Thread: Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

WNx Mad Devil
02-24-2005, 07:25 AM
Unregistered
#
Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided

Platform: PC-CD ROM
Genre: Persistent Online Role Playing Game
Date of Release:Out
ESRB: T for Teen PEGI: 13+
Publisher: LucasArts
Developer: Sony Online Entertainment

Click the image to open in full size.

Star Wars, known by all, loved by most, brought to us now in the form of a MMoG, so you better get ready to live and be part of the war between Rebels and Empire, or not.

Star Wars Galaxies was probably the fastest growing MMoG in 2004. Since it was released, the game has gained about 500 000 players, 120 000 of which play every day.

The game takes place in the original trilogy timeline and placeís the player in the middle of the war between Rebels and the Empire. It will be up to the player to pick which side to fight for, or fight for none if thatís what they wish. As in any MMoRPG itís up to the player to ďdrawĒ their path, by selecting a race, a profession and what quests they wishís to follow.

Races

There is a variety of races to pick from; here are they and a small description of each one:

Bothan
Bothan have a humanoid look, although they are shorter and have their faces covered of fur. They are mostly knows as spies, and good ones since itís their main industry, but great poets, scientists and leaders have been borne Bothan.

Click the image to open in full size.|Click the image to open in full size.

Human
Human can be virtually found anywhere. They are the biggest specie in the galaxy and it where they who first formed galactic governments. No one knows which is the Humanís home world as they are a curious specie who settled trough out all galaxy. They are also given credit for finding hyperspace travel.

Mon Calamari
The Mon Calamari have a humanoid body shape, although they look more like fish, probably due to the fact their native planet is pretty much all water. Mon Cal are a peaceful people who like to explore new worldís to learn more about them and not to conquer them. Their scientific knowledge is greatly recognized by the other races.

Rodian
Most Rodian can be easily compared to Earth Ancient Romans. Most of them are extremely violent and love things such as Gladiator Fights. However some are peaceful and become great actors, musicians and entertainers, but itís not uncommon to find one as a Bounty Hunter.

Trandoshan
Without doubt one of the most feared species rough out the galaxies. Despite their humanoid form they look like lizards and have very strong claws in their three finger hands. They arenít trusted by many, but those fortunate enough to ďteam upĒ with a Trandoshan are astonished by their calm even when they face certain death. For the Trandoshan, war is an art.

Twiíleki
Twiíleki would look almost like human if it wasnít for the fact they have twin tentacles coming out of their skull. These are used for communication. Due to the hard conditions in their home world, they have became tough survivors but are, however, a peaceful people, who prefers to use their intelligence and wisdom above their strength.

Wookiee
Wookiee might look like beasts, but they are far from being it. They are incredibly strong, but also very intelligent, being able to learn how to pilot starships and repair machines. They are also extremely loyal and would prefer to die to betray their friends and family.

Zabrak
Zabrak look just like humans, but they have hors coming of their skull. They are very intelligent and are one of the pioneer races to explore space. Their will power is strong, which is probably why the empire hasnít yet been able to gain control over them. They are also fearless explorerís.

Skills and Professions:

Unlike many traditional roleplaying games, there are no "levels" in Star Wars Galaxiesô: An Empire Dividedô. Instead, your character's advancement is much more flexible. Star Wars Galaxies is built around a skill-based system, in which the skills you possess largely define your character's abilities and relative strengths.
Skills, Disciplines and Professions
At the beginning of the game, you will choose a starting profession for your character (Artisan, Brawler, Entertainer, Marksman, Medic, or Scout). A profession is a collection of skills that represent a particular role or activity. Each profession begins with a few basic skills, and then branches upward into more specialized skills. All skills are organized into various disciplines (a tiered group of related skills). You have complete control over which skills you select, what disciplines you advance through and which professions you become.
Acquiring New Skills
Acquiring skills is not simply a matter of "buying" the skills you desire with the skill points you have available. Instead, access to most skills is restricted until you've fulfilled various prerequisites. Before purchasing a skill, you might be required to complete a specific mission or quest, gain experience with another related skill, or achieve a certain status. Training in many professions will also cost credits.
You may decide to make your character a jack-of-all-trades by learning many different professions, though each time you add a new profession, the skill point cost for gaining new skills increases. Instead you may concentrate on just a few areas for specialization, achieving mastery in just one or two professions. The higher-tier skills are generally more expensive to acquire, in both skill points and credits; they also have more rigorous prerequisites. Every character has a maximum learning capacity (pool of skill points) so no character will be able to master every skill at the same time.
Changing Your Skills and Professions
Once you decide to learn a skill, you are not stuck with that skill for the rest of your character's life. You may give up skills you no longer want in order to free up skill points, which can then be spent on new and different skills. For example, if you find that you do not enjoy being a mechanic and would rather try your hand at galactic politics, you may "sell back" your mechanical skills and begin reassigning the freed up skill points to political skills. You will still need to satisfy any prerequisites the new skills require, but no skill points are lost in the reallocation.
ď

PvP Combat

When you enter the game, you are considered neutral, and are not able to attack another player, nor can another player attack you. There are several ways to get involved with consensual Player Vs Player (PVP) combat. Once you are involved in PVP, your targeting reticule and radar will clearly inform you of whom you can and cannot attack. In some areas, such as new player starting town, no one is allowed to engage in Player Vs Player combat. The four ways to enter PVP combat are:

Dueling

The simplest way to enter PVP is to challenge another player to a duel. When you issue the challenge, the other person has five minutes in which they can attack you. If they do not attack, you may not fight them. If they do attack, you may fight until one of you is killed or until both sides declare peace with each other.

Joining a Faction

Being the height of the Galactic Civil War, the most exciting way to get into PVP combat is to sign up with a faction. You can join the Rebel Alliance or the Empire by talking with the appropriate NPC.

When you sign up with the Rebels or the Imperials, you get the choice of being a Declared member or a Covert member. Declared members can attack any enemies they see, and can be attacked by them at virtually any time. Declared members get some special perks, such as the ability to build faction-aligned structures.

Covert members cannot attack enemies outright, but they can assist members of their faction (healing them, for example). When a Covert member helps a fellow faction member, they reveal their alignment and become vulnerable to PvP attack by enemies for a short time period.

You can leave a faction after joining it, or move between Declared and Covert status, but it takes a fair amount of time to do so.

Player Association Wars

The final way to participate in PVP combat is to be part of a Player Association that agrees to go to war with another Player Association. Similar to being declared with a faction, you are vulnerable to attack by members of the opposing P.A. for the duration of the war. Player Association Leaders set the terms of the war.

Planets:

One of the coolest things in Galaxies is all the planets the player can visit. There are a total of ten, being incredibly unique. Each time you visit a new planet you will be astonished by how different it is from the others, while at the same time you are able to realize you are still playing the same game. Here is a list with all the planetís and a brief description of them:

Even though it never appeared in any of the movies, this planet is still important. Great people where born here being one of them Han Solo. This is also the planet where the Rebel Alliance started. The terrain varies from forests to seas and big cities.

Those who have played SW:KOTOR will know this planet, as it was here you received Jedi training in that game. The Jedi academy housed here is now long gone, but due to the fact of itís remote location and small population, the rebels had a base here, that until they found a Imperial tracking device in their cargo bay, which made them immediately leave the planet. The planet terrain is mainly constituted by Grass lands and oceans.

This is a low gravity planet, inhabited by a mysterious set of women who are force sensitive and call themselves ďthe Witches of DathomirĒ. Their power must be semi strong, as they ride rancors, beasts that scare the most fearless man. This planet also houses an Imperial Prison, probably due to the fact ití a very hard planet to access to. Without doubt a planet worth exploring.

This isnít really Endor, the gas giant, but its forest moon, house to the Ewok and where the battle of Endor takes place. However, the timeline of Galaxies is set before the second death star was built, so feel free to come to this beautiful and virgin planet and remember to pay a visit to the tree top village of the Ewok.

This planet has a harsh environment, here you will find from lava pits to sulfur pools. The player who dares to visit this planet will have a hard time, cause on top of that, there is the constant threat of being attacked by pirates or by the dangerous wild life forms who live on this planet. But to those who prove worthy, there will be some very rewarding missions to be made out here.

This planet is without doubts the richest planet when it comes down to geography. You will find anything in here, from swamps to full of Snow Mountains. Also, if you are an Empire sympathizer, there are a few missions you can do in here, and if youíre good enough, you might even get the chance to meet the Emperor himself.

Rori is a Naboos moon. Itís in many ways identical to it, however, you can say itís a bit more creepy. Rori makes its first appearance on the Star Wars universe on this game.

This planet is somehow mysterious, has under the surface there is an engine which was used to move it to its present location from unknown coordinates. Itís an interesting planet to visit and explore.

This planet is one big desert located in the outer rim, and it holds a space port perfect for outlaws and bandits. If you are into the criminal life style, make sure you come here and search for Jabba. You can also go explore the planet and look for the long abandoned and now overran by sand people military base.

It was on this planets orbit that the first Dark Star was destroyed and this planet is now ran by the Imperials, however rebels keep fighting to try to gain control over this planet. Itís not easy to access to this planet, but if you are an Imperial supporter, you can always volunteer to help the military personnel.

Overall opinion

I think this is one of this games all start wars fans should play, and even if you arenít a Star Wars fan, you will surely have fun playing this game. The universe is huge and the possibilities uncountable. You can find a couple of WN Members playing, so why not join them

Best of: The graphics, the universe, pretty much everything.

Worse of: Might get a bit repetitive after a while, which might make more softcore players get bored easily.

Multimedia:

Videos:

Trailler

E3 Trailler

Screenshots

Click the image to open in full size.|Click the image to open in full size.|Click the image to open in full size.|Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.|Click the image to open in full size.|Click the image to open in full size.|Click the image to open in full size.

Yellow Chiffon Italic Text Denotes Information Copied from the Official SWG Website

Sources: IGN; Star Wars Galaxies Oficial Website

Last edited by WNx Mad Devil; 02-24-2005 at 07:27 AM..

Warrior Nation

WNxIsak
02-24-2005, 11:41 AM
Unregistered
#
Great review...got right to the point of the game in some areas. The game world is HUGE and is hugely expansive and vast. And with JTL out its even BIGGER than before which is amazing. You could literally spend hours walking from one side of the planet to the other and still not see everything it has to offer.

Warrior Nation

WNx Mad Devil
02-24-2005, 11:56 AM
Unregistered
#
im working on a review for jtl 2, should be donne soon

Warrior Nation

United States WNxbenthebomb
02-24-2005, 01:56 PM
Local Time: 06:39 PM
awsome great job i currently play this game so much that its my primary lol.
im starting a city on scylla very soon so if ur interested in anything about the game feel free to contact me!

Warrior Nation

WNxServbot
02-26-2005, 06:36 PM
Unregistered
#
also remember SWG is am Lag In most towns but a great game over all but full of spam also i still love it lol

Warrior Nation

WNxDevil
02-27-2005, 04:39 AM
Unregistered
#
very nice md looks great graphics look awsome dam i might have to try this to lol

Warrior Nation

WNxRanDOOM
02-27-2005, 08:14 AM
Unregistered
#
I bought this game and I personally hated it. It counfused me so much, but overall the community was great. Way better than most online games. One guy gave me 2000 gold because I let him teach me a bunch of skills!
I also tended to lag while I was on my scooter thingy.

Empire missions got very boring very quickly.
"Destroy the gambling camp!"
"Destroy the wookie camp!"
etc.

The worlds are huge. Too big infact, the terrain just seems to be randomly generated with the occasional landmark placed.

Warrior Nation

United States WNxbenthebomb
03-01-2005, 06:16 PM
Local Time: 06:39 PM
lag is not such an issue any more not as many people play so its not as laggy

Warrior Nation

WNxThade
03-02-2005, 07:58 AM
Unregistered
#
Very nice and detailed review, thumbs up!

Warrior Nation

WNx Mad San
03-04-2005, 03:42 AM
Unregistered
Great write up Ze the pics look stunning. keep up the good work

Warrior Nation

United States WNxKhelven
03-04-2005, 04:25 AM
Local Time: 04:39 PM
i *^%*%*# LOVE THIS GAME!!! i currently play on Bloodfin (the unofficial PvP server), and currently in the guild Valor (one of the top 3 Rebal guilds on this server). I can attest for anyone, that this game, while it has a difficult learning curve then most, is definatly one of the best MMO's out there. It has depth, and characteristics that most games lack, and above all, has the content to keep gamers in the high end game. Unlike most other MMO's that tend to get tedious, repetitive, or just plain boring after you reach the high lvls. anyways, my 2 credits.

Warrior Nation

WNxHitMan
03-13-2005, 04:22 PM
Unregistered
very good review, very indepth and expansive. Thumbs Up!

Warrior Nation

WNxKaayl
03-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Unregistered
I hated SWG. i dident find any fun in it. it showsd lightsabers and the force in most SS but it was almost impossible to become a jedi. in the three mounths i played i saw one jedi.

Closed Thread