having to wait a minute or two to load. I try to make my reviews 56k friendly.

Warrior Nation
Secondary: CnC Renegade

England WNxTilly
03-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Local Time: 11:36 PM
Tigers Bodyguard :D
Nice review mate,
I can't wait to play the beta the enxt weekend

Tilly

Warrior Nation

WNxArkle
03-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Unregistered
Nice review Python, i went and pre ordered this now

Warrior Nation

WNxRulingA
03-31-2005, 05:00 PM
Unregistered
Very nice - a good overview of this awesome game.

Warrior Nation

WNxVenKireDuK
04-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Unregistered
nice review
Loved ur reveiw. Nicely done.

Closed Thread