Thread: Preview - Battlefield Heroes (POTM June 2008)
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

WNxSerenity
06-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Unregistered
#
Preview - Battlefield Heroes (POTM June 2008)
Preview
Author: WNxDruscilla

Battlefield Heroes
Click the image to open in full size.

Platform: PC
Genre Category: FPS
Date of Release: Summer 2008
ESRB: RP
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: Dice
Rating: A
Official Site URL: http://www.battlefield-heroes.com/

Introduction:
Battlefield Heroes is a third-person shooter. Many games are third-person shooters, I know - but this one is different.

EA's rather uplifting, yet suspicious decision to make Battlefield Heroes a free to play web-based game was eventually taken as a gem to all of us gamers. This is the first game in the Battlefield franchise to be branded as a free to download and play game. Even though I have not yet played this game; and so my curiosity over the game's price - or lack thereof - is causing me to think that this game might not be all that it is cracked up to be, I was still interested. So, I did my research.

About Gameplay:
After viewing the first trailer for this game, which can be located here, I was quite literally laughing at it. Not because I think this game is going to be a load of horse manure, but that I think it's going to be the most fun since I worked out how to tie my own shoelaces.

This game is crazy, quite literally. The trailer begins with a very serious tone, and then quickly transforms into shows of brightly-coloured, wacky gameplay. From soldiers hitching a ride on the wings of planes to other soldiers zooming around in tanks like they're the latest super car, I'm certain that this game will have you all in fits of laughter, if not I'm sure you will at least smile.

In the game itself, there is only one game mode. This is similar to a deathmatch game crossed with the classic Battlefield conquest mode. Each team has a total of 50 tickets each, and each time you die and respawn one ticket is used. The goal is to be the last team standing. On the game maps, there are also capture points that can give your team bonuses, such as, controlling all of the points may result in one kill on your team making the other team lose two tickets instead of one. You never know! Also, the maximum number of people in one game is 16, which in my opinion is pretty good.

When playing, the majority of the action is portrayed in the third person, save for the sniper scope. I believe third person is used because it is more appealing to new gamers, and is not as scary. I prefer third person shooters. In third person, you will also be able to see your fully-customizable characters (more on that later).

The physics behind the game is as unrealistic as the gameplay itself, and not in a bad way. This, along with the violence, is all “cartoony” like the game, so it can appeal to all players. Something like jumping out of or off of a plane in mid-air will result in you landing safely, rather than turning yourself into a road-pizza.
In addition, when playing a match, you can give your character a special ability. For example, you can equip explosive bullets so you cause burning damage on someone. Another ability is a wall hack that lets you detect enemy soldiers behind solid objects, and another is a health burst, that will heal not only you, but those around you.

So, the game is indeed free to play, with nothing that you have to pay for at the moment. If anything is created that you have to pay for, I would say that it would be new clothes and accessories for your character.

Characters and classes:
In this game, there are two teams, one is called the National Army, and the other is called the Royal Army:

The conflict behind this game is as silly and wacky as the game itself: they're fighting over a quarrel regarding the Olympics.

As well as the two armies, there are three classes that both armies can play as:

Commando
- The light class, who are pretty much snipers. Armed with a knife and a sniper rifle and they cannot be seen from far away. When up-close, they appear semi-transparent.

Soldier
- The medium class. They have a good mixture of speed and firepower.

Gunner
- The heaviest class, and so are the slowest. They are armed with a machine gun and a bazooka.

Even though the bazooka is clearly the anti-vehicle weapon, all classes are equipped with sticky mines.

You choose which class you wish to play as at the beginning of the match, and you cannot change it until the beginning of the next match.

The character creation menu, which can be seen on this delightful demo, reminds me of what you'd see on an RPG game. You can change many aspects of your character, such as: hair style, colours, clothes and other accessories. You can unlock new clothes and accessories by leveling up and gaining new ranks.

System requirements:
Another aspect of this game that I feel will attract more players are the surprisingly low system requirements. This is what is posted on the official website:

We're currently aiming for a minimum requirement of:
  • Operating System: Windows XP or Windows Vista
  • CPU: 1.0 GHz
  • RAM: 512 Mb (1Gb on Windows Vista)
  • Video Card: 64Mb DirectX compliant video card with at least pixel shader 2.0 support
  • Hard Drive space: 1Gb of space is required to install the game
  • Internet connection: 256kbit Cable/DSL connection
Keep in mind that this may change somewhat by the time we release Battlefield Heroes. Nevertheless we are aiming for wide availability; we don't think anyone should have a super computer to be able to play and have fun.

I myself am very happy to see this, because my own computer isn't that great, so I should be able to play this.

Screenshot gallery:

Nnnnnneow!

Boom!

That's a pretty big gun...

Missed me!

My thoughts and opinions:
Despite the low requirements that some super-computer owners may dread to see, I feel that this game is going to be a success. While appealing to previous Battlefield gamers, it also charms other gamers into giving it a try. The lower requirements results in more computers being able to play it, which then would result in more players. Also, the fact that this game is free is a massive plus.

EA seem to be trying to make their money from this game through the use of advertisements that would appear on loading screens and such. No in-game advertisements, just loading ones. Another source is the possibility of new customizable equipment.

I will definitely be giving this game a try, and I can't wait until it is released. I think this game would be great to try and create a section for here. Thank you for taking the time to read my preview about Battlefield Heroes.

Information gathered (but not copied) from:
Gamespot
Battlefield Heroes Official Website

://Dru

Last edited by WNxSerenity; 06-11-2008 at 02:53 AM.. Reason: Fixed Font And Images

Warrior Nation

WNxKorsan
06-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Unregistered
#
Give a BIG hand to Druscilla with her preview of Battlefield Heroes!

A preview we all agreed upon that it was just pure Awesome!

Warrior Nation

WNxNemesis
06-12-2008, 01:36 AM
Unregistered
#
ok i wanted to know if you guys could confirm a rumor about this game theres only 2 maps on launch true or not?

Warrior Nation

WNxKaRath
06-12-2008, 03:23 AM
Unregistered
#
Have no idea Nemesis.

Good preview! Though there is something wrong with this statement, can someone spot it...

Quote:
Battlefield Heroes is a brand new Play 4 Free game from the people that brought you the multi-million selling Battlefield 1942 and Battlefield 2
*cough BF2142 cough*

Warrior Nation

WNxWiiE
06-12-2008, 05:31 AM
Unregistered
#
Waow great preview!
The trailer look awesome xD
''and not getting shot in the face by a ultra-skilled 15 years old boy who plays the game everyday for 8 hours'' lmao

Warrior Nation

WNxSerenity
06-12-2008, 06:48 AM
Unregistered
#
Ooh, I found a lot of information on the official website about abilities.

Here it is:

Quote:
For those new to the BF games a "Battlefield Moment" is any time in the game when things go horribly right. For example: A grenade lands near your feet causing you to flee in panic knowing death has swept down on you. Only to have said grenade not kill you, but instead launch you into the air feeling a mix of relief and joy just as a low flying plane strikes you, returning you to your home base in a euphoric rush of confusion. Though this did create another dilemma: How do we create moments that are almost always accidental? Being an American I immediately created an oxymoron to answer this problem "Controlled Chaos".

Allow me to use an ability which has already been discussed, for an example. The Grenade Spam ability allows the Soldier class to throw many grenades at once. Each of these grenades is on a timer, and each explosion will push the remaining grenades around. Being bounce-happy little things this can cause the grenades to end up in some weird places. Thus the Soldier is able to introduce a measured amount of chaos into the playground. Though not all abilities are used to introduce chaos, some are best used to survive the heroic hijinx that goes on.

Heroic Shield allows the Gunner to protect himself and all nearby team mates with a shield that will last for a short period or until a certain amount of damage has been inflicted. Not terribly impressive by itself. However, should you find yourself in a cluster of grenades or the soon recipient of a gift-wrapped tank shell, this shield will allow you a chance to find yourself in a tree contemplating the good life enjoyed by local squirrels. Also, since the Gunner is able to share this shield with nearby friends it helps re-enforce the feeling of this class being a nice guy to have around. But we need more examples!

The Commando's abilities are actually the least chaotic. This is due to the Commando being a very deliberate class that suits those people who are, well, rather evil, to be honest. The commando can increase his damage with his sniper rifle, poison victims with his knife, turn invisible both to run away or to gain an advantage over the unwary prey, or set down a trap to catch the inattentive. All of these things are very deliberate acts. However, the presence of this sneaky class introduces another element of chaos; usually noted by other players with the expression "Great monkey tango, where did he come from!?" (Expression has been cleaned up for the ultra skilled swearing 15 year olds).

Now there is a last ability I want to talk about, because it really is my favorite. Going by the name Blasting Strike this ability is probably the most chaotic, and responsible for some of my favorite moments so far while developing and play testing Heroes. Simply put, blasting strikes allow the Soldier to take all nearby enemy troops, vehicles, and empty vehicles and move them elsewhere. Elsewhere may be defined as 'a few feet that way' or, "How did that tank get up there?" At first this ability was a hard sell to Mr. Salt. I believe the moment when he first saw the method to my madness was somewhere between crushing three enemies with a tank, and throwing a jeep into a passing spitfire plane.

Although I haven't covered all the class abilities in Battlefield Heroes (there are quite a few more!) I hope this has helped everyone better understand what our vision of "cartoon game play" represents. I look forward to seeing you all in game!
Also, I found this on the website too, Nemesis, this should answer your question:

Quote:
Secondly - we are launching with two maps, but we already have one other in development - we are playtesting it as we speak and it's great. Should be ready in the months, if not weeks, directly after launch. We have a full-time level designer assigned in the game's post-launch team to keep making new maps (if you want more that is, we can make vehicles or game modes if you want instead) and we will be polling the community to find out what type of content you want to play.

So, to re-iterate. We are launching with two maps, we have no plans to sell maps, and more maps will be available for free soon after launch.
://Drusie

Warrior Nation

Netherlands WNxDarkNyte
06-12-2008, 09:27 AM
Local Time: 08:44 PM
nice preview about battlefield heroes

Warrior Nation

WNxStep07mar
06-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Unregistered
#
Yeah this game looks good

Nice preview

Warrior Nation

WNxVucke
06-12-2008, 10:36 AM
Unregistered
#
Awesome preview

The game looks good

Warrior Nation

Germany WNxJanitor
06-12-2008, 01:34 PM
Local Time: 08:44 PM
WoW Characters
CSS God
Good preview there! =]

Rep+

Warrior Nation

WNxG2Wolf
06-12-2008, 03:17 PM
Unregistered
Nice preview

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxKaRath View Post
Good preview! Though there is something wrong with this statement, can someone spot it...
Quote:
Battlefield Heroes™ is a brand new Play 4 Free game from the people that brought you the multi-million selling Battlefield 1942™ and Battlefield 2™

*cough BF2142 cough*
Nothing wrong with that statement. 2142 failed.

Warrior Nation

WNxAmen
06-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Unregistered
Looks great. I like the graphics of this game. Nice review too.

Warrior Nation

United States WNxJNG
06-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Local Time: 01:44 PM
Game looks good.
I'll consider it.

Nice review.

WNxJNG & WNxJurafalle - Rock Band Buddies <3

Warrior Nation

WNxMnemic
06-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Unregistered
The Preview is fantastic, very colorful and descriptive and yes, informative as always from your work. I'm looking to play on the release of BF:H!
+Rep!

Warrior Nation

WNxSnuggles
06-13-2008, 04:22 PM
Unregistered
Nice Preview!!! I agree mnemic... very informative!!!

Primary: Warrior Nation
Warrior Nation

United Kingdom WNxFatality
06-13-2008, 07:00 PM
Local Time: 07:44 PM
The CoDFather
aka FatalEnigma
really nice preview!!! +reppp

I am glad about the requirements because I have a bad pc too And I love team fortress and battlefield so this is like a dream come true

| VAT | Sgt Major | BO Captain | CJ | Major x2 | Editor x2 | FO Captain x3 | Game Champion | Recon Captain | Recon Colonel

Warrior Nation

WNxPwned
06-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Unregistered
Looks great cant wait to download it!

Warrior Nation

WNxWolfinator
06-15-2008, 04:45 PM
Unregistered
I'm so gonna play this game! It's the weirdest game ever. HURRAY!
It looks awesome, +rep

Primary: Warrior Nation
Warrior Nation

Germany WNxSimon
06-16-2008, 12:31 PM
Local Time: 07:44 PM
Nice one! Well done!

"Even the strongest of opponents always has a weakness."

Warrior Nation

WNxCokemonkey
06-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Unregistered
very interesting preview, I didn't realize this much info was out about the game already. Looks like fun.

Closed Thread