Thread: Review - The Godfather : The Game
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

WNxDarkAngel
05-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Unregistered
#
Review - The Godfather : The Game
Review
Author: WNxDarkAngel

The Godfather : The Game
Click the image to open in full size.

Platform: PC
Genre Catagory: RPG
Date of Release: March 21, 2006
ESRB: M
Publisher: Electronic Arts
Developer: Electronic Arts
Rating: A
Official Site URL: http://www.ea.com/official/godfather...er/us/home.jsp

About the Developer
Well, honestly now, which guy that calls himself a gamer can say he has never heard of Electronic Arts before. We know them from the sports games such as FIFA, from one of their newer games Command & Conquer 3, from the famous Need for Speed series, … It would take me an entire day just to write down all the games they have released.

The storyline

The game follows the storyline from the movie quite well up to a certain point. You don’t play any of the main characters from the movie though. You play an unknown guy starting from scratch, going through all the family ranks and eventually become Don of New York. You start off with Luca Brasi, an enforcer for the Corleone family. He introduces you to the skills of a mobster and some crime friends of his. After a while, he dies, just like in the movie, and you continue the story with a new friend : Monk. The story evolves and you get to know many people such as Clemenza and Michael Corleone. They’ll give you more missions until you’ve done them all and become the Don of the Corleone Family. But it doesn’t end here! Your goal is to become Don of New York and to do that, you need to take all rival families out.

Gameplay

General gameplay
In general the game looks a lot like GTA. You walk around in a big world carrying lots of guns and other stuff. You fight other crime families and try to take over everything. You can steal cars for transportation, upgrade your guns, … The game itself runs in a third person view. You have a crosshair on your screen for free fire when it’s you against 50 others (this will happen a lot, don’t worry ) but I recommended using auto-aim for precise shooting.

Missions
Members of the family have missions for you. They send you out to do their dirty work first, but later on, more important missions will be trusted to you. You’ll even end up doing some things you saw in the movie such as killing Paulie, getting the horse’s head in Woltz bed and tuns of other things you may know. These missions form the main story line for the game and if you do them all, you’ll end up as the Don of the Corleones.

Contract hits
In Contract Hit missions, you have to take a threat to the family out. Mostly, you’ll get them from Tessio but occassionaly, someone else has a Contract Hit for you as well. In general, these aren’t to hard compared to the storyline missions. But if you want to make them a little harder, you can always try and achieve the bonus objective. Not only will this get you more reputation, you’ll also receive more cash. Bonus objectives usually include killing someone in a special way like throwing them in an oven or knock their heads with a baseball bat.

Extortion
Taking families out also includes taking over their businesses. To do that, you have to convince the owner that you can guarantee better protection for a good price. Depending on your respect, this goes the easy or the hard way. You start of by talking to them and sometimes they’ll just pay you but it doesn’t always go that way. Destroying some things or knocking their head on the table will do the job then. But don’t go to far ! A man pushed beyond his limits can do some dangerous stuff. They’ll start attacking you and you won’t be able to take the business over. You’ll have two options then. You either run but be careful because the controlling family is waiting for you or you kill the guy and his mobster friends.

Rackets
When you’ve extorted a business, not only will there be money added to your weekly payment, the backdoor will be unlocked as well. And dirty businesses are located behind them. Taking over this illegal rackets is nearly the same as taking over businesses, you search the racket boss, convince him that he owes his loyalty to the Corleones and kill the mobsters standing in your way. Once again, after you’ve convinced the racket boss, money will be added to your weekly payment

Black merchants

You can pick up weapons that other people have left and sometimes when you buy a safehouse, you get weapons as well but if that isn’t enough, you turn to the black merchants. They sell every weapon there is in the game. You can use your map to find them. If you’ve got all weapons and still can’t kill all those bastards, I suggest you buy an upgrade. It’s pricy but definitely worth it.

Robbing the bank
Tired of killing mobsters for the 50$ they have in their pockets ? Perhaps a career of bank robbing is suited for you. Before you decide to rob a bank, visit the black merchant that sells bombs first. You need a bomb to blow up the safe. Go to the bank, kill all the guards, blow up the safe and grab the money. Leave the bank through the side exit where a car will be waiting for you. You are going to need this since your heat level has gone up a lot. Drive to your savehouse and the money will be added to your grand total.

Mob wars
If you’re getting on the nerves of one of the rival families, vendetta level rises and when the meter is full, you’ll start a mob war. The rival family will hunt you down and shoot you whenever they have the chance. They’ll also try and destroy your business. You have to end he mob war in 48 houres or else.. To end the mob war, bomb one of the rival familily’s businesses or bribe an FBI agent. It may look pricy but sometimes it’s a lot cheaper than a war with another family.

Don of NYC
This is the final goal of the game. To do this, you first have to become Don of the Corleone Family and take over all businesses. Make sure before you take over the last business, that you have done all execution styles because you need to have done them all before you can become Don of NYC and you need to use them on mobsters, not civilians.

Families

Corleone

We all know this family from the movie. Lead by Vito Corleone and later on Michael, they regain their strength in New Italy by taking out the other families. With Capo Regimes Clemenza and Tessio, and private enforcer Luca Brasi, their enthourage is large and strong. You start off as an unofficial enforcer for this family but you'll become their Don.

Tattaglia

The Tattaglias are the weakest family in the game. They have lost a lot of power and or forced to work together with other families and outsiders such as narcotics dealer Solozzo. Bruno Tattaglia is the son of the Don and he wants the Corleones eliminated. Eliminating the Corleones and take over their businesses is the solution to get their power back. At the beginning they have control over Little Italy and Brooklyn so I suggest you start by getting Corleone turf back and regain control over Little Italy.

Stracci

Straccis are stronger than Tattaglias, however not particularly well-organized. They are feared for their brute force but not unbeatable. They don’t tend to get out of New Jersey much but keeping their turf small makes it easier to defend though profit is limited as well. They are mostly feared for smuggling explosives from out-of-state.

Cuneo

Cuneos are well-organized and know what they’re doing. They have good skills and control some of the most well-established rackets. They don’t hate the Corleones though you don’t want to mess with them without lots of ammo. Their turf is Hell’s Kitchen, which looks terrible but there is a lot of money to earn their. Just watch out for those guys in red suits.

Barzini

Though Don Barzini was at the Wedding of Corleones daughter, the families are no friends. Barzini is the brain behind the anger of the Tattaglias against the Corleones. They are the most powerful family in all of NYC. They control police and other authorities which gives them room for valuable rackets and businesses. They are wealthy but hard to take out since they’ll fight you until their last breath. Don’t take them out right away, build it up from Tattaglia over Stracci to Cuneo. Barzini comes last and you’ll need the experience you’ve gained from taking other families out because Don Emilio Barzini will do anything within his power to stop you and believe me when I say he has a lot of power.

The judge’s verdict
(since Malign has pattented his, THIS ONE IS MINE ! )
Gameplay 9/10
Not an original concept since it’s borrowed from GTA however it has been improved vastly and controls are fluently.

Graphics 8/10

Even with drawing distance at the maximum, cars keep popping up and they all drive with their wheels in the ground. The world is very detailed and is worked out well. When you are roaming around NYC, you’ll even see scenes from the movie. There are a lot of interiors as well but they are used over and over again so you’ll often see the same butcher and the same baker.

Sound 8/10

The sound is adjusted to the mood and has been chosen good though not exceptional. Some music has been copied from the original movie.

Replay Value 8/10
It takes a long time before you manage to finish the game. Offcourse you’ll have to start over again then but there are so many missions that it’ll take you ages. You can do missions in many different ways. All out attack, or with careful thinking.. With an exception for the interiors and the inhabitants of NYC, you won’t have many déjà-vu’s.

Overall 8.25/10

A very interesting single player game with tuns of missions and a well-worked out concept. A must have for the fans of mobster games such as GTA and made man. A recommendation for other gamers looking for another game then WOII shooters.

Last edited by WNxDarkAngel; 09-12-2007 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Images fixed.

Primary: Xbox Division
Warrior Nation

Canada WNxChange
05-23-2007, 12:30 PM
Local Time: 07:52 AM
Development FPS
Omnia Passim
A new review on yet another successful EA game, The Godfather written by WNxDarkAngel.

Enjoy the review and don't forget to rep the author.

"Brothers a idiot, he should have ran faster." - WNxSabrina

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_wyfM2-ie-g - My car flipped over =\

Primary: Overwatch
Warrior Nation

United States WNxAwp666
05-23-2007, 02:24 PM
Local Time: 10:52 AM
Honorable Discharge
FPS Genre > You
Awesome review, keep up the good work

Warrior Nation

WNxPuff
05-23-2007, 04:23 PM
Unregistered
#
Grea review! I played this game, didint beat it, and I totally agree

Warrior Nation

WNxeSSS
05-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Unregistered
#
beat this game for PsP loved it, had fun beating it. Great game, Great review.

~eSSS

Warrior Nation

WNxVaught
05-23-2007, 09:03 PM
Unregistered
#
Great review. Too bad I didnt share the same tastes. Too Gun n Run for me, but the storyline was great. Keep em coming, DA!

Warrior Nation

WNxJolinar
05-23-2007, 11:23 PM
Unregistered
#
Awesome review, this is definately the style of game that i'm into and could enjoy alot!

Primary: Xbox Division
Warrior Nation

United States WNxRidgeRacer
05-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Local Time: 09:52 AM
Great review man keep it up.

Just drive cause you love it
Drive for pure victory.

Warrior Nation

WNxRawrasaur
05-25-2007, 10:48 AM
Unregistered
#
Another nice review. *Thumbs up!*

-Rawr

Warrior Nation

WNxInSane
05-26-2007, 08:21 PM
Unregistered
great review.

played the game and enjoys it

Warrior Nation

WNxKaragath
05-27-2007, 09:16 AM
Unregistered
Nice review DA =D

Warrior Nation

WNxGoofy
05-28-2007, 05:41 AM
Unregistered
Good interview dude. +rep

Keep up the good work.

.goofs

Warrior Nation

WNxDarkAngel
06-01-2007, 05:02 PM
Unregistered
I just heared the news from a friend that they are looking to make a MMO out of this. That would be awesome ! Anyone has any intell on that ?

Warrior Nation

WNxFender
06-06-2007, 12:52 AM
Unregistered
You know, when this game came out, i judged the book by it's cover thinking it was going to be a scene for scene remake of the god father in game mode. This happens a lot when popular movies are released. Most notable crappy games inspired off popular movies are without a doubt all the Lord of the Rings games and anything disney and pixar related. However, i should've sat down and tried it. Really, the coolest thing about it is that it seems very close to GTA, which definately helps me when choosing a game cause GTA was a pioneer and a leader in it's own genre. The last game had me occupied for almost a year if you count how many times i played it. Anyways, thank you for the review and good work on it. Very detailed, clear and concise. Everything a good review needs was in here.

gratz!

Fender

Warrior Nation

WNxSempah
06-06-2007, 04:36 AM
Unregistered
I love the review, but the game itself is not that good though. I think it is just a jerkoff of GTA. The movie The Godfather can't be equal with the game. The movies were great, so the gamemakers got a very hard job. You can't make something better than it's already perfect. You can only do bad though?

About the cars, i think the cars drive too fast. Man they ain't ferraries or what! They go like eeeeeuugghhh throug the corners. What years does the game play in? Like years '30/'50, something like that? Cars can't drive that fast, they can nowadays but they could't in that types of years.

Greetz Stefan, aka Sempah

Closed Thread