Thread: Review - Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

Belgium WNxJehera
02-15-2009, 11:16 AM
Local Time: 03:34 PM
Development > You
FoxHound's Sniper Wolf
Review - Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box
Preview
Author: WNxJehera

Burnout Paradise

Platform: PC
Genre Category: N/A
Date of Release: 2009
ESRB: E10+
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: Criterion Games
Rating: A
Official Site URL: http://www.criteriongames.com/

Click the image to open in full size.
Written by Jehera

PEGI: +3
OFLC: M
ESRB: E10+

Platform: PC
Date of Release: 2009
Genre Category: Racing
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: Criterion Games
Official Site URL: http://www.criteriongames.com/

Make paradise the way you want it!

Burnout Paradise is a racing game designed by Criterion Games. It’s known for its previous series on PlayStation 2 and has eventually been brought over to Xbox and PC. Burnout Paradise is a new look into the racing world, a racing world as we have never seen it before.

The World
Burnout Paradise is a game where you are free to race wherever you wish. The game has an open map of a pretty big town. Every road is accessible, but does not have to be taken just like that. The game has various shortcuts and stunt ramps which make the game an exciting race game. A great achievement of this game is that the world is an open map to use at all times and in every event, and without losing FPS. The game runs at a smooth and constant 60 FPS. The game has no loading times which makes this game one of the greatest games on PC ever.

Events
The game is cut into multiple events. There are 4 different types of events. Every event is a challenge to the finish and only first place is accepted as a victory. Fail to beat first place or beat the requirements will result into losing and having to replay the event. Each event is played into the entire world and every road is available for the taking, you are not being set on a locked track from the rest of the city. Events can be started by stopping and doing a burnout (smoking your wheels, not boosting) at the event location.

Road Rage:
Take your car into town and show what you are made of. You are against 5 other opponents in this event and you are supposed to take down as many opponents as possible. The required take downs per race go up by 1 every take down run you play. You are given the entire city and your chosen vehicle to achieve victory. You are to take down the required number of cars before your time runs out or before you have been taken down 3 times. Hitting a repair shop will result into 3 new lives which may be a good idea to do.

( screenies of a car taken down while wrecking myself )

Race:
A race event isn’t hard to guess what your goal is. You are set in town and are given a finish location. You are to get there first by all means necessary. Every road in town is a way to get there but following opponents or normal roads isn’t always the fastest way, you can take shortcuts or ramps to save miles and get to the finish a lot quicker. Taking down an opponent might come in handy when you are having troubles with passing them by. There are no rules except finishing first out of 8.

Marked Man:

In Marked Man you are supposed to reach the finish line, but this time, things aren’t as easy as a normal race. There are 3 cars on your tail trying to ram you off the road. These cars are built for pure takedowns and speed, choosing a strong vehicle may just save your sorry butt as you try to reach the finish. No matter the speed you drive they will always catch you up to hit you of the road, of course it’s also possible to ram them back and pull off a takedown against them. Hitting repair shops may seem valuable as well, as you only have 3 lives to reach the finish.

Stunt Run:
In Stunt Run you have to achieve the set amount of points by doing stunts all over the city. You are given a time limit to achieve these stunt points and again, the whole city is available for your usage, although it may seem normal that you only drive within a limited area as you have to beat the score into the given amount of time. Flips and barrel rolls as well as air time will give extra scores and will even multiply the amount of score you have won by doing a specific stunt or combo of stunts. The higher the combo the higher your multiplier and given points will get.

Burning Route:
This one is a rather new concept to the series. You have to get a specific car for each burning route. In this event you have to get to the finish within a time limit. Every car has a different route which will make it more exciting for the players to go through. This may be the first race you wish to do as finishing this race will reward you with a heavily upgraded version of your vehicle.

Driver’s License:
Burnout Paradise does not work with medals or achievements, but with a driver’s license. It keeps progress of your victories. Each license requires an amount of wins. Any event won counts as a victory for your license. There are 5 licenses to get. Every license will also be rewarded with a new vehicle.

Vehicles:
Burnout Paradise has a large amount of cars where you can choose from. Each car has its pros and cons. There are a total of 75 cars to win by finishing events and achieving your different licenses. There are a total of 4 different cars, one for each event. Every car can be used for any event except Burning Route, of course it’s given that some cars are weak in specific races, but it is always possible to survive if you know your way around town.

Boost:
Boost, also known as nitro in most games, is something every racer loves to have. Every car has boost and can be filled up whenever you wish by driving insane around town. Boosts can always be refilled by going into opposite traffic but there are bonuses to refill your boost. Each type of car has a quick way of refilling the boost. For example: stunt cars will receive boost from doing stunts, while speed cars will receive boosts from pulling burnouts ( completing an entire boost without crashing ), takedown vehicles will receive more boost from taking down a car, but being taken down will of course take part of your boost. Most boosts can be used whenever you trigger it, except for the speed cars, which require you to do a full burnout to refill the bar or drive crazy enough to fill it up.

The Game Renewed:
As given before, the game has absolutely no loading times, the entire map is open for driving and runs smooth for PC’s that can handle the requirements. The events however, have no loading times, but that also makes it not possible to restart an event when you wish to do so. The game is a constant continue of gameplay and cannot be turned back. [POST THE NUMBER 5 SOMEWHERE BELOW SO WE KNOW YOU ACTUALLY READ THIS REVIEW - WNxCanyonne] Another new thing is that whenever you wish to unlock a car, you do not get the car by winning an event but by taking him down in town. After beating several events there will be cars driving around in town which you have to keep an eye over. Whenever you see the car driving around, go take him down to add him to your collection.

Drive-bys:
The city has several drive-by places to visit. These go from refueling (refills the boost 100%) to repair shops and coloring shops. There are also several crash dumps where you can choose your car. Every car you took down and unlocked will be added to your crash dump. These spots are not displayed on your in-game compass unless you have found the locations by driving by them. This also counts for events; they are not displayed unless you have found them by driving passed them.

Driving around town:
Driving around town has its challenges when you aren’t driving around in events. Several roads have time records which can be beaten and there are boards you need to drive through all over the city. Most of these boards are put on stunt locations, so look out for them if you are doing stunt tracks; they are a good place and also multiply stunt bonuses. There are also mega jumps around town, try to collect them all. Driving around town also involves avoiding hitting traffic. Traffic will always be different on places as the game is a constant moving place. Cars will try avoiding you but ongoing traffic might be too slow to dodge your car at high speeds.

Damage:
The developers have taken a great amount of time to integrate a nice damage system into the game. Every car has a different detail for damage and every crash will damage your car in a different and realistic way. Some crashes can wreck your car but as long as your car has its 4 wheels and a working engine and if it still stands on its 4 wheels you are still able to drive away. Of course, hitting a repair shop when taking damage might be a good idea when you are preparing for a takedown or marked man race.

AI:
The AI is something special in this game. The cars don’t always take the same roads to achieve victory and when they have to they drive aggressive. They play as a human player would play the game and will try to achieve victory by any means necessary.

Pros:
-A big city
-A large amount of cars to choose from
-No loading times!!
-A large amount of fun
-Amazing graphics
-Amazing detail for crashes
-Crashes!!
-Stunts
-An amazingly fun AI

Cons:
-A little too easy for experiences gamers
-Might become repetitive
-No restart option
-No huge drifts
-A few lame cars

My Opinion:
I find Burnout Paradise a great game. It’s quite big and it has no loading times which improve the gameplay a lot. The game has an amazingly great detail for damage and they are visible in nearly every race as there are always some cars taken down. I do find the game a little too easy for experienced gamers but none-the less a must-buy game for race freaks.

GamePlay Movie:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HslBi8nh6w

PS: This is my second attempt on reviewing a race game; I found this game pretty challenging to write a review about since it’s hard to describe the greatness of this game with just words and screenshots. Again nothing in this review has been taken from any other site except some of the screenshots and images used for this review. Enjoy ~jeh~

Last edited by WNxWNx; 02-24-2009 at 06:01 PM..
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/jehera/JeheraV2.jpg
-People call mercenaries like us "Dogs of War." But we're different. We are Wolves.. We will die the proud wolf we are-
-I watched the stupidity of mankind through the scope of my rifle-

Warrior Nation

WNxWNx
02-24-2009, 05:48 PM
Unregistered
#
I didn't know it was a separate release on PC.

Very cool! I have played this before on the Xbox 360, but this looks a lot better.

Great job!

Warrior Nation

WNxHyde0709
02-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Unregistered
#
Looks good, images a bit...large but it's a solid report.

It's interesting, the number 5 that is and it how it curves.

Perhaps write it more as an article next time and not so much as an outline.

Warrior Nation

Belgium WNxJehera
02-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Development > You
FoxHound's Sniper Wolf
sweet, review is finally up ^^

had allot of work on it, hope the 5 pays off ^^

-People call mercenaries like us "Dogs of War." But we're different. We are Wolves.. We will die the proud wolf we are-

Warrior Nation

WNxG2Wolf
02-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Unregistered
#
Quote:
Burning Route:
This one is a rather new concept to the series. You have to get a specific car for each burning route. In this event you have to get to the finish within a time limit. Every car has a different route which will make it more exciting for the players to go through. This may be the first race you wish to do as finishing this race will reward you with a heavily upgraded version of your vehicle.

Driver’s License:
Burnout Paradise does not work with medals or achievements, but with a driver’s license. It keeps progress of your victories. Each license requires an amount of wins. Any event won counts as a victory for your license. There are 5 licenses to get. Every license will also be rewarded with a new vehicle.
Burning Route was also in Burnout Revenge, and the license system sounds a bit like Gran Turismo.

Also, the map reminded me a lot of the NFS:Most Wanted map for some reason.....

Anyways, nice review.

Warrior Nation

WNxAvenger
02-24-2009, 06:41 PM
Unregistered
#
WOW Nice Review! Game looks sooo Awesome!

Warrior Nation

WNxXKingMarcX
02-24-2009, 06:43 PM
Unregistered
#
Burnout is a great racing series
and Burnout Paradise is a 10/10 racing game
It is truly awesome!
Great Review
+rep

Warrior Nation

Belgium WNxJehera
02-24-2009, 08:13 PM
Development > You
FoxHound's Sniper Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxG2Wolf View Post
Burning Route was also in Burnout Revenge, and the license system sounds a bit like Gran Turismo.

Also, the map reminded me a lot of the NFS:Most Wanted map for some reason.....

Anyways, nice review.
yeah the events are the same as the old games in the series, they are good so why change em? they only have been given a namechange and its slightly more fun when playing every track on the entire city map. makes it kind of more exciting then being limited to a track within the city.

about the license, GT only has a license you need to get to unlock specific races your allowed to do, reaching max license doesnt mean 100% finish in GT, whole in burnout your license is your gaming progress, it looks the same but its slightly different.
besides, they cant all have different things, wouldnt look to well if you had to earn your wings by winning races with a car would it? xD

Warrior Nation

Netherlands WNxDarkNyte
02-25-2009, 05:32 AM
nice review, looks like a good game

Warrior Nation

WNxDarKSN
02-25-2009, 05:36 AM
Unregistered
This game looks awesome. I might give it a try .

Warrior Nation

WNxTaka
02-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Unregistered

Great review : D. I have and played this game.. definitely a must get, criterion is still updating and bring DLC to this day : D.

You definitely brought out all of the single player aspects. I just noticed this review is for PC, unsure if it has online like the PS3.. the PS3 version with online is simply amazing and fun...

Great work : ). rep+

Warrior Nation

Belgium WNxJehera
02-25-2009, 11:33 AM
Development > You
FoxHound's Sniper Wolf
indeed it does have online gameplay, but i know little to nothing about it personally as i havent tested it yet since im not sure if m ( currently downloaded ) version would work online. im actualy waiting till this game releases im my country to buy it still

Warrior Nation

WNxHyde0709
02-25-2009, 01:41 PM
Unregistered
Interesting to see that only 2 people actually read the review.
Sad face.

Warrior Nation

WNxG2Wolf
02-25-2009, 05:30 PM
Unregistered
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxConroi View Post
Interesting to see that only 2 people actually read the review.
Sad face.
You fail at counting. It's actually 5.

Warrior Nation

Belgium WNxJehera
02-25-2009, 10:08 PM
Development > You
FoxHound's Sniper Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxG2Wolf View Post
You fail at counting. It's actually 5.

nope its only 2, we got the evidence ^^

and 5 is the evidence! ^^

Warrior Nation

WNxKiish
02-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Unregistered
Great review mate! Keep it up!

Warrior Nation

WNxeuro
02-27-2009, 01:46 AM
Unregistered
Actually thinking of buying the game now..

very good review!
Loving the game..
Great graphics..

-euro

Warrior Nation

WNxKrypton
02-27-2009, 04:02 AM
Unregistered
Have played this one before on x360, I wonder if it would be much different on PC lol...

Warrior Nation

WNxStep07mar
02-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Unregistered
Good review man .

Warrior Nation

WNxDraggy
03-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Unregistered
Nice review....Great read to....Really wanna try it. The picture was a big large but w/e.

Closed Thread