Thread: Preview: World of Warcraft
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

WNxDeathtrial
06-20-2004, 04:41 PM
Unregistered
#
Preview: World of Warcraft
World Of Warcraft

Platform: PC
Genre: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (MMORPG)
Date of Release: Possibly by the end of 2004…or was that 2005?
ESRB: RP (Rating Pending)
Publisher: Blizzard Entertainment
Developer: Blizzard Entertainment

One Line Summary (45/50, 90%, A): Experience the immense world of Warcraft in real-time through the eyes of a hero created in your image with thousands of other gamers online.

Game Information

Story (9/10): World of Warcraft begins where Warcraft III ends. Throwing aside their racial hatreds, the Alliance and the Horde banded together to successfully stop the invasion of the Scourge. This victory behind them, the people of Azeroth begin rebuilding their damaged kingdoms. There are two factions for you to choose from, the Alliance and the Horde. The Alliance consists of Humans, Dwarves, Night Elves, and Gnomes. The Horde consists of Orcs, Trolls, Tauren, and Undead. You will be able to choose from many different classes: Warrior, Mage, Druid, Hunter, Warlock, Priest, Paladin, Rogue, and Shaman. The story is now in your hands…as a player in World of Warcraft it will be your job to shape the future of Azeroth. Whether you decide to become an expert fisherman or a killer of powerful creatures, this game will keep you captivated for a long time.

Graphics (8/10): Looking at screenshots of World of Warcraft, you will find the graphics are nowhere near as realistic as Doom III, Half-Life 2, or Everquest II…but they are not meant to be. Blizzard always tends to go for gameplay, not graphics. These cartoonish graphics get the job done well, however. Beautiful scenes can still be found in World of Warcraft and at the same time will not require you to sell three of your limbs to buy a new video card for your computer. The graphics allow for smooth performance and get the job done well without looking outdated.

Sound and Music (9/10): Blizzard has always done a great job with music in their games. You won’t hear this kind of music being played if you turn on the radio…but it sets a very good mood for the game. Music will reflect what is happening in the game, meaning that if you are in a battle, the music will not be peaceful and serene but will set the stage for a fight. The voicing in Blizzard games has also been amazing…remember the days when you would click the units over and over until they started saying funny stuff? Blizzard will surely find some way to incorporate this into World of Warcraft.

Game Play/Control (10/10): Game play is very smooth. Moving between zones does NOT mean you are about to wait a long time while the new zone loads. Apparently this transition is seamless and instantaneous. Battles sound like they are going to be much more involved and entertaining than those of other MMORPG games such as Everquest. As for kill stealing, this problem was addressed and there should be a system implemented to prevent this from happening. Private dungeons are available to groups. Upon your death, you won’t appear at a bind point or your starting city. You will find that you are now a ghost and are found in the graveyard zone. You now have a few options: Be resurrected by another player, run to and retreive your body, or have a NPC resurrect you. The second option is made easier by the fact you are extremely fast, invisible to most monsters and players, and can walk on water. Death doesn’t sound so bad now, does it? Many tradeskills are available, such as the traditional blacksmithing and tailoring, but many new ones are also available such as mining. While you do have the option of running from city to city, you also have the opportunity to purchase a mount (unless you are a tauren, in this case you get the plain running ability, which causes you to run as fast as a mount for a period of time). You can also use air transportation, which flies you over the kingdom of Azeroth and gives you the opportunity to be amazed by its beauty. Boats are available for sea transportation. Gameplay has always been a strong point of games produced by Blizzard, and it should continue to be in World of Warcraft.

Multi-Player (9/10): This game is an online only game. The downside to this means you will be forking over a monthly fee. The game will be able to support hundreds of thousands of gamers. Lag may be a problem for 56k gamers, but most of us in Warrior Nation have at least a DSL connection and a pretty good computer, meaning lag for the most part lag should not be a problem. This is one of the most anticipated games of the year and should easily live up to its reputation. It looks to be one of the most fun games of the year and many magazines and game review sites are raving about it. The game will likely incorporate a guild system. The mighty Warrior Nation will surely be created and wage war with enemy guilds, destroying all of their hopes and dreams when we defeat them. My only problem is that you can only create one character per server, meaning you will need to choose very wisely when you pick your character. Speaking of picking characters, you will be treated to a unique cinematic based upon your choice.

Multimedia

Screenshots:

Races:
Humans
Click the image to open in full size.
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Home City: Stormwind

Night Elves
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Home City: Darnassus

Dwarves
Home City: Ironforge

Gnomes
Home City: Ironforge

Orcs
Home City: Orgrimmar

Tauren
Home City: Thunder Bluff

Undead
Home City: The Undercity

Trolls
Home City: Orgrimmar

Classes:
Paladin
Available to: Human, Dwarf
Description: Warriors of the light. They benefit party members with their healing, buffs, and auras.

Rogue
Available to: Human, Dwarf, Night Elf, Gnome, Orc, Undead, Troll
Description: Masters of stealth. Specialize in the use of daggers, knives, and short swords, used to backstab opponents. Rogues are often spies, assassins, or thieves.

Priest
Available to: Human, Dwarf, Night Elf, Undead, Troll
Description: The healers of Azeroth. Priests can buff their party greatly with spells and heal the wounds of their party. The job of a priest is not the most exciting but is most definately beneficial.

Hunter
Available to: Night Elf, Dwarf, Orc, Tauren, Troll
Description: Masters of the outdoors. Hunters specialize in tracking various animals and taming them. Hunters are always on the move, relying on their keen skills in the outdoors. While proficient with the use of melee weapons, hunters also can use bows and firearms.

Warlock
Available to: Human, Gnome, Undead, Orc
Description: Very powerful mages that have fallen into the use of demonic magic. Their magic is often destructive and is given to them by the Burning Legion.

Druid
Available to: Night Elf, Tauren
Description: Protectors of nature. Druids draw their power from the earth. Capable of shapeshifting, druids are extremely powerful.

Warrior
Available to: All races
Description: Not your average, run of the mill warrior. Warriors are very proficient in their use of weapons and tactics, relying on them heavily to do battle with their enemy. Capable of using many combat abilities such as whirlwind and shield bash, warriors can give and take a heavy beating.

Mage
Available to: Human, Dwarf, Gnome, Undead, Troll
Description: Powerful casters of magic. Damage enemies through the use of spells. Not only can spells do damage, they can also benefit party members.

Shaman
Available to: Orc, Tauren, Troll
Description: Spiritual leaders of their tribal societies. Shaman draw their power from the earth, the sky, and fire. Shaman can damage enemies through their powers as well as heal their allies.

Other Eye Candy

Videos:
*Note: DivX is required to view these videos, courtesy of Blizzard Entertainment*
Click here to view a list of available videos

Music:

Click here and scroll near the bottom of the page for a list of available music

In Closing

This should be one of the top games of the year. Whether you are a player of Blizzard games, Warcraft, or MMORPGs, you should definately start saving up to buy this game and pay for the monthly fees. No doubt they will be worth it.

Sources:
Blizzard
World of Warcraft OGaming
WoW.WarcraftStrategy
PC Gamer Magazine
Computer Gaming Monthly Magazine

Last edited by WNxDeathtrial; 06-20-2004 at 05:10 PM..

Warrior Nation

WNxDownY
06-20-2004, 05:52 PM
Unregistered
#
HOly Moly, dam nice preview dude, I think everyone has been waiting for this game for centuries I will be so glad when it finally come sout.

Excellent screenies, and the music sounds quite interesting too. It sounds a lot more pofessionally done than the rest of the MMORPGs out there.

First Class Deathtrial, I am very impressed....good job

~\DownY/~

Warrior Nation

WNxGenral
06-20-2004, 08:04 PM
Unregistered
#
Very Very Nice review there man, alot of effort put into it. About the game looks good to me I am in the beta so i know

Gen

Warrior Nation

United Kingdom WNxIronheart
06-21-2004, 01:19 AM
Local Time: 08:49 AM
Official Guest
Taurens make me horny
I wish all previews could be that good.

It certainly sets the standard for everyone else

Warrior Nation

WNxJahyd
06-21-2004, 11:46 AM
Unregistered
#
Amazing preview of an amazing game. I am really looking forward to this game, but I really hope that the monthly fee will be quite small.

Warrior Nation

WNxThade
06-21-2004, 01:36 PM
Unregistered
#
Very,very good review. Keep it up!

Warrior Nation

WNxEsh
06-22-2004, 03:37 PM
Unregistered
#
wow...one hellofa preview...nice job man...atleast someone else appreciates the warcraft-style graphics.....

Warrior Nation

WNxIllusion
06-23-2004, 06:31 PM
Unregistered
#
Excellent review...please write some more

Warrior Nation

WNxDarkWizard
07-03-2004, 07:45 PM
Unregistered
#
i think this is a game i would definitly buy. one of my worst concerns is buying a new game and haveing to go buy a new video card just casue the graphics have 2 b better then the gameplay this game sounds awsome. the only reason i wouldn't play it is if its a game i have to pay for every month... :\ i'm pretty sure it is :\ which sucks for me. this review was insane. i love it so much please review more games dude.

Last edited by WNxDarkWizard; 07-03-2004 at 07:49 PM..

Warrior Nation

WNxKomodo
07-03-2004, 08:23 PM
Unregistered
Awesome review. Great job.

Warrior Nation

WNxArchane
07-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Unregistered
Well done mate, good review, it cleared up lots of questions i had too, nice one.

Warrior Nation

WNxGidah
08-07-2004, 01:14 PM
Unregistered
great job, looks nice gj on the review

Warrior Nation

WNxQuick-Fire
08-07-2004, 05:53 PM
Unregistered
wow, I am more of a FPS type of guy and really dont like RPGs that much but I am gonna have to give this game a look, great review man! Now I gotta go pre-order it

Last edited by WNxQuick-Fire; 08-07-2004 at 06:01 PM..

Warrior Nation

WNx_RobinoHood
08-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Unregistered
That's one nice written thing a good example to everyone, I can see you put effort in it and all the awesome screenshots made my interests for this game even bigger, THX !

Warrior Nation

WNxXerosanity
11-24-2004, 03:19 AM
Unregistered
Very nice review keep them coming

Warrior Nation

WNxBeast Warrior
11-24-2004, 04:38 AM
Unregistered
Awesome review! Great job, Insanity!

Primary: Diablo 3
Warrior Nation

Germany WNxZero-Hero
12-08-2004, 03:27 PM
Local Time: 03:49 PM
Official Guest
WarCraft III
Undisclosed
probably best game ever, but so expensive, i wont get it

Warrior Nation

WNxVash
12-09-2004, 08:30 AM
Unregistered
Wow look at all those pictures very good preveiw, nice job

Warrior Nation

WNxJurrieB
12-14-2004, 04:19 AM
Unregistered
very nice work i got 1 question i didnt followed all the news about wow thought it would take longer then 2 months to get out butt it seems its comming beginning 2005 so i got a question is it a p2p ? if it isnt il c you soon on wow

Warrior Nation

WNxPOINTBLANC
03-07-2005, 01:37 PM
Unregistered
Wat pay monthly cost?

Closed Thread