Thread: Review - Race Driver GRID
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

Belgium WNxJehera
01-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Local Time: 11:28 AM
Development > You
FoxHound's Sniper Wolf
Review - Race Driver GRID
Review
Author: WNxJehera

Race Driver GRID

Platform: PC
Genre Category: N/A
Date of Release: 2008
ESRB: N/A
Publisher: CodemastersGames
Developer: CodemastersFirebrand
Rating: A
Official Site URL: http://www.racedrivergrid.com/?terri...glishUK#/home/

Click the image to open in full size.
Writen by jehera

Platform: PC
Genre Category: Racing
Date of Release: 2008
Publisher: CodemastersGames
Developer: CodemastersFirebrand
Official Site URL: http://www.racedrivergrid.com/?terri...glishUK#/home/

It’s all about the race!

Race Driver GRID is a race game by Codemasters. The game takes you to the world of racing, where you meet real tracks, real cars. This game gives you a total new racing experience. This game introduces you to many cars, every one of them special in its own way. Either it is drifting or racing, this game has it all. Race Driver GRID is everything you expect from it, and much more.
There are many different categories and every category has many different tracks. The categories you will undertake when playing this game are: Pro Tuned / Pro Muscle / Touring Cars / Open Wheel / Drift Battle / Drift GP / Pro Touge / Midnight Touge / GT Club / 24 hours Le Mans / Le Mans series and Demolition Derby.

Each category represents its own number of cars and the type of track you are about to race on.
Every car you are about to race can be modified up to a minimum which includes styling as in colors and sponsors.

Race Driver GRID is a very realistic racing game, with very nice graphics and extremely realistic physics as well as a great detail for damage. Grid has been chosen as one of the best race games for 2008.

The categories:

Pro Tuned:
This takes you to high speed racing with heavy tuned cars. Speed is the aim but controlling the handling is still a must!

Pro Muscle:
Pro Muscle takes you to the typical American muscle cars. They are known for their high acceleration as well as their capability to reach high speed limits. However these cars are limited to taking high speed turns duo their higher speed.

Touring cars:
Touring cars takes you to the normal tuned cars that race each other through tight race tracks. Handling is the aim and controlling speed to reach the maximum racing experience on smaller race tracks.

Open Wheel:
Open wheel takes you to the world of Formula1 and Formula3 Racing. Their extreme high speed and extreme velocity makes them capable pulling up to their max speed in less than 5 seconds. These cars have an extreme control for turning at high speed and have a heavy brake to drive swiftly through the track.

Drift Battle:
Drift battle takes you to a whole different level of racing; these cars are tuned for extreme drifting through normal races and may bring spectacular images as well as spectacular replays. The cars consist of high tuning towards the drifting while still maintaining an incredible and realistic speed.

Drift GP:
While you are using the same cars tuned for drift battle, your goal is no longer to finish first, but to gain the biggest score with your drifting skills. You get thrown on the track with multiple cars and you aim to race the most spectacular track as you speed through the turns. Your reputation is at stake!

Pro Touge:
Your goal here is to finish first on a downhill road which may contain traffic. Both tuned cars as well as muscle cars are allowed to race each other here. Both types have different drive styles in these type of tracks as you have to prevent hitting each other, as well as preventing yourself to get off the track and crash down the mountains. Hitting another car will result in penalty time for your opponent.

Midnight Touge:
Same as Pro Touge, except you are driving over night time, with only a few lights over the track and your own. Every move rests into your skills on the track and avoiding the traffic with a minimum of vision over the road.

24 Hours Le Mans:
Here you are taken to circuit racing with heavy tuned / high speed cars. You are driving either 24 hour races / 12 hour or 6 hour races. Every race is done on circuit tracks only. Of course it states for itself that you do not drive the 24 hours in real time, each hour is taken for 1 minute ingame time. You are meant to gain first place of your category. There are usually 3 types of categories in this type of race. You drive the entire track and the miles driven are recorded. Positions at the end of the race are placed according to the most miles driven in the amount of time given.

Le Mans series:
Same as 24 Hours Le Mans except you are now driving a number of tracks instead of an endurance race. Race tracks and cars are identical here as well. Again your goal is only to reach the first in your class with the obvious being that racing in the higher classes means staying ahead of the slower classes.

Demolition Derby:
One of the most intense races in the game. You are taken to a short track with 12 opponents driving the same vehicle. These are reinforced to withstand heavy crashes. Your goal is to reach the finish before you total loss your vehicle and if possible in first place. No rules abide in this type of race and in most races, only half the opponents even finish. With tracks specially made for this type of race, expect your car to have more than just a scratch!

High damage scale:
This game has an extremely beautiful and high detail for damage. Every car can reach the status of total loss and every crash has its unique detail to damaging the cars on a very realistic scale, both in normal races as well as in demolition derby races. Each car has its own damage pattern and every crash will have a different effect on your car and the outcome of it after the crash, as shown on both screenshots below, there are no exceptions in the detail for damage, as every car has a most unique detailed damage system. Even parts of the track (such as a turn with tires) can be destroyed by a simple crash.
( it’s recommended to avoid hitting the track as much as possible )

The Game Content:

AI:
The AI is extremely well made, the cars know the track, they don’t only race you, but they race each other for first place as well. This holds that even AI cars can make the mistakes you could make throughout the track, making the game a very realistic racer with constant action to reach the first place till the very end.

Online gameplay:
The online gameplay has the same options that the single player has, with a chance on higher destruction. Players can go up to 12 racers / game and are free to pick which game they enter.

Race experience:
Many games have an equal experience when you pick your car except the small adjustments to your next car for example speed. Race Driver GRID has made it that every car has to be handled completely different. This holds that every car you drive, you must learn to drive.
The same counts for the tracks, not every track drives as easy as another, and must also be searched on how to pass the corners on your best to have a chance of finishing first.

Controlling cars:
Unlike many other games, this game requires total control of the car you are driving. Handling your car in corners is highly required. Hitting walls when taking turns will result in losing control of the car and may even end in a total loss. When it comes to taking your turns, braking is actually required.
Just like real time racing, you are required to break before you can drift a turn without crashing or losing control of your drift, unlike many other race games where it is possible of drifting turns at high speed.

Your team:
It is of great importance that you look after your team. As a racer, you will not be the only one taking part in races from your team. You need to stay on the lookout to get the best racers with you in a race to finish in a good position. Taking a team mate with you also means you will have to watch out for which sponsors you are picking.

Sponsors:
This game has several sponsors you can get throughout the game. Every sponsor has a requirement. If you reach the requirements you will get an extra payment along with your victory reward. The first sponsor slot also doubles your reward points when meeting the requirements.

Comparing GRID to other race games?

When it comes to race games, race driver GRID may as well be one of the better race games out there. With the upcoming GranTurismo 5 (prologue), GRID had to achieve the highest standards to go along-side this race-titan owning most of the race-gaming industry.

While GRID was released, there have been many comparisons to GT5 prologue. Both games received a lot of criticism by hardcore fans of either one of the games. When comparing both, we notice some important improvements such as:

Pro’s GRID vs. GT5
-GRID has a detail for damage on the cars and tracks, while GT5 has no more damage than a few paint scratches and broken windows.
-GRID has pre tuned cars which are all set for max racing experience
-GRID is high speed racer which comes very close to being a simulator

Con’s GRID vs. GT5
-GT5 has a higher detail for surrounding area’s which almost like real.
-GT5 “is” a real driving simulator with perfect realism for driving, while GRID may have some unrealism.
-GT5 has a larger amount of cars (all licensed), and has real life tracks.
Gamers have even made their own comparison and 1 has always remained with me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP1Q6sxNJoY

My Opinion:
Race driver GRID is a very realistic race game, with an extreme high detail for damage on both cars and tracks, it is a “must have” game for every race fan! The cars are simply amazing and tuned for maximum experience. Playing this game and reviewing the replay is almost as watching a real race! Race driver GRID has everything a race fan needs and much more!

Some gameplay videos:
High res:
1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XahyvundLEo&feature=user
2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2A9LGlHMA&feature=user
3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSK-VnL7quY&feature=user
4 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTWdbQsE3TE&feature=user
5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZyrTq7wRwM&feature=user

personal note: this review is based on my own experience with this game. Nothing has been copy/pasted from other sources. This is also my first review about a race game, so it may not be perfect yet. It was very hard creating a review about a race game for me, and this is the result of my first attempt, under the ages I have been editing and re-editing when it came to this. =)
cheers ~jehera ~

Last edited by WNxWNx; 02-02-2009 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: Correcting
http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j262/jehera/JeheraV2.jpg
-People call mercenaries like us "Dogs of War." But we're different. We are Wolves.. We will die the proud wolf we are-
-I watched the stupidity of mankind through the scope of my rifle-

Warrior Nation

WNxWNx
02-02-2009, 06:36 PM
Unregistered
#
Another great, detailed review by Jehera!

Looks like a great game. I played the demo on XBL and it was extremely fun!

Warrior Nation

WNxThundrstruckk
02-02-2009, 07:31 PM
Unregistered
#
Nice review, +rep when I can..maybe

Warrior Nation

Belgium WNxJehera
02-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Development > You
FoxHound's Sniper Wolf
rofl, i loved the game defenatly, one of the best racers i've ever played, and still play at times.

great detail for damage, and i love going wild on the tracks

-People call mercenaries like us "Dogs of War." But we're different. We are Wolves.. We will die the proud wolf we are-

Warrior Nation

WNxKiish
02-03-2009, 03:49 AM
Unregistered
#
Great review again w00t! Really wanting to get the game as the gfx are so cool

Warrior Nation

WNxDarKSN
02-03-2009, 04:15 AM
Unregistered
#
Got the game. It's awesome a must buy! Great review.

Warrior Nation

United Kingdom WNxHorizon
02-03-2009, 05:05 AM
Local Time: 10:28 AM
Dishonorable Discharge
Another great review Jehera! Nice work

Warrior Nation

WNxmrmax
02-04-2009, 05:14 AM
Unregistered
#
I have to game. Really worth the money!
Anyway, another great review mate!

MRmax.

Warrior Nation

Netherlands WNxMaddy
02-04-2009, 07:41 AM
Approved.
Great review mate.
I got the game myself.. and play it once in a while..
Its a very good racing game thats for sure

Madglide

Warrior Nation

United States WNxJNG
02-04-2009, 11:19 PM
Local Time: 04:28 AM
Game looks awesome! Might give it a try.
I'm obsessed with Forza 2 though.

Nice review man.

WNxJNG & WNxJurafalle - Rock Band Buddies <3

Warrior Nation

WNxXKingMarcX
02-04-2009, 11:30 PM
Unregistered
i have this game
it is truly awesome
very realistic

NICE REVIEW, GREAT GAME
+REP

Warrior Nation

WNxeuro
02-06-2009, 07:35 AM
Unregistered
Woow..

Looks like a very cool game!!
Great preview!!

-euro

Warrior Nation

WNxStep07mar
02-06-2009, 03:34 PM
Unregistered
Very detailed and long, well done .

I don't like racing games that much, but well, there you go .

Warrior Nation

United States WNxLink
02-07-2009, 12:07 AM
Local Time: 02:28 AM
Official Guest
WoW Characters
AKA cdkee
Nice review!

I bought the game a few weeks ago, it is truly amazing. If you like racing of any sort, or a car enthusiast, you need this game. IMO this game has the most realistic car handling, especially if you use the head cam the entire time you play. It is super amazing. MUST HAVE!

Warrior Nation

WNxG2Wolf
02-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Unregistered
Quote:
-GT5 has a larger amount of cars (all licensed), and has real life tracks.
GRID does have quite a few real-life tracks. Le-Mans and Istanbul are 2 I can name off the top of my head....

Warrior Nation

WNxPPK
02-08-2009, 06:08 AM
Unregistered
Nice review. We can clearly see it came from your opinion and not soem copy/paste from another website. That's the way to go!

I really love that game, never played though, but from what I read on reviews (including yours) and the screens I've seen, I can definitely say this is a must-buy for every racing fan!

Wish my rig could handle it... I've played ToCA Race Driver 1, 2 and 3 and absolutely loved those games. Not hardcore simulation, but close enough to be fun.

Kudos for this review, man!

Warrior Nation

Belgium WNxJehera
02-08-2009, 11:10 AM
Development > You
FoxHound's Sniper Wolf
ty guys ^^

@ g2wolf, indeed GRID has some real life tracks but i meanth all tracks on GT5 are real, while GRID has allot of fictional tracks ( not that im complaining about it ^^ )

Warrior Nation

WNxPPK
02-08-2009, 11:42 AM
Unregistered
Hey, just noticed now that you (WNxJehera) are Portuguese! My recruiter said I was the only portuguese in WN! Guess he was just talking about GE:S. Hehe, I'm not alone!

Warrior Nation

WNxG2Wolf
02-08-2009, 04:51 PM
Unregistered
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxJehera View Post
ty guys ^^

@ g2wolf, indeed GRID has some real life tracks but i meanth all tracks on GT5 are real, while GRID has allot of fictional tracks ( not that im complaining about it ^^ )
Yea, but every European track iirc is real.

Warrior Nation

Belgium WNxJehera
02-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Development > You
FoxHound's Sniper Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxPPK View Post
Hey, just noticed now that you (WNxJehera) are Portuguese! My recruiter said I was the only portuguese in WN! Guess he was just talking about GE:S. Hehe, I'm not alone!

tbh im not portuguese, im a moved in one xD
and im still to move in in a couple a months, my GF is from portugal however ^^ ( and also WN )

im to move in soon after i finish school xD

@ g2worlf, true, some tracks are authentic to the real ones, but still not close to the amount of tracks GT5 has

both games are good and have their pro/con's. but i still prefere GRID over GT5, mainly cause of the action it has that GT5 sorta misses xD

Closed Thread