Thread: Preview - Call of Duty: World at War - ROTM August 2008
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

United States WNxJokazWild
07-27-2008, 02:30 AM
Local Time: 06:39 PM
Combat Specimen
Living Legend
Preview - Call of Duty: World at War - ROTM August 2008
Preview
Author: WNxJokazWild

Call of Duty: World at War
Click the image to open in full size.

Platform: Consoles, PC
Genre Category: FPS
Date of Release: 11/11/2008
ESRB: RP
Publisher: Activision
Developer: Treyarch
Rating: N/A
Official Site URL: http://www.callofduty.com/CoDWW

Author's Note

Call of Duty games are always very popular. I for one have every CoD game ever made. I have had massive amounts of fun playing them all, and they just keep getting better with time. I am sure this new Call of Duty: World at War will not disappoint loyal fans of any level. I might be a little biased in this preview, just because I am a fan of the series. I will try to just give the facts, but in case some of it gets leaked into this preview, disregard the fanboyism

This game will make a great addition to WN, and should have some great staying power. I say this based on the fact that we already have quite a few CoD section.

I will be taking most of my information from the internet.

Introduction

As most of us know, the Call of Duty Series (CoD) is a series of First Person Shooters (FPS) set in World War II mainly. Some have strayed from the WWII theme, but most of them are set in this time period. This game will take place in WWII times as well, but instead of the Germans, we will be taking the fight to the Japanese. The CoD series is known for it's realism on the battlefield, and it's authenticity of the events that the game is trying to portray. This game will be just another piece of the puzzle of WWII. These games fit together, but every one is a whole new game in itself. There is no "real" story line to follow, it's just a collection of different scenarios that may have been played out in WWII.

Summary
(Taken from Official Website)

Call of DutyŽ: World at War completely changes the rules of engagement by redefining WWII gaming and thrusting players into the final tension-filled, unforgiving battles against a new ferocious enemy in the most dangerous and suspenseful action ever seen in WWII.

Powered by Call of DutyŽ 4: Modern Warfaretechnology, Call of Duty: World at War brings an uncensored edge to combat, as soldiers face the most harrowing and climatic European and Pacific battles in which an enemy, who knows no surrender and no retreat, will fight to the last breath, unleashing an arsenal of lethal surprising tactics. Peril and danger lurk throughout the battlefield as players combat the unknown risk of the new chaos of battle.

From the remains of Russia and the ruins of Berlin, to the beach and jungles of the deadly Pacific Theater, the volatile action takes on added depth as players employ new features that previously were only-available in multi-player, including perks, rankings and online stats in up-to full four-player cooperative game-play. New infantry and vehicle-based weapons, like the potent flamethrower, bring the battlefield ablaze.

Game-play

The Japanese have a code called the Bushido Code. Due to this code, the basic strategy of other CoD games will be almost non-existent. Japanese forces will focus mainly on infiltration and ambush tactics. Some of the enemies you will come in contact with will be Kamikaze fighters just looking to take you out with no regard for their own life.

The Major campaigns will follow the story line of the end of the war in the Pacific, and will cover the end of the European campaign. This part of the game will focus on a pissed off Russian army that has just pushed the Germans out of their country. The mood will be set to revenge and desperation, as the Germans try to keep their struggle going, and keep it away from Germany.

The actual game-play will be more of the same from other CoD games. Hardened Veterans will feel right at home when picking this game up for the first time. All of the epic CoD action will be present, and with the cleverness and down right cunning of the Japanese, this game will have you almost scared to look around that next corner for fear of a crazy Japanese guy strapped with explosives!!!

The game will also come equipped with online or split screen co-op play. For me this is a huge improvement over previous titles in the series. The co-op campaign will also have a little twist to it. You will be able to rank up and unlock bonuses by completing certain objectives and earning experience points. I read that a lot of the bonuses that will be unlocked will be for competitive multi-player, and for the first time, you will be able to use them in the single player campaign as well, so this will give the hardcore online gamer to give the single/co-op campaign a shot as well. The competitive online multi-player will have up to 16 players at a time. All the normal modes will be available, and there is speculation on a few new ones.

This game will also allow a few new tools to use to your advantage. For the first time in a CoD game you will be able to swim, that's right swim. How many times have you seen your objective right there but right across a river? No more You will also be able to shoot through cover. No longer will you have to wait for that elusive sniper to rear his ugly head into the reticule of your gun. I read that you will even be able to shoot a hole in a wall big enough to walk through!!!(If you want to waste your ammo)

I am not totally sure on how many new weapons will be available in the game yet. It is confirmed that there will be a flamethrower, and it is supposed to be based on the one from Return to Castle Wolfenstein. There will also be some new artillery, as well as a few new infantry and vehicle based weapons for us to kill with.

Graphics

What can I say about the graphics of these games that loyal fans do not already know? In short, these games are a graphic marvel. Stunning visuals mixed with beautiful level design make the technical side of these games almost flawless. If you need a refresher course on what the graphics and sound will be like, just pop in good old CoD4, (if you have it) and bask in the glory that it gives. CoD: WaW is based off of the same engine with a few minor changes, so it should look about the same. The characters will show great detail, as will the weapons, enemies, and the vast combat zones that we all know and love. Her are some screen-shots for you to drool over

Final Thoughts

This game will be epic on so many levels. The new features and enemy AI will definitely make this new addition very interesting. The fact that you can now have bonuses to use for the single player campaign, and the fact that it will be 2-4 player co-op is what really get me pumped up about this game. I have played every CoD game out there, and with every new one that came out I asked: "Why don't they make these games co-op? It would be 10 times better with co-op." I guess some intern over at Activision finally spoke up and said that it would be better if there was co-op. It sure took them long enough I for one can't wait for this to hit the shelves.

Trailer

Last edited by WNxSaltyMcSushi; 08-01-2008 at 12:49 PM..

Primary: Warframe
Warrior Nation

United States WNxSaltyMcSushi
08-03-2008, 01:57 AM
Local Time: 06:39 PM
RTS/Console
Sushi of the Month
Here's a new review from JokazWild!

"I rebind my 'Fire Extinguisher' key every game just to keep it interesting." -Maxwell

Warrior Nation

WNxTerminator
08-03-2008, 02:29 AM
Unregistered
#
I think the WW2 card has been played way too many times. I'd rather see another modern day one, or even one based in the future (like BF 2142)

Good report though

Warrior Nation

WNxKaRath
08-03-2008, 03:59 AM
Unregistered
#
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxTerminator View Post
I think the WW2 card has been played way too many times. I'd rather see another modern day one, or even one based in the future (like BF 2142)

Good report though
BF2142 was an epic failure.

Though I'd like to see a CoD RTS game.

Warrior Nation

WNxSpongeman
08-03-2008, 04:59 AM
Unregistered
#
Looking forward to this game. Awesome review, good job jokaz!

Although I partialy agree with terminator I think its a good change in the cod series to move geographicly. As cod 1 and 2 were both mainly on EU grounds, I think its a nice change to move to the japanese part of ww2. However, what I tend to miss in ww2 games is the German side of the story. Aww well, Jokaz, awesome review, keep it up!

Hope aniother review will come when more info about the game gets released!

Primary: Diablo 3
Warrior Nation

Christmas Island WNxGaz
08-03-2008, 05:48 AM
Local Time: 11:39 PM
Great review, I will buy this game definatly even though i think i prefer it being modern warfare but maybe my opinion will change after I play it .

Primary: Xbox Division
Warrior Nation

Scotland WNxKerr
08-03-2008, 07:27 AM
Local Time: 10:39 PM
METALLICA
...And Justice for All
nice review, this will definetly be on my xbox they day it comes out, cant wait to get the old ww2 rifles back!

WolfCub.

The Kerr Bear. GT: Feckerr

Primary: Warrior Nation
Warrior Nation

United States WNxChronis
08-03-2008, 07:55 AM
Local Time: 05:39 PM
Runes of Magic
Great report + rep for you i am dying for this game to come out now i deffinently cant wait since i saw this smexy review.

Warrior Nation

WNxSpartan300
08-03-2008, 08:33 AM
Unregistered
#
Tired of the WW2 but ill check this game out, good preview +rep

Warrior Nation

Netherlands WNxDarkNyte
08-03-2008, 08:41 AM
Local Time: 12:39 AM
great preview, surely gonna get this game xD

Primary: Warrior Nation
Warrior Nation

Germany WNxSimon
08-03-2008, 10:13 AM
Local Time: 11:39 PM
Nice one! Well done!

"Even the strongest of opponents always has a weakness."

Warrior Nation

United States WNxghost 1100
08-03-2008, 01:43 PM
Local Time: 05:39 PM
Honorable Discharge
To be? Or not to be?
I'm a Cat: woof
http://warriornation.net/Forum/showthread.php?t=426400
this is my CoD4 xbox CoD5 disscussion thread where we all talk about the game. if you guys wanted to post in it go ahead and great review i havnt seen those screen shots yet

Warrior Nation

WNxDynex
08-03-2008, 02:26 PM
Unregistered
Good preview!

Dx

Warrior Nation

WNxWiglet
08-03-2008, 08:52 PM
Unregistered
wow i love cod and i cant wait for this to come out!!! fantastic review! +REP

Warrior Nation

Belgium WNxScooby
08-04-2008, 02:44 AM
Honorable Discharge
"Bazinga"
GIMME BEER
Great preview Jokaz.

And I'm glad that COD is returning to WWII again.
COD4 is great if you look @ the graphics. But I'm just more of a "fan" of the WWII genre.

Kinda agree with Spongy, I would love to see a WWII game from COD where you must play the german campaign, would be nice.

Warrior Nation

WNxSerenity
08-04-2008, 06:30 PM
Unregistered
Ooh, cool preview!

I've only played CoD4, but I like it so I might get this one.

://Druscie

Warrior Nation

Taiwan WNxSwordFishLongspear
08-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Local Time: 03:39 PM
Honorable Discharge
Fury of the Fish ><>-
I'd like to play AS the Japanese instead of being Allied all the time...but that's just me. Great review of a great looking game bro

-Swordfish Longspear

Warrior Nation

WNx Luna Emines
08-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Unregistered
Nice preview Jokaz

Will be getting this game for sure

Warrior Nation

Germany WNxJanitor
08-06-2008, 11:43 PM
WoW Characters
CSS God
Looks great !!

Rep+ for the great preview. ^_^

Warrior Nation

WNxKoudo
08-07-2008, 10:47 AM
Unregistered
Looks very good. Will more than likley be getting that when it comes out!

Koudo

Closed Thread