Thread: Preview: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

WNxThade
08-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Unregistered
#
Preview: Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

Platform: PC
Genre: RPG
Date of Release: After Half-life 2
ESRB: 16+
Publisher: EA Games
Developer: Troika
One Line Summary: A first person RPG about vampires, developed with the Source engine.

Lonely a man walks down a dark alley of downtown L.A. As his blood is filled with alcohol he can not see that a shadow follows him from the dark. He stumbles trough these back alleys not knowing where to go or what to do. Totally drunk the man finally collapses on to the ground. He lies on the ground and just before he would fall into a deep sleep he sees a shadow. Something is wandering around in the dark. “W w who is there?” the man stumbles restless. No sound is heard in the dark. The man looks up and sees the moon that shines above the buildings that surround him. He looks back where he saw the “thing” and catches a glimpse of his face in the moonlight. His scream is broken with a bite in his neck. A moment later the shadow runs back through this world of darkness while his victim is getting up. Blood drips from his neck. He opens his deep red eyes and wanders in the dark in the search of blood!

Sharpen those teeth
Today is blood on the menu with Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines (Bloodlines from now on). This game is the sequel of another vampire game released about 4 years ago. Though this wasn’t a to good game many gamers (such as me) anxiously await Bloodlines. Troika decided they needed to make the second Vampires game a lot better. So they hired White Wolf who has a lot of experience in pen paper RPG’s and made a deal with Valve’s about their Source engine. Combine this with a fantastic theme and you’ve got an explosive mix that will make a great game. One of the main reasons the game isn’t released yet because according to their contract the game can’t be released before Half-Life 2.

Story

The game begins after your blood has been drained from your body by a vampire. And so your corner teeth start to grow and your thirst for blood takes inhuman proportions. Yes that’s right you’re a vampire from now on. The game will take place in the so called “World of darkness.” Troika describes it as a gothic version of what we call mother earth. Add a few vampires, ghouls and other scum and you’ve got the perfect setting for a dark, mysterious and frightening world. In this world the Carmilla holds the strains tighten. This is a kind of vampire government. They keep there vampires in control and set out rules. Since the odds of humans versus vampires are about 100 to 1, the Carmilla needs to keep the vampires in the background and hidden for the humans. You start your vampire career at the bottom of the social ladder and through quests the Carmilla prince gives you, you will gain experience and fame among the vampire society. These quests can vary from talking to someone and get some info to getting an out of control vampire in to control. You will complete all these quest in the gothic version of L.A. Santa Monica, Chinatown, Hollywood and downtown L.A. are the huge levels that will be your playground.

Non-linear bloodsucking
One of the main promises Troika made was a non-linear gameplay never seen before in a game. You will always have multiple to solve a quest according to what vampire clan you have picked. The more stealthy players will have chosen a more stealthy character and will solve quests by sneaking past guards. The brutal player who slashes his way through the quest will take his enemies down with guns, hammers, etc. The weapons remind me a bit of GTA but few is known of weapons (since the website does not clear this point). There will be ranged and melee weapons. Changing the view to first person (or playing in first person) will allow accurate firing with weapons as never seen before in an RPG. At those moments it seems like you’ve ended up in a FPS. But not only weapons are the path to victory. Vampire god powers can determine the outcome of a battle in your advantage. I’ve seen some kind of superspeed (Celerity) combined with superpowers (Potence) to battle against other vampires. Celerity created some kind of matrix effect and dodging bullets would be one of the possibilities.

What a vampire is all about!
Animalism
Embracing the beast within, Animalism allows an individual to recognize and manipulate all animals around him.
Auspex
This discipline allows one to see the auras of Kindred (vampire) or Kine (human).
Celerity
Through the use of vitae, the Kindred can accelerate his body to the point when the world around him slows to a crawl.
Dementation
This discipline allows the Malkavian to pour out their insanity onto stable-minded individuals.
Dominate
Preying on the weak-willed, this discipline allows Kindred to control the feeble-minded Kine.
Fortitude
A defensive power that endows a vampire with legendary roughness.
Obfuscate
Through the use of this discipline, a Kindred will be able to conceal himself from the senses of others.
Potence
A discipline that grants supernatural strength to a vampire.
Presence
A powerful and subtle tool that enables a vampire to become more attractive and influential.
Protean
Drawing on the beast within, this discipline allows the player to alter his or her physical form.
Thaumaturgy
Developed by the Tremere, thaumaturgy is the use of blood magic and dark, arcane arts

To fight or not to fight?
“NPC’s will express feelings of hatred, admiration, love, obsession or an intense desire to kill.” This is how NPC’s are described on the official site. Conversation and interaction with NPC’s will become one of the major parts of Bloodlines. While talking with an NPC various options will be given (from 1 to 4) to manipulate the conversation. Some vampire type’s have persuasion skills and will use this while talking with NPC’s. This might convince your enemy of your point of view and prevent a fight.

Multiplay
I was really relieved when I first found out that this game has a multiplay option. Though singleplay will be the main purpose of this game. In multiplay you’ll chose a vampire clan, weapons, skills, attributes and talents. You will have to accomplish objectives while the opponents try to prevent you from completing these. It’s not known which types of multiplay are included in the game but I’m hoping a race to drain the blood of a target will be included.

What a RPG is all about
Like every RPG the game begins with character creation. You chose a vampire clan (scroll down), a gender and a history. You can not change the appearance of your vampire. As compensation you will be able to change clothes later on. The clothes will also increase armor, speed, etc. The different clans will have different advantages and disadvantages so you better pick a character matching your gaming style. Afterwards you distribute your first points in attributes, abilities and disciplines. Examples would be strength, dexterity, etc. This way you can evolve the character the way you want it. The attributes, abilities and disciplines cause the skills to evolve to higher levels.

What's those a vampire late at night? Right, sucking blood out of innocent victims. In bloodlines there be no exception made to the rule. As a a vampire you will need blood for the vampire skills. You will have a bloodmeter that will indicate when fresh blood is needed. Then you can better run to a dark alley to suck the blood out of a lonely victim. Why lonely? The Carmilla forbids you to lay a neck in your teeth in public. This would upset people and make vampires a prey to hunt. But when you're desperatly in need of blood your vampire will become out of control and will attack the first humans he sees. So you better keep the bloodmeter full with some lonely victims. You can also suck the blood out of animals or pay a visit to the local hospital for some bloodbags because killing to many people will cause you to become less human and more an animal.

Graphics
The Valve Source engine stuns the player with amazing eye candy. The surrounding look beautiful and the NPC’s look very realistic. Facial animations are very nicely done and really contribute to the conversation. You can see when a NPC is mad or happy. Another great aspect is the physics engine. I’ve seen monsters tearing down a balcony where a player stood on. Result: a bad fall and a mad monster after u. This aspect of the game can’t go wrong anymore but let’s not forget that good graphics aren’t a guarantee for a great game.

The vampire clans
Malkavian clan
Malkavians are the real psychos under the vampires. Their “inner voices” will lead them to do crazy thinks. Madness and insanity are the words who match this clan.

Nosferatu clan
Nosferatu aren’t mother’s prettiest. They’re ugly and deformed and will scare the wits out of people. Nosferatu’s are stealthy and don’t want to be seen. They’re the perfect spies.

Brujah clan
Brujah are natural brutes, they kill before asking. Their fists are as hard as steel and weapons aren’t strange for them.

Tremere clan
Betraying is one of the Tremer’s best talents. “As trustfully as a Tremere” is an often used expression is certain groups. Persuasion and betrayal when they cross your path.

Toreador clan
The Toreador populate the high-society among vampires. Because of their way of live and appearance they are one of the most seen clans. They have a weak for art and can be found in museums, etc.

Gangrel clan
Nomads they are called, loners, introverts. Gangrels have kept their connection with nature and have strong bindings with nature and animals.

Venture clan
Ventures find their roots in knights and nobles from the dark ages. Now they occupy the aristocracy and hold high positions in corporations.

Multimedia
Screenshots
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Trailers and movies
Walthrough movie (100mb, gamershell)
Movie (14.9mb, gamershell)

Sources
PC Gameplay (magazine)
Offical site (need to be older then 16 to view)
Gamebanshee (for screenshots)

Conclusion
Bloodlines has it all to make a great game. The gaming hall of fame might be a little to high but with the fantastic Source engine few can still go wrong. The RPG seems great but this can not be concluded before a playable version reaches our hard disks. I personally will be watching this game and I’ll be one on the first to buy it and get it in WN.

WNxThade

Warrior Nation

WNxPapug
08-12-2004, 11:12 AM
Unregistered
#
ok nice very nice:] hehehehehe
dude post me a link to this review in
Re/Preview List

and dont forget to a future to add Preview or review

Warrior Nation

WNxDrugsAddicted
08-13-2004, 10:47 AM
Unregistered
#
that game looks sweet im going to get that
and nice preview to

Warrior Nation

WNxDownY
08-14-2004, 07:41 AM
Unregistered
#
Wow, this game has a really awesome flash site. I love it. NIce work thade, really starting to impress me as a new recruiter.

Great job,

~\DownY/~

Warrior Nation

WNxThade
08-14-2004, 07:50 AM
Unregistered
#
I hate the flash site, I had to rewrite all the info about clans and skills instead of copypasting it

Warrior Nation

WNxPrince Of Aus
08-15-2004, 05:49 AM
Unregistered
#
Very impressive game review. What will it's multiplyer involve?

Warrior Nation

WNxThade
08-15-2004, 08:21 AM
Unregistered
#
The players chose a vampire clan and some skills. Then one team tries to complete objectives while another team tries to prevent. Little is known about multiplayer atm.

Warrior Nation

WNxBurr
08-21-2004, 10:34 AM
Unregistered
#
Veeery nice.. Vampire the masquerade owns. and probably will this. I can recommend Vampire single player.

Warrior Nation

WNx_RobinoHood
08-28-2004, 07:30 AM
Unregistered
#
I bought Vampire the Masquerade when it got out at once ! I remember I saw a trailer back then and I was so impressed, well the game was GOOD! I mean the graphics they so ruled for that time, the storyline the effects and movies and most of all the soundtrack just awesome ! I am so gonna get this game too !

Closed Thread