Thread: Review - Call of Duty: World at War
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation
01-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Review - Call of Duty: World at War
Author: WNxKiish

Call Of Duty: World At War
Click the image to open in full size.

Platform: PC, Console
Genre Category: FPS
Date of Release: November 2008
Publisher: Activision
Developer: Treyarch & Certain Affinity
Rating: A
Official Site URL:

Minimum Specs:
Operating System:
Windows XP/Vista
Processor: Pentium 4 @ 3 GHz/AMD 64 3200+
Memory: 512 MB (1 GB for Vista)
Hard Drive: 8 GB Free
DirectX version: DirectX 9.0c
Sound: On-board or better
Graphics Card:
256 MB (nVidia GeForce 6600/ATI Radeon X1600)

Imagine you get nine hours to do what you want. What should you do? You can watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy, you can bake a pizza of 3 meters, wash some cars, or you could play the new Call of Duty: World at War! Yes people, the newest shooter of Treyarch and Activision is again besides us, and he stands, as usually, for an overdose of virtual action and adrenaline. Read on!

Back to the roots:
With Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, we made a jump to the modern warfare. With the newest thing of CoD, Treyarch takes us back to the second World War. New conflicts out of this historic, very important period. Everyone that dares to call himself a little-bit gamer, knows for sure that he saw many happenings of WWII on his monitor that makes us come to some new stuff. The designer did this for a very big part for the player, to bring him back to the American army in the battle of the Pacific! Ok, totally new isn't this game, because the war in the Pacific was released some years ago in MoH: Pacific Assault. However, his war is fresh and well in the CoD line. There are two different campaigns which you will walk through. In here you get into the skin of the left-for-death Russian soldier while Stalingrad was taken by Germans. The end goal of this campaign is to drive the Germans back to Berlin, where the 'unthergang' from a sure 'moustache man' called Hitler, a fact is. I mean that I can remember this from a part, before Call of Duty 4.

All grown up:
What you see immediately on this game is the cruelty that is brought on your screen. It starts at the intro scene where you get to see the real horror of war! So may you look down, how a Japanese officer an prisoner interrogates while he uses his knife with skill or, if you get the Russian campaign choice, they get a bullet or a Molotov cocktail. "Our country, our people, our blood". That's what you get to hear on the Russian side, and it ends in bloody revenge actions to the German earth rival! So did I hear a Russian soldier that seed: "This is not war, this is butchery". I remember well, that the first Call of Duty was without blood and that you even had to install a patch to see some blood! Now it has changed! Man doesn't look for a litter more or less of this red stuff. This is how the war would be, in its cruelty. In the options menu, you can turn this cruelty back.

Fire, walk with me!
Away from some authentic WWII weapons, think of the known machine guns, pistols, bazookas and grenades, there are two newcomers in the arsenal! The flamethrower and the Molotov cocktail. The flamethrower is used by both army’s, and that can be seen in the game! It was a good weapon to kill enemies out of the tight bushes, or if you wanted to clear a bunker. The flamethrower spits fire for a nice distance, so you have to get your ass moving if you see one! Well if you aim at a fuel tank of the flamethrower, you will see a nice explosion that incinerates every enemy beside of it. Be aware of burning, flying 'parts'! When you may use this flame dragon, you just feel the macho-feeling rising up! Realize, that the enemies also know where to aim. That makes it so that you walk with a tail-between-the-legs feeling. With the Molotov cocktail, it is just turned around. With this weapon you will not be shown on the foreground, but it is ideal to hunt enemies from behind their cover. When you can aim, this thing nice on a steel helm of a German, you will also get a little inferno spectacle as reward.

What's that behind the bushes?
The combat in this series is worth a big 10! It is full with action. You crawl from cover to cover and you take out an endless stream of enemies, before you reach the other endless waypoint. When it turns red around the eyes, it is time to take cover. Go back when you’re fully recovered, and repeat. Calm down, dear readers, this cool combat is enormous in the game, but I didn't expect something else. But it is more, and a kind off only, in the Japanese trips, in the Still South sea. The Japanese did have their own fighting style. Treyarch did us show that very nicely! So do the Japanese soldiers know a so called ‘Banzai attack'? When warriors come, without fearing death, with there knifes and bayonets, they storm of to you and your team mates to cut some cuts in you. If you don't finish off the soldier, you will get pushed on the ground. Push the right button, and you will see how the Japanese soldier comes to his end.

Call of Duty: World at War will use the same way of multiplayer. Kill people, earn XP, and unlock weapons and their attachments! You have special rewards for kill streaks that are very original. 3 kill streak is a recon plane, 5 kill streak is artillery, and with a 7 kill streak you get a pair of vicious dogs that will kill everyone that isn't in your team. These dogs spawn for 60 seconds. You can kill or knife these dogs.

Night of the Undead:
Call of Duty: World at War has a very nice reward for you if you have completed the campaign! You will get a zombie mod! Yes people, it's true! You will be dropped off in a house where windows are barricaded. You must kill zombies, for points, to buy new weapons. Zombies can also break down these barricades, then you have to rebuild these barricades. A new weapon in the mod is the Ray Gun! This weapon will fire some lasers which will cut through every zombie you see. This weapon is very nice. Nazi zombies can be played by 1, 2, 3 or 4 players at a time! For 1 or 2 players, you can be in cooperative or in Xbox Live. For 4 players, you will have to go on Xbox Live or PS Network, or Wi-Fi. This will make Call of Duty: World at War's Nazi Zombies a nice mod.

Overall Score:

First review, be nice

Last edited by WNxWNx; 01-25-2009 at 01:57 PM.. Reason: Correcting

Warrior Nation
01-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Here's a review on the newest in the COD series by Kiish.

Nice review but, I'm sorry to say, I will not be getting this game .........ever -_-

Nice job again Kiish.

Warrior Nation
01-25-2009, 10:05 PM
Nice review! +rep

Warrior Nation
01-25-2009, 11:32 PM
I got the game!
Very good game and I don't regret that I bought it..
The only thing that bothers me are the powerlevel servers..
But I heared they will be gone in the next patch..

Good review mate!

Warrior Nation
01-26-2009, 04:58 AM
Great review but I will also never get the game. I don't like the CoD series.

Warrior Nation
01-26-2009, 06:26 AM
Great review Kiish! Well done.

Warrior Nation
01-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Originally Posted by WNxDarKSN View Post
Great review but I will also never get the game. I don't like the CoD series.

W00T CoD 4 pwns every game on pc, ps3 and xbox360 ^^
anyway nice review kishyb0i

Warrior Nation
United Kingdom WNxHorizon
01-26-2009, 11:59 AM
Local Time: 04:54 AM
Dishonorable Discharge
Very good review +rep
Its also acting as subliminal messaging for people to join the COD:WAW section

Warrior Nation
01-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Thanks this was one of my unique reviews as it doesn't have the normal 'gameplay' / 'sound' / 'graphics' etc. it's just something completely new i tried and by the comment's i think it worked

Warrior Nation
01-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Nice Review.

Too bad the game sucks :>

Warrior Nation
01-27-2009, 04:39 PM
Nice review there! + rep for that!

Warrior Nation
Malta WNxBrandmon
01-27-2009, 04:51 PM
Local Time: 05:54 AM
Honorable Discharge
Look mum! No hands!
Great Review! +rep!

Warrior Nation
Belgium WNxScooby
01-27-2009, 06:04 PM
Local Time: 06:54 AM
Honorable Discharge
Great review.

And I really like this game, the only thing I hate is the short SP missions

Warrior Nation
01-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Awesome review!
played this at a friends house, Nazi Zombies is probably the best part about this game.

Warrior Nation
United States WNxAznKevin1
01-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Local Time: 08:54 PM
WNxAznKevin1 has a birthday
Great review on Call of Duty World at War. rep+

UnTamedLaw League of Legends

Warrior Nation
01-28-2009, 04:36 AM
Very nice review mate!!

Warrior Nation
01-28-2009, 10:23 AM
great review mate

i love the missions in this game but i hate the online play i don't know what they did to the spawning system but its sooo lame i makes me not play the game

Warrior Nation
01-29-2009, 01:37 PM
awesome review
awesome game + rep

Warrior Nation
WNx ThePOPE490
01-30-2009, 05:18 PM
very nice review

Warrior Nation
01-31-2009, 03:30 PM
Nice review, bad game...
CoD 4 > CoD 5