Thread: Review - Knight Shift
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

WNxTyger
07-26-2006, 10:06 AM
Unregistered
#
Review - Knight Shift
Review
Author: WNxTyger

Knight Shift
Click the image to open in full size.

Platform: PC
Genre Catagory: N/A
Date of Release: already out (N/A)
ESRB: EC
Publisher: Zuxxez, Reality Pump
Developer: Zuxxez, Reality Pump
Rating: A
Official Site URL: www.knightshift.com

2 Games in 1. How many times have we all heard this, only to find out it was partially true?
Well no more! Zuxxez Entertainment, situated in Germany finally did it for real.
They have created one game in which can play both RPG and RTS. Not in a combined matter,
but the two features are separated from each other, containing one storyline that starts off with the RPG-part and ends with the RTS-part.

The Storyline

Dark forces are at work in the kingdom. The Prince has been sent to a dark void, after having lost his memory. Now the Kingdom is left without a ruler. And to top it off Syff, Queen of the depraved has kidnapped the High Priest Gallus, who happens to be the only one who can set the prince free and restore him to the throne .In the RPG part you will have the task upon you to free the high priest from the hands of Syff in 8 action packed chapters. After which the RTS part of the game will start. Now it is up to the High Priest Gallus to gather forces and set out to free the prince. The strategy part contains 24 action packed missions guaranteeing a good gaming experience.

Gameplay

As this game contains2 in 1. I will discuss both separately. First up:

Role Playing Game:
The game plays like most other RPG’s. Nothing special to it. On the maps you’ll find quests
given to you by either key characters or the normal town folks, depending on whether you are
following the storyline or just skirmishing. After that it’s simple, do the quest, whatever it
may be, and go back for your reward which will mainly be an item, weapon, or plain old gold
coins. Now for the fun part, as we all know, before starting an RPG adventure we get to create
a character, choose his class, customize him/her, and get to it. In this particular game there are
8 distinctive characters to choose from with their own appearance, skills, class, weapon
mastery, attributes and so on. It is a pity, but you wont get to change the appearance of your character other then color of his/her main outfit, and of course the armor he or she wears
changes the appearance as well. Yo do get to change the different attributes though, each level
you gain, you’ll earn skill points that you may distribute among the attributes in whatever way
you’d like.

The 8 Characters: all with their own unique story, copied out of the game itself.

Archer
A well traveled and highly skilled and cultured fighting man who spent too much time in
Sherwood forest wearing green tights, which may explain his manner of speech. He claims to
have learnt his marksmanship from Robin of Loxely himself and became an RPG-hero while
drinking a nice cup of tea, and chocking on the leaves. His coughing and spluttering was
mistaken for a positive answer.

Knight
This character, the born hero, from an aristocratic family saw it as his duty to stand by the
Royal Family also in their absence. He manages to make most people quite sick with his
stories of heroic deeds and dragons conquered, but is nevertheless a fierce warrior and a brave
knight.

Spearman
The spearman or ‘Lancer’ is a very rough and ready type of person who became part of the
Priest Preservation Liberation Taskforce shortly after meeting the mother-in-law. It was the
only logical thing to do, according to his philosophy: “Tis better to meet and fight a thousand
enemies then to cross the mother-in-law’s path twice on a bad day”

Barbarian
From a long line of woodcutters and builders, this powerful axe wielding character became
unemployed after clearing the rainforest in North Africa. After the last tree fell he stood on
the stump and shouted: “Hurra!” The locals, of course, misunderstood him and called the
place Sahara. He wandered to the north, ignoring a few forests on the way and eventually
landed in the kingdom where Prince John was yet to rule. He felt at home in this green and
pleasant land but was still faced with the prospect of not finding any work as the kingdom had
enough woodcutters to deal with their building demands. His participation on a job-training
for mechanic was unsuccessful for the obvious reasons and so, disappointed he walked into
the forest and started to live on what the forest could offer him. After a year or two of eating
bears and fruit and defending his territory as aggressively as any warrior would, the other
forest dwellers named him ‘The Barbarian”

Priestess
The priestess began her career as apprentice of the priest and took over the admin department
for the United Temples of Power after her training. After many years of institutional business
she decided to go back to the roots of her job and speak directly to the gods, and not get the
divine news second hand from some eccentric old man. With the help of the gods she became
very adept at the use of spells and magic scrolls for holy combat. When she heard that her old
master and mentor had been kidnapped, she was the first true volunteer for the Liberation
Squad.

Amazon Mage
This young, attractive, swimsuit dressed and carefully tattooed female character is specially
designed to take the attention of the large group of Y.U.M.E. To avoid any frustration of this
very big target group, the Amazon Mage can take advantage of powerful spells, scrolls and
magical items. To fully attract and heat up the Y.U.M.E group, the voice-over of this
character is a bit provoking and lewd. She’s a young, well, but lightly dressed woman with
one powerful magic attribute. Using her staff she can create a burning lightning spell and can
roast, fry, toast or boil the enemy very efficiently from a safe distance without causing any
harm among her own people. She can find and use amulets to increase her resilience in battle
and Mana in the Knight Shift if she is fast enough, for there is a lot of competition for these
valuable artifacts.

Sorcerer/Wizard
Older then the forest, but younger then the Priest, the wizard became part of the Gallus
Liberation Team because he had forgotten the punch line to a spell-joke. Completely
frustrated. he began speaking to himself loudly and was heard by the wrong ears as he walked
through the forest saying: “Must find the old git who taught me this style of magic, Gallus,
must find Gallus.”

As stated before these are all unique characters with their own looks, weapons, spells, armors, powers, attributes, personalities, etc etc.

Real Time Strategy

Now let’s continue with the RTS part of the game.
Before we go on I’d like to apologize for not knowing as much about the RTS aspect as I
know about the RPG aspect of the game. I will explain this to the best of my abilities
nonetheless and hope it will all make sense to you .

The RTS aspect of Knight Shift differs quite a bit form the common RTS game.
It’s is built around creating and developing a village, not a city, not a war camp.
Eventually you’ll learn how to create barracks and recruit spearman, knights, wizards,
priestesses and the likes. It holds one very strange, yet unique, resource: Milk.
That’s right, you have to breed cows, and get milk out of them, to be able to build units,
buildings, walls, watchtowers, and fences to protect your cows.

I must say it is quite strange to play RTS in this strange humoristic style, but it can be quite
fun. Later on in the game you’ll get to train milk-boys, who can steal the enemies cows, and
lure them to your village, so you earn more err… milk..

Other then that it is like any other common RTS, build up you’re town, build up an army, find
the enemy town, destroy it, and move on. With some extra quests along the way.
One thing I shouldn’t forget to mention is that you’ll acquire the help of heroes in the form of
knights during your mission to fight the evil wizard’s army. These are also unique characters,
with unique looks and distinctive weapons.

Graphics

The graphics of the game, overall are very good. The game has been around since 2003 now
and claims to be the first one to make use of Pixel per Pixel Shading which creates some nice
graphics. Shader quality is very well-done with great effect and some reasonably realistic
water reflections, fog, fire effect and the likes.
Specially for a game of this age already, there’s no complaints about the graphics.

Multiplayer

By now the multiplayer scheme is not too big, but still fun to do once you find people to play with. If you have this game, and would like some online action I’d gladly hop along for some RPG or maybe even RTS. As far as I know it goes up to 8 players RPG, and probably 4 RTS at one time. But like I said I am not 100% sure, as I haven’t fully tested this out yet.

Overall

A very nice and fun game to play that offers some unique features and some well put humor
along the way. By now it’s been out for quite a while so wont cost too much to buy and would
definitely be worth it’s money without a doubt. If you’re looking for something different, or
simply something ‘new’ then this is the game for you.

Eyecandy

1: Click the image to open in full size.
2: Click the image to open in full size.
3: Click the image to open in full size.
4: Click the image to open in full size.
5: Click the image to open in full size.
6: Click the image to open in full size.
7: Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by WNxTyger; 07-28-2006 at 06:06 AM..

Warrior Nation

WNxTyger
07-26-2006, 02:07 PM
Unregistered
#
New Review: Yeah yeah double post, just to bump it up a lil' .
Anyhoos, enjoy

*RoAr*

Tyger

Warrior Nation

Canada WNxHelios
07-26-2006, 02:12 PM
Local Time: 02:53 PM
Great Interview the game looks good but i doubt i'll get it, thanks for the information

Warrior Nation

WNxKTheoden
07-26-2006, 04:20 PM
Unregistered
#
nice interview m8. you beat me to it. i turned in a review. i was hoping to be thre first new in a month

-Theo

Primary: CnC Renegade
Warrior Nation

Finland WNxSirRetro
07-26-2006, 05:22 PM
Local Time: 04:53 PM
Nice one. But in my opinion you put too many screenshots, overall many screenshots aint bad, but ehh.. Its me

Stats | noobmeter | Wotlabs.net | Wot.eu | My replays
Twitch.tv | SirRetro offline!

Warrior Nation

WNxTeutonic
07-26-2006, 05:38 PM
Unregistered
#
Nice review mate you pretty much covered everything i needed to know and its well written.

P.S you can never have to many screenshots retro

Warrior Nation

WNxSparkZ
07-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Unregistered
#
Nice review mate.

SparkZ

Warrior Nation

WNxT0m
07-26-2006, 07:39 PM
Unregistered
#
Nice review
Graphics are a bit iffy
+1 rep for you though
TOm!

Warrior Nation

WNxCiGaWeeDXL
07-26-2006, 08:14 PM
Unregistered
#
nice one but i would not get this game not one i think i could get into

XL

Warrior Nation

WNxAnger
07-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Unregistered
lol Ok ya I have to agree.. to many SSs... lol Good Job though!

Warrior Nation

WNxTyger
07-27-2006, 04:17 AM
Unregistered
LoL ooh come on! Screenshots is good The more the merrier .

But anyhow, glad ya liked it, despite the screenshots

Warrior Nation

WNxMayhem
07-27-2006, 02:39 PM
Unregistered
looks nice, got some graphics that are just my style, might have to check it out.

Warrior Nation

Spain WNxCJL9788
07-27-2006, 06:56 PM
Local Time: 03:53 PM
El Niņo
Nice review, the game is looking good, I'm always up for a rpg

[17:18] WNxPhoenix: go masturbate if I'm disturbing you! || WNxnomis: If we play granary I will shit in someone's mouth || WNxSpamDiggity: btw you just caught me jacking off
Twitch Stream || Youtube Channel

Warrior Nation

WNxcording12
07-29-2006, 12:40 PM
Unregistered
i like the screenines,graphics could be imporved, not to keen on the plot but those are the negatives for me. The plus is the 2 in 1 part. i like hte change over form rpg to rts, very smooth, and choosing from a variety of characters is nice too. Doubt id buy the game though, well done mate nice review

Warrior Nation

WNxScruffy
07-30-2006, 12:11 PM
Unregistered
Great review

Warrior Nation

WNxBlunk
08-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Unregistered
Great review Tyger!

Blunk

Warrior Nation