Thread: Preview - Brink
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

United Kingdom WNxHorizon
06-03-2010, 12:26 PM
Local Time: 04:54 AM
Dishonorable Discharge
Preview - Brink
Preview
Author: WNxHorizon

Brink
Click the image to open in full size.

Platform: PC
Genre Category: FPS
Date of Release: September 7, 2010
ESRB: RP
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
Developer: Splash Damage
Rating: A
Official Site URL: http://www.brinkthegame.com/

Brink is a game that hit the headlines early on during E3 2009, but has since then received limited publicity. However with a release just around the corner and new details being released regularly, there is a real chance that this could prove to be one of the strong FPS releases of 2010. It is a unique game, mixing a variety of gameplay elements which should hopefully making it a rather quirky game away from the monotony of the Battlefield and COD Series.

So what exactly is Brink? Well it is developer Splash Damage's first original and independent outing, as past titles had been part of franchises. The game is set in the near future, on an island known as 'The Ark' which has been built as an example of a community living sustainably in the mist of global warming. Unfortunately the island has become overpopulated and civil disorder is close at hand. The most ambitious part is aiming to blend in the aspects of multiplayer and single player. How exactly this will be done is yet to be seen, but there has been some talk of strong co-op play. What strikes you most is the freedom allowed to you in the game. You can pick either the Security forces or the Resistance, and the game seeks increasingly to abandon linear goals. It is easy to follow secondary objectives and move away from the core storyline, something often desired by players in today's FPS atmosphere. The ability to move within with relative liberty within a well-sized game world is just one of the strong aspects of the game.

In some regards the game can be compared to games such as Borderlands and FarCry 2, in the way that it retains a strong FPS element, yet also allows the player to follow his own goals with a degree of customization to accompany it. Brink allows a good variety of player customization normally found in RPGs and as you progress through the game you will gain experience and have the ability to achieve new class abilities, weapons and such. This will suit the individual playing style of the gamer and of course we'll have to wait until the fall release to see how well this has been implemented. Looking at the site there is certainly a wealth of possibilities as the developers focuses on fulfilling the unique aspect of the game. One nifty new idea is the introduction of Smooth Movement Across Random Terrain system (SMART). Simply put, SMART is a sophisticated mechanism that means that your character is able to navigate his way around obstacles in a more realistic way than other FPS, being able to duck, jump, climb and slide through various obstacles, hopefully using one core movement key. Again, this feature is hoped will add greater realism to a game that is seeking to be something different. Technically, it has also been planned intricately with the bulkier characters being limited in what they can achieve using SMART, whereas the more nimble characters being able to navigate a wide variety of obstacles. The emphasis on the role of each character is certainly something the developers are proud of.

For online play, there is also considerable content, although not as focused as expansive as some FPS gamers will be used to. There is a planned 16 player game mode in which team play is the central focus to winning. The introduction of command post systems will add a new angle to multiplayer conflicts, helping to turn the tide of the battle and allowing access to greater machinery and strategic locations. Besides this new feature, expect the usual intense and highly developed combat that you would see in any other FPS game. Graphically, the game also looks very professional, with the environment well established and a strong attention to detail noticed on the characters. It is minor additions such as these that are combining to hopefully provide a fresh gaming experience for all.

Overall, Brink is shaping up to be a vibrant success offering a mix of dynamic battlefields, and character customization which has not yet been seen to such an extent in a big release. The key issue will be seeing if all of this can link together seamlessly or if it will see players confused by the differing objectives, menus and structure of the game. However, with the effort and development that has gone into the game, it is clear that Brink is most likely to be a great release, offering an alternative style which is going to be well received.

Last edited by WNxDrMath; 06-07-2010 at 09:55 AM..

Warrior Nation

WNxPPK
06-07-2010, 11:17 AM
Unregistered
#
Nice preview. The game looks good and promises a bunch of good stuff. Let's see if they deliver or if it works as well as it sounds. Isn't this one using id Tech 4 as the game engine?

Last edited by WNxPPK; 07-02-2010 at 05:00 AM..

Warrior Nation
Secondary: Diablo 3

Russian Federation WNxKrakie
06-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Local Time: 08:54 AM
Justice
Follow the law!
Nice review mate I liked the video and I'm going to watch for this game ...
Looks really interesting for me ! + rep
/thanks )

My Warrior Nation history
http://warriornation.net/Forum/signaturepics/sigpic43894_23.gif
Part 1, Part 2

Warrior Nation

WNx iRawwwrr
06-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Unregistered
#
Great review. The game comes out 10 days before my B-Day so its a great early B-Day present and will hopefully hold me till Black Ops. If I'm correct it isn't coming out only on the PC though.

Warrior Nation

WNxCuTty
06-09-2010, 05:24 AM
Unregistered
#
Nice review ! Looks good +Rep

-Cutty

Warrior Nation

United Kingdom WNxHorizon
06-09-2010, 06:10 AM
Local Time: 04:54 AM
Dishonorable Discharge
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNx E R i S E Dx View Post
Great review. The game comes out 10 days before my B-Day so its a great early B-Day present and will hopefully hold me till Black Ops. If I'm correct it isn't coming out only on the PC though.
Nope, but you can only select one box when filling out the preview

Warrior Nation

WNxJezza
06-09-2010, 09:21 AM
Unregistered
#
*cough* new secondary, only to Starcraft 2...
looks like an amazing game.. hope it lives up to its Potential... coz at the moment, it looks like a great game.. i never got borderlands, though i wanted to, but my friends didnt because of the cartoon graphics... this is more serious and less cartoony so i reckon there will be a bunch.. + WN = LOTS OF FUN offline and online haha x)

Warrior Nation

Colombia WNxThorsTer
06-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Local Time: 08:54 PM
FPS God ~!
Looks pretty interesting.

Nice interview bro!

-T-

Love me or Perish! Choose wisely!
ThorsTer
ThorsTer! ツ: im the shit brah! ... WNxMadglide: ye ... WNxMadglide: you are <3 ... WNxMadglide: I'm your bitch!

Warrior Nation

United States WNxMacoBandit
06-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Local Time: 09:54 PM
Honorable Discharge
P.S. Your Dead
The game looks like a cartoonized rainbow 6 or call of duty. graphics are alright but i would like to see what it would look like if it were life like. I bet it would good money. But overall i think it looks like a promissing game.

Warrior Nation

United States WNxSlySamurai
06-15-2010, 01:01 AM
Alpha, Always.
Nice preview . I like the SMART idea and if its focused on team multiplayer then we might be able to get something going for WN.

-Sly

[18:34] Indicon~!: Yo BIATCH what say you and I make hot sweet love in a jello pit?

Warrior Nation

United States WNxBamster
07-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Local Time: 08:54 PM
Honorable Discharge
Great review. Saw this at E3 can't wait till it comes out.

Warrior Nation

WNxAegis
07-01-2010, 09:46 PM
Unregistered
Not a bad review, definitely something to look into. Thanks for posting the video for my lazy arse so I dont have to youtube ;P, +rep

Warrior Nation

WNxKrypton
07-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Unregistered
Awesome preview, this game looks cool, I think I'll be checking it out upon release.

Warrior Nation

WNxZebulon
08-21-2010, 01:39 AM
Unregistered
Any game from bethesda is a good game ! I think this will live up to the promises made.

Warrior Nation

WNxStenchrot
08-25-2010, 06:13 PM
Unregistered
Looks awesome.

is the multiplayer going to be p2p?

Primary: Xbox Division
Warrior Nation

Canada WNxChange
08-25-2010, 07:17 PM
Development FPS
Omnia Passim
Huh, this looks like it'll be pretty good. Now I just have to figure out if I should get it on PC or Xbox 360. +Rep for Horizon!

"Brothers a idiot, he should have ran faster." - WNxSabrina

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_wyfM2-ie-g - My car flipped over =\

Warrior Nation
Secondary: Diablo 3

United Kingdom WNxevertn4lif
09-01-2010, 10:28 AM
Local Time: 05:54 AM
nice review, hadn't even heard of the game before this, im probably going to go get it when it comes out, not sure which platfrom yet though

Warrior Nation

WNxXcutioner
09-01-2010, 10:39 AM
Unregistered
i saw the trailer for Brink today and i have to say im majorly impressed by the graphics and the possible story. im just disappointed i cant play it since my PC is pretty ancient in terms of graphics. im surprised to not see they are plannign ports for the PS3 or Xbox

BigX

Warrior Nation

WNx Ensign Toru
09-13-2010, 11:25 PM
Unregistered
yeah Bethesda never made a bad game yet
I wonder how their shooter will turn out

Warrior Nation

WNxIrisheyez
09-14-2010, 09:48 AM
Unregistered
With splash damage working on this..it will be a damn good shooter.

I already have this game pre-ordered, and we need to hit this game hard at the start because this is for sure a WN game

Closed Thread