Thread: Preview: Guild Wars
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

WNxThade
07-11-2004, 11:56 AM
Unregistered
#
Preview: Guild Wars
Click the image to open in full size.

Developer: Arenanet
Publisher: NCsoft
Expected release date: second half of 2004
This game in a nutshell: A MMORPG with very nice graphics, no monthly fees and a streaming technology to keep your hard disk not to full. Might (and will some say) compete with the great ones such as World of Warcraft.

Guild wars, yet another MMORPG I might hear u saying. But a few gameplay elements, the fantastic graphics, their remarkable business strategy and a streaming technology should make this game different and make it even a strong competitor against upcoming MMORPG’s such as World of Warcraft and Everquest 2.

No monthly fee, am I dreaming?
Let me begin by saying that this game will require no monthly fees to keep on playing. The monthly fees are often one of the reasons why not so wealthy players aren’t found in a MMO game. The compensation for the lack of monthly fees will be the release of new “chapters”. The can be compared with add-ons. However you will not be forced to buy these new “chapters” who will appear every 6 to 9 months. If u find a chapter less interesting u can let it go by and await the next one. This will off course restrict the access to certain added areas, certain spells and certain weapons.

What is streaming?
As I wrote before a streaming technology will be used to play the game. This will make the game very small in size to install. You will always download the needed content from their servers. For example, you will only download the area that you’re in and if you’re fighting monster X, you will not find the data for monster Y and Z on your pc, they will be streamed when necessary. This technology holds a lot of advantages. You will never have to download enormous patches; the updated content will be streamed when needed. It will also prevent cheating because fixes can be quickly made and streamed. The backside of this technology is that a broadband connection will be highly advised and you’ll spend a lot of bandwidth playing this game.

What about gameplay?
In Guild Wars only one race is supported, naturally the good old humans. After creating your character and optimizing his looks you’ll have to choose your first profession. At the moment six professions are supported (scroll down). After a certain period (which is not determined yet) a second profession will be chosen. The two professions you have chosen will allow you to train skills. The skills (also scroll down) will be the attacks you can use in combat. Four skills of your two professions will regenerate and be used when you feel that the time is right. When attacking an opponent you will begin a skill based fight, you will attack with your weapon, dodge and parry. Let’s say you’re a warrior/monk, now u can use your warrior skills which will improve melee combat and your monk skills to heal, etc. It’s kind of like fighting with a hero in Warcraft 3, only in a 3rd person view and with double as much skills.

Professions and skills
Currently six professions are avaible in the game. More professions might be added (and I hope so) before release

Elementalist
Master of arcane lore, the Elementalist calls down natural forces of unparalleled might to do her bidding.

Example of skill
Click the image to open in full size. Blast
Projectile deals fire damage to target enemy.

Mesmer
Through a mixture of magic and personal charisma, the Mesmer casts spells to subvert the damage-dealing capabilities of others.

Example of skill
Click the image to open in full size. Backfire
For the next 10 seconds, whenever target enemy casts a spell, that enemy takes 22+ damage.

Monk
The servant of divine spirits, the Monk uses prayer to protect, preserve and restore the well-being of companions.

Example of skill
Click the image to open in full size. Banish
Target foe takes holy damage. Banish deals extra damage to summoned creatures.

Necromancer
One who has learned to draw power from blood sacrifice and communion with death, the Necromancer relies on black magic and undead minions to aid in the battle.

Example of skill
Click the image to open in full size. Faintheartedness
For the next 20+ seconds, target enemy's attack speed is reduced.

Ranger
An agile and wily survivor, the Ranger specializes in archery, stealth, scouting, and attunement to nature.

Example of skill
Click the image to open in full size. Called shot
This arrow shot deals 8+ extra damage.

Warrior
The mightiest of mighty, the bravest of the brave, the Warrior must have the strength and toughness to endure the rigors of combat.

Example of skill
Click the image to open in full size. "For great justice"
For the next 15 seconds your adrenal skills charge faster.

You can find more info here

Guilds?
Now let me explain what the title is all about. Guild Wars will focus a lot on guilds and their battles. There are mission supported for guild versus guild battles. Mission like capture the flag, king of the hill and defend your fortress will be included. In a Gamespy preview there is described how two groups have to defend their fortress while trying to take over the other one. You’ll have to use tactics and teamplay to reach victory. Attacking one by one will not lead to victory, but attacking with a well-balanced group with healers, fighters and rangers will bring you a lot closer to your triumph. And die-hard players who’d sacrifice their own mother for another hour of levelling will not always be the strongest. Instead training your skills at NPC and using them good are more worth then a highly raised strength.

Guild Wars also tends to get the boring, long travelling out of the game. You should be able to swiftly travel to city or outpost by a teleportation system. This will prevent you from travelling for a long time. Item crafting was a bit more down their list of priorities; you will not be able to make items yourself. Instead u can collect certain resources for weapons and let a blacksmith make the finishing product.

Graphics, how do they look?
The graphics of this game look astonishing, the screenshots may be placed in our category “eyecandy.” And this isn’t a surprising fact if u know that Arenanet was founded by 3 ex-Blizzard employees. They have worked on the graphic engine of Warcraft 3 and even a part of the World of Warcraft engine. The game also looks a bit “Blizzard.” The surroundings are very colourful and not dark and realistic. Some people even called Guild Wars the game of E3 2004 because of the beautiful graphics.

Gallery
Screenshots
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

More screenshots

Concept Art
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

More concept art

Sources and Links
Sources
Offical site
The Guild Hall fansite
Gamespy Preview
PC Gameplay (Belgian gaming magazine)
Links
Guild Wars E3 2003 trailer (gamershell)
Gamespot coverage videos

Conclusion
Guild Wars looks very promising especially the lack of monthly fees make it sounds very interesting. The graphics also enlarge the feeling this is going to be a big hit. But a few questions still dazzle in my mind. What if they can’t get enough people to buy the game and how are they going to hold this up when they charge no monthly fees? Will the streaming technology exclude the 56k’ers? And will the promised gameplay keep up with the great ones coming up? If they can come up with a positive answer to my doubts I’m pretty sure this will make one of the best MMORPG’s of 2004 (or 2005 :cwm25: ).

WNxThade

Warrior Nation

WNxDownY
07-11-2004, 12:01 PM
Unregistered
#
Damn nice work dude, I am gonna consider this work and keep it in mind should you ever deicde to apply for a recruiter job.

Excellent job, look out everyone......here comes thade

~\DownY/~

Warrior Nation

WNxThade
07-11-2004, 12:14 PM
Unregistered
#
Thanks alot downy

Warrior Nation

WNxSlimShady
07-12-2004, 08:25 PM
Unregistered
#
Great review! I played the e3 trial of this game, and i loved it. The fact that there will not be any fees will definitely spark my interest. I'll happily secondary any guild wars section after this review and my game experience. I only wish i could have played longer.

Warrior Nation

WNxYouCanCry
07-13-2004, 08:32 AM
Unregistered
#
Nice thade,you almost made me buy it

Warrior Nation

WNxPrince Of Aus
07-13-2004, 08:50 AM
Unregistered
#
sweet review thade, great to see non-recruiters having a go. high quality stuff.

Warrior Nation

WNxKhalen
07-17-2004, 01:25 AM
Unregistered
#
hehe that was sexy....wubbed it...RAWR

Warrior Nation

WNxRulingA
07-17-2004, 04:55 AM
Unregistered
#
Not too shabby - but theres alot more info out there you could've included.

The current 6 classes are all that will be included in the initial release.

Warrior Nation

WNxPython
07-17-2004, 04:27 PM
Unregistered
#
Yeah nice review, but im with RulA for once, theres quite abit you missed out there. Other than that, nice work!

Warrior Nation

WNxColor
07-26-2004, 10:47 PM
Unregistered
Not bad could call it a short preview ,I want this game so bad I wish they would realse it now allrdy.

Warrior Nation

WNxPython
07-27-2004, 11:17 AM
Unregistered
RulA, Color and I are the 3 most people anticipating this game...I think about it nearly everyday But that might just be because the GW's site is on my "Links" bar :p

Warrior Nation

WNxSnipeRS6
07-27-2004, 03:40 PM
Unregistered
the fact that it si an MMORPG with no monthly fee's interests me. I'll have to check this out. I despise games that make you pay for it and then pay monthly.

Warrior Nation

WNxSnipeRS6
07-30-2004, 12:47 PM
Unregistered
Checked it out the other week and i can't wait to make this my secondary ^.^

Warrior Nation

Iceland WNxToto
07-30-2004, 12:52 PM
Local Time: 09:18 PM
prefect, flawless <3 its good

Warrior Nation

WNxSnipeRS6