Thread: Review - Tom Clancy's End War - ROTM November 2008
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

WNxLegit
11-23-2008, 07:47 PM
Unregistered
#
Review - Tom Clancy's End War - ROTM November 2008
Review
Author: WNxMalign

Tom Clancy's End War
Click the image to open in full size.

Platform: Console
Genre Category: RTS
Date of Release: November 4th 2008 (Q1 2009 for PC)
ESRB: T
Publisher: Ubisoft Shanghai
Developer: Ubisoft
Rating: B
Official Site URL: http://www.endwargame.com

The Tom Clancy franchise is widely known for it's ******** shooters such as the Rainbow Six Series and the Ghost Recon Series. Now, Ubisoft Shanghai Developer goes from the small battles that we've played in those series to a huge scale World War III with Tom Clancy's EndWar. It's based off the EndWar Novel, written by David Michaels, that was published earlier this year. (It's a good book too, go pick it up and read it!). This is the first RTT (Real Time ********) game that Ubisoft has done with the Tom Clancy Franchise. It's Real Time ******** becuase you don't really start from scratch. You start off with a select number of units and the types, which I will go into later, depend off the battalion you choose, which I will also go into later. Something else that has been made the make this game not only unique, but to make strategy games for console easier is voice communications. Basically, you say a setence of a few words into your mic while holding the R-Trigger and units do as you wish. For example:

To retrieve an uplink: Unit - 1 - Secure - Foxtrot
To call an attack: Unit - 5 Attack - Hostile - 6
To upload infantry to transports: Unit - 4 - Move to - Unit 6

This type of voice communication allows the speed of thought (which is their basic marketing plan) to say, 'Hey, this is faster than a mouse and can revolutionize console strategy games.'

CHAAAAAAAAAAAARGE

The synopsis of this story is that in the year 2011, United States and the European Union sign the SLAMAS which is codename for Space-Land-Air Missile Shield which says they come to an agreement to help each other advance in the creation of an Anti-Ballistic Missle Technology. Russia gets mad that they are left out and tries to start their own research and build their own which leads to disaster when they are easily crushed and leads to a short period in peace. However the oild supplies are exhausted by 2015 and in the year 2016, a nuclear war broke out in the Middle East between Iran and Saudi Arabia which lead Russia to become the leading oil supply. Later in the year, Europe changed from a group of contries to one huge country called the European Federation, EF for short. This then lead to the UN being banned and broke the ties between the US and EF. After this, the US launched the Freedom Star Space Station from the JFK Space Center in 2020. During the launch, the Space Station was attacked by the infamous Green Brigade which is a powerful terrorist group. Due to this attack, many U.S Marines were killed and this eventually lead to the Russians being blamed because of all the secret operations they had hid from the other countries. The point of the space station was to allow Marines to be deployed anywhere around the world within a time period of 90 minutes. During the investigation to find out who actually did such horrors to the U.S., the JSF (Joint Strikes Forces), EF (European Federation), and the RSGB (Russian Spetsnaz Guard Brigade) lead up to the war.

Now that you understand the what happened to start the WW3, let's go into the Single Player. Basically, you start off with only one of the Single Player Campaign options. That being 'Prelude to War'. From there you can either choose Normal, Expert or Hardcore. Yes noobs, that means their is no easy for you...learn the hard way or not at all. Basically, Prelude to War goes through what I've explained above. Not only that, but it gives you the basic operating of the game in the first few missions with a few hints here and there. Once you beat Prelude to War you unlock World War III in single player. To beat that, you need to secure 28 locations on the map as well as gain all three capitals. Those being, Paris, Washington D.C., and Moscow. I would go into which capital for which faction but you all should know. I'm pretty sure we're past the fifth grade level here .

Gameplay
When you start the World War III phase of Single Player, you will begin by picking your faction. Your faction will either be the JSF, RSGB or EF. From there you go on to the Battalions that you will choose to pick which will basically vary in name and stats for all Factions but look similar to the picture below. Based on the battalion you pick, you'll get an extra boost of Health Points or Damage (attack) to a particular unit. The constant between all of them will be One Airbourne, Two ********, Two Assault, Two Mechanized, Two Armored. Aribourne usually has to do with Riflemen, Assault has to do with tanks and whatnot, Mechanized has to do with Engineers and Transports, Armored has to do with Transports, Tanks, Artillery and ******** gives special things to Command Vehicle and Artillery. As you can see, I've briefly mentioned the units, now I will go into some more detail.

Are you really trying to escape a WMD????

Gametypes

• Siege- This is basically where their is only attack and defend. The defender starts off with the total 12 units they can use in a match and they must defend a critical uplink for a certain amount of time. The attack must go and take the critical uplink, as well as hold it for a total of three minutes. In 8-10 minutes from match start, the defender will get a huge load of reinforcements (like Force Recon level 3 type) and it will be much harder to gain it!
  • Raid- You run around as a unit destroying buildings that you're defender is suppose to be fending you off. Destroy more than half of the enemy buildings to win.
  • Conquest- You can win this by taking all the uplinks on the map or having a majority of the uplinks on the map for a period of 5 minutes.
  • Assault- This is basically a battle to the death. You must destroy all the enemy units on the field and in reserve to win this type of match.
*Note- All of these matches can be won if all the hostiles are worn on. (being your enemies soldiers or yours)

In Campaign for WW3 you will start off with 800,000 Credits ,which is the currency you will use to upgrade abilities for units, mission supports (I will go into that later), as well as a unit's attack and defense. You gain credits from victories you achieve victories whether it is for online (Theater of War) or WW3 Campaign. During the actual game you use CP, which is command points. Command points are used in game to regulate how much you use to deploy a specific unit or use a mission support. You gain command points by securing uplinks. Uplinks are the foundation of the game. The more you have the more upgrades you have and the closer you are winning the game. Another major thing of this game is the use of WMDs. These are gained when you are pushed into the defeat counter in the game and can be very destructive and be a turning point in the game. Each faction has their own special WMD which you can use in game. I believe JSF have some huge missle, the Europeans have a Laser and Russians have some awkward bomb that can blow loads of crap up.

Example of what you will see when you pick your battalion

In each faction you get 6 different unit types.
  • Riflemen- Your basic foot infantry. They go from each uplink easily and around the battlefield.
    • Riflemen are stronger than Engineers and are strong when they are in cover.
    • When they are out of cover they are vulnerable to anything.
  • Engineers- This is the other type of infantry which is more equipped than the riflemen.They can quickly upgrade uplinks.
    • Good against heavily armored units such as the tanks and against gunships.
    • They are weak against riflemen and when they are not in cover.
  • Gunships- Gunships are helicopters and basically your view to the battlefield since they are high above the ground.
    • They are strong against Tanks.
    • Gunships are weak against garrisoned Engineers and Transports.
  • Transports- Transports allow your engineers to get across the battlefield easily since they can carry them to any destination.
    • They are strong against Gunships.
    • However, they are weak against Tanks and garrisoned Engineers and Riflemen.
  • Tanks- Tanks are the heavy force that go around the field destroying all ground units that they see in front of them.
    • They can basically push through any ground unit like transports, artillery and infantry that are out of cover.
    • Tanks are really weak against Gunships and garrisoned Engineers.
  • Artillery- Basically the heavily mechanized sniper of the battlefield. They can shoot long range shells across the field and are do a lot of damage.
    • They are strong against any ground unit from far away.
    • However in close combat and against gunships they are sitting ducks.
  • Command Vehicle- These are very heavily armored and are not seen that much in Online gameplay as they are in the Campaign, especially WW3 Campaign.
    • They are strong against pretty much infantry and gunships and are heavily equipped to stand a lot of attacks while their sentry units do the attacking.
    • However they are easily defeated by tanks, transports and artillery after a series of attacks.

Ready, Set, FIRE!

From this explanation you can see that units are stronger than other units, but can be defeated by other units. This cycle is known as the rock-paper-scissors of End War. It's heavily criticized by being easy strategy, however simple this concept may seem strategy must play a role in the different types of playing styles you use. The basis of this rock-paper-scissors strategy is as follows:

Use Tanks to Defeat Transports.
Use Transports to Defeat Gunships.
Use Gunships to Defeat Tanks.

From this cycle, you can obviously see that it's not real complicated on the surface but the types of strategies that can be thrown in such as out thinking your enemy or out rushing them from the initial start can easily change these factors. Not only this but Mission Supports are also thrown into the mix. There are three types of mission types that can be leveled up to a max of three. Those three types of mission supports are:

• Air Support- Your basic air strikes. They can be called into any location, target or hostile. You only need 4 CP to use this mission support.
    • The Level 1 Air Strike is default from the start in both Campaign WW3 and Theater of War, I will explain Theater of War later on. You also need to have at least one uplink upgraded to Air Support.
    • Level 2 is gained for more than 1 million CR and can do more damage than that of a regular air strike. You need at least 2 uplinks upgraded to Air Support.
    • Level 3 is gained for more than 2 million CR. You need at least 3 uplinks upgraded to Air Support to use this. (Very Deadly!)
  • Electronic Warfare- This allows you to stop any unit on the field for a period of time which makes them vulnerable to attack or defeat. You can also use this to intercept Air Strikes if you are very good at seeing them before they arrive on the map. You need a minimum of 4 CP to use this in a game.
    • For Level 1, you need to buy this upgrade for less than 6k CR. You also need one uplink upgraded to Electronic Warfare.
    • For level 2, you need to buy this upgrade for 1-2 million CR. You also need two uplinks upgraded to Electronic Warfare.
    • To get the highest level 3 upgrade you need between 2-4 million CR to gain the upgrade. You also need three uplinks upgraded to Electronic Warfare.
  • Force Recon- This allows you to bring in 'back up' so to speak to the battlefield and the more back up you get depends on the higher your level. You need a minimum of 4 CP to use this in game.
    • To start with Force Recon level 1, you need to buy the upgrade for less than 1 million CR. Brings in a few small infantry vehicles.
    • Between 1-2 million CR to purchase the upgrade and two uplinks upgraded to Force Recon. Brings in a few more Infantry Vehicles and tanks.
    • For the final level 3 for Force Recon you need between 2-4 million CR to purchase the upgrade and three uplinks upgraded to Force Recon. Brings in loads of tanks, infantry vehicles and sentry units. Just, back up.

Theater of War: THE PERSISTENT WAR!!
This is basically the reason you would want to buy this game. Basically, Theater of War is the ranked playlist of this strategy game. Basically you choose a faction, as you would in the campaign mode of World War III. Then you would fight for your side to gain territories and fight your way to victory. Basically, to win the war your faction has to get 30 territories and 3 capitals, similar to that of the campaign. This is where you fight for your faction to gain this land each turn...and eventually you would win that war. A signing bonus is issued to the faction that has the lowest number of players for that side compared to the size of other factions. It could range from around from 100,000CR and up. Basically, it's just a back and forth virtual war that you fight in as a commander and you can be ranked on the leaderboards, like myself, 31 for this week as of the last few hours ( I probably went down). The war can last for 3 weeks to a few months, so be prepared to pack heavily!

This is what you will see on the ToW menu

Ratings:
  • Graphics 3/5
    • The game has a few bugs and kinks in the graphics such as fail to detect that units are actually walking through buildings and fences. However some explosions such as the WMD always make you cry when you see something that beautiful be so brutal.
  • Sound 4/5
    • The voices from the commanders who give you a background to the missions do have the accents of the side your fighting for, especially the Russians. Even though the people on the European faction do sound as if they are choking on something to be hoenst .
  • Single Player 3/5
    • The campign is just a shortened version of the online and is nothing special. It's kind of short depending on your skill level and doesn't show you anything other than you've done a good job. The real war is online.
  • Online 5/5
    • The theatre of war brings in a lot of lasting appeal as you try to get your faction to win each war as well as try out each faction. You get to battle on different maps and get close games which brings in tense situations.

In conclusion the game gets a 4/5 for basically holding my attention long enough with the persistent war as well as the wanting of those difficult achievements. The book is good and if you read that you'll get a lot more out of the game. That would mean you would actually want to read or know how!

Sources:
80% of this was my own knowledge
10% was from manual
10% IGN/Official Site

Primary: Warframe
Warrior Nation

United States WNxSaltyMcSushi
11-24-2008, 04:29 PM
Local Time: 02:37 AM
RTS/Console
Sushi of the Month
An excellent new review by Malign!

"I rebind my 'Fire Extinguisher' key every game just to keep it interesting." -Maxwell

Warrior Nation

WNxThundrstruckk
11-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Unregistered
#
Nice review! +rep!

Warrior Nation

WNxNapolean
11-24-2008, 05:09 PM
Unregistered
#
Yay! Someone else wrote a review this month . I really love it! +rep.

Warrior Nation

WNxLegit
11-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Unregistered
#
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxNapolean View Post
Yay! Someone else wrote a review this month . I really love it! +rep.
I'm back

Warrior Nation

WNxeuro
11-25-2008, 12:07 AM
Unregistered
#
Great review mate~!
Good job!

euro

Warrior Nation

WNxYadus
11-25-2008, 02:32 AM
Unregistered
#
Good job with the Review. I was planning of getting the game today.

+rep

Primary: Xbox Division
Warrior Nation

Scotland WNxKerr
11-25-2008, 03:22 AM
Local Time: 06:37 AM
METALLICA
...And Justice for All
seee i usualy think rts and rtt are extremely silly for a console, but this voice communacation, just may clinche it, need to try it myself to be honest.

Nice review mate.

Damage.inc

The Kerr Bear. GT: Feckerr

Warrior Nation

WNxSerenity
11-25-2008, 08:01 AM
Unregistered
#
Ooh, great review! +Rep

-:Kaz

Warrior Nation

WNxDarKSN
11-25-2008, 09:16 AM
Unregistered
Great review, I enjoyed reading it

-DarKSNNN

Warrior Nation

WNxStep07mar
11-25-2008, 11:12 AM
Unregistered
Great review, well done .

Warrior Nation

WNxSpikeMaster
11-25-2008, 11:23 AM
Unregistered
great review mate

+ rep

Warrior Nation

North Korea WNxLazyDane
11-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Local Time: 11:37 PM
Honorable Discharge
Groovy.
+Rep, nice Review man.

Primary: Warrior Nation
Warrior Nation

Germany WNxSimon
11-25-2008, 12:42 PM
Local Time: 07:37 AM
Really nice review! Well done!

"Even the strongest of opponents always has a weakness."

Warrior Nation

WNxjake1984
11-25-2008, 03:47 PM
Unregistered
Nice review +Rep for you my friend, pity i can't stand the game though

Warrior Nation

WNxLegit
11-25-2008, 03:57 PM
Unregistered
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxjake1984 View Post
Nice review +Rep for you my friend, pity i can't stand the game though
If you need strategies just tell me the map and I'll share some with you. I have a little more than 2:1 or 3:1 win ratio so they might help >.> Trying to work my way into the top 50 Russian Faction players. My friend is rank 2 for Russians lol

Warrior Nation

WNxGodSinister
11-25-2008, 05:16 PM
Unregistered
Well, considering most of this is your own knowledge it's a fantastic review. +rep and congrats on a good piece of writing.

Primary: Warrior Nation
Warrior Nation

Australia WNxJman
11-25-2008, 06:35 PM
Local Time: 04:37 PM
Jlo The Skippy
Eat Sleep Train Repeat
great review +rep

saw a video review of this a little while ago looks quite nice

Legends aren't born - They're built

Warrior Nation

Netherlands WNxDarkNyte