Thread: Review: Americas Army
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

WNxPrince Of Aus
07-08-2004, 04:11 AM
Unregistered
#
Review: Americas Army
Join the Army: Go to exotic places, meet interesting people, and kill them……
Americas Army

Platform: PC
Genre: First Person Shooter
Date of Release: Out right now: www.americasarmy.com
ESRB: Teen Rated
Publisher: US Army
Developer: US Army
One Sentence Summary (43/50, 86%, A-): The US army would know war better than any other group of people on the planet, so finally they decided to make a game about it….

Game Information

Story (7/10):

At first glance there seems to be no story involved in AA, but as you look deeper into the game a story starts to appear. You start off as a raw recruit ready for training, and before each part of training you undertake you can read about the army history and what you will be facing. As you move on in training things become more complex and you soon move your way through the ranks from a grunt, to medic, to sniper and finally to special forces member.

When playing online some levels are intertwined with each other if you read the level description and normally it involves you and your force of troops fighting of evil terrorist’s intent on causing no good.

Graphics (9/10):

The game graphics are based on the next generation Unreal graphics engine. The graphics are very crisp and clear and are a strong point of the game. The landscape is looks good and weapons look ultra realistic. Seeing tracer fire from heavy machine guns is impressive as well as very daunting to those dodging it!

Character models are clear crisp and 3D and are quite good looking; enemy terrorists really look the part with rag tag clothing and balaclavas.

The games newest patch has added a new “rag doll” feature. This means when people die they slump to the ground or fly through the air or roll down hills like they would in real life. It’s great to see you lifeless body slowly slipping and rolling down a hillside after a failed assault! :p

Click the image to open in full size.

Great shooting!

WNx cheating caught in the act!!!:p

Terrorist watching, a great alternative to bird watching.......

In a crate with nothing to do....damn campers:p

Sound and Music (10/10):

One word can sum up the sound effects in Americas Army: BRILLIANT. Never before has sound effects been used so well in any game I have played to make it seem like you really are in the heat of a battle. The excellent voice acting and radio sounds are great. Someone yelling “MEDIC” over echoing sniper fire really is enthralling. When you open fire you hear the burst of your gun, the gun jamming, shell casings hitting the ground. The heavy machine guns sound especially daunting as they open fire with a roar. Those on the receiving end of enemy fire can hear the bullets whiz realistically buy or hear the fire hitting the ground in front of them. When those around are hit by bullets you can actually hear the thud of the bullets tearing into them.

Game Play/Control (9/10):

To start playing Americas Army players must first complete basic training. Now, unlike most starting tutorials which seem very unnecessary to complete, Americas Army’s training is treated like the real thing and players must complete training to a satisfactory level if they wish to play online. Training is also used to pick who can or can not have certain positions and equipment on the battlefield.

The training has five different levels with each level containing smaller components. The first is basic training, where you learn to shoot your rifle accurately, move around an obstacle course, advanced weapons familiarisation and run a practice assault course. The special thing about AA is that once you finish training you are given s specific score or grade, and that determines what other skills you can or cannot do. If you were unable to hit 36 out of 40 targets during rifle training then Sniper training will be unavailable until you can. And if you have not completed Sniper training then you cannot pick the Sniper rifle at the beginning of games as there are generally only allowed two sniper rifles per team. This is great as it prevents noobs from taking and wasting these powerful weapons.

As well as basic and sniper training you can also undergo medic training (so you can heal injured team-mates), airborne training, and Special Forces training. All training is incredible real (you even have to listen to a bunch of lectures and do a test to be a medic!!). Training may seem long and boring if completed all at once, however, it does give the game a real “feel” and also helps by keeping the harder scenarios for those only to a certain skill level.

The controls are your simple WSAD configuration which can be modified to suit yourself. There are not too many extra buttons and so for those experiences in FPS games should have no problem with controls. The mouse can be a bit unresponsive at times but that can be changed in the configuration options menu.

The game itself uses the basic objective based system. Two opposing teams must either defend/assault their enemies’ objective. No matter what team you choose you will always appear as US soldiers, and the enemy will always appear as terrorists. Both teams weapons look different, and when you pick them up they act differently, BUT both teams are actually the same when in the hands of your own team. It’s hard to explain, but when you play you will understand: p.

Multi-Player (8/10):

This game is basically an online game only. There is no single player aspect at all apart from the training aspect. To start playing you simply click on “deployment” and choose a server. The US Army has a large amount of servers to play on and these are generally the best to start out in. Punkbuster is always running on these servers and I have not seen any cheating while I’ve played. The multiplayer is a very real simulation of battle, however, some people may find it a little slow and may become angry when they are constantly killed early in the game and have to wait for the new round to begin :p.

AA’s major online problem is its server instability. I have tried to join many games and the Authorisation system goes down meaning people cannot join games. However, this is becoming rarer and with a few more patches could be worked out.

Summing Up:

Good FPS games are a dime in a dozen, and free good FPS games are even rarer. This is a gem of a game that I would recommend people download. It is free so your not losing anything but time. The game is good for a change from more frantic FPS games and it is nice to sometimes just pretend you really are in the Army doing your bit for Uncle Sam.

SOURCES:

www.americasarmy.com
warriornation.net/Forum/showthread.php?t=44105

Special thx to the WNx Americas Army section for the screenies

Warrior Nation

WNxDownY
07-08-2004, 06:16 AM
Unregistered
#
Wow, dam nice review dude, i havent played this game yet, had a bit of trouble downloading it and so i decided not to bother. But know i kinda want to d/l it again. Great job with that, serious contender for next months award. Looks like all you other recruiters have your work cut out for you, great example set by aus, good work dude.

~\DownY/~

Warrior Nation

WNxCombatDuck
07-08-2004, 07:38 AM
Unregistered
#
Great Increddible and no spelling errors

Warrior Nation

United States WNxbenthebomb
07-08-2004, 09:25 AM
Local Time: 02:31 AM
great review i think all of the AA section (if they all werent LOA) would be proud. good job man.

Warrior Nation

WNxDuncanIdaho
07-08-2004, 11:02 AM
Unregistered
#
Lol ben but it is true, this review is great

Warrior Nation

WNxPapug
07-08-2004, 11:04 AM
Unregistered
#
i told u u done good review :]

Warrior Nation

WNxHogan
07-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Unregistered
#
darn good review...been waiting for some one to make a review on the game

Warrior Nation

WNxSlimShady
07-10-2004, 11:10 PM
Unregistered
#
Ok, just 2 things i gotta say: 1. Thanks, this will get more people to get interested hopefully. 2. The screenies are all mine!! WHEEE lol

Primary: Overwatch
Warrior Nation

United States WNxArchmage
07-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Local Time: 01:31 AM
Yawn
great job... and benthebombs right... all of us active aa members r proud of it... lol

Number of PS3 Platinum Trophies: 5
Dance Kirby Dance! <('.'<) (>'.')>

Closed Thread