Thread: Review: Rome: Total War
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

WNxYouCanCry
10-05-2004, 04:31 AM
Unregistered
#
Review: Rome: Total War
Platform: PC
Genre: RTS-Real Time Stratergy
Date of Release: September 22 2004
ESRB: T
Publisher: Activision
Developer: Creative Assembly

ROME
-TOTAl WAR-

After the E3 Rome: Total War got overloaded with compliments and I can tell you enough reasons why.

Your own house and garden.

Total War fans can play the game right away, newbieís at the other hand do good by playing the Prolog (tutorial) They learn how to use the camera, the battles and the sims part of R:TW.
After that you will start with the Imperial Campaign in which you can choose one of the three roman families: House Of Jullii, House Of Brutii and House Of Scippi. The Roman empire is only small, Rome also doesnít have a emperor its being ruled by a Senate and her private army. Its your task to rule roman and dominate the world. Unfortunately you have accomplished this after 40-50 hours of gameplay. And thatís only one empire! When you finished the game for your first you can do the campaign again and choose out of 11 new houses!! With each around 40 hours of game play, so donít worry getting bothered with this game!

Some advice

The game has one half Civilization game play and the other half are brute battles. The Civ gameplay is played on a good looking 3D minimap on which you turn based, move your army, build settlements and make wealthy strongholds of them, recruit new soldiers and changes your taxes and so goes it on!
The Civ part is editable so you can change it to your desire! Automatic, all by yourself or a mix of them both. There are several advisers who will help you, you even can edit there advice (none, medium, high or very high). The same goes for battles in which army commanders give you advice how to battle the enemy troops.

Battles

The battles are still the most exiting part of the game. There are a lot different units:
Siege units, horses, slingers, catapults, storm rams, Ballistaís, soldiers with lances, soldiers with sword and shields, archers and a lot more! How and when you use your troops in the game is very important it could affect who wins or loses. Letting horse riders ride in a group of lance soldiers could be catastrophic instead you should let the horse riders attack them from the right or left side then you have a guaranteed victory.
It is very cool to see that your general holds a speech every time you are going to a battle. With the speech he tries to motivate the soldiers and the player gets a hint from him how he should behave in this battle.
When finally the battle starts you donít know what you see thousands of units are fighting with each other, swords and shields, arrows, rocks everything is flying once the battle is started.

Crystal and gold

It is unbelievable how realistic Creative Assembly made this game. R:TW is a game in which the player really has to plan his strategy and tactics way more then in any other RTS game.
Rome Total War should be copied on a crystal disc and put in a pure golden box! This is one of the best RTS game ever made!

Start counting; 1,2,3
Click the image to open in full size.

Isnt the forest beautiful!

The sounds of the sea.

Score:
Graphics: 8 Replay: 9 Gameplay: 9

Total:

Warrior Nation

WNxPapug
10-05-2004, 08:03 AM
Unregistered
#
very nice YCC very nice

hehehe

Warrior Nation

WNx Mad Devil
10-05-2004, 08:07 AM
Unregistered
#
that game looks awsame, and that is a vry good review

Warrior Nation

WNxMaxx
10-05-2004, 12:03 PM
Unregistered
#
Good review.I buy this game yesterday.And it is a good rts game.WOW
Maxx

Warrior Nation

WNxThade
10-05-2004, 01:27 PM
Unregistered
#
This game is awesome, I think I'm addicted . Good review!

Warrior Nation

WNxHogan
10-06-2004, 02:01 AM
Unregistered
#
WOOHOOO cant wait to get my copy..been waiting for freekin months for it to come out.

Warrior Nation

WNxThe Target
10-16-2004, 05:53 PM
Unregistered
#
I have to say that this game owns so much its great, I have been playing it online if you have a firewall you have to open some ports for it to work but it just gets better and better, finding out new things every time I play it. I think the game should be 11/10 so much fun everyone should buy it today.

Warrior Nation

WNxRebellion
10-25-2004, 08:07 PM
Unregistered
#
I believe im total War adicted and well i think im the next Alexander the Great i mean the Macedonians and greeks are hard when vs pikes but their cavalry are sooo weak.....anyway great review and this is an awsome game =P

Warrior Nation

WNxZearatul9ra2
11-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Unregistered
#
I have to say I have this game and it is sweet.

I still have to try multiplayer after I beat the campaign.

I suggest anyone into slower paced strategy games get this game because it is really really fun.

Last edited by WNxZearatul9ra2; 11-02-2004 at 09:40 PM..

Warrior Nation

WNxRayne
11-04-2004, 04:14 AM
Unregistered
This is a very good game,
but my onager just misfired and killed my own general :'(

then one elephant fell on one of my cohorts and killed half of them.

Warrior Nation

WNxBeast Warrior
11-04-2004, 08:54 AM
Unregistered
YouCanCry, That's very great review! I am sure that It's almost likely as Age of Mythology.

Warrior Nation

wnxMetalSnyper
06-06-2005, 05:07 PM
Unregistered
good report. Maby i should get it and sign up for it. (maby)

Warrior Nation
Secondary: Diablo 3

Austria WNxIchBinsDoch
06-30-2005, 06:58 AM
Local Time: 04:45 PM
Honorable Discharge
W'iz da ork & u iz not
It's not a bad game but gets boring quite quickly.

Warrior Nation

WNxSkorp
06-30-2005, 07:12 AM
Unregistered
I love Rome Total War.

I've beat the game the long way (taking 50 cities and be ruler of Rome) as Jullii, Brutii, Carthage, Gaul & Egypt...though I have played it as the other ones that you can't be without going into the Data Files. It's kinda fun to play as the Rebels, cause you start out with a ton of cities...but you will lose a lot of them quick because of the little population and defense.

Closed Thread