Thread: Review- Silk Road Online
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Primary: Warframe
Warrior Nation

United States WNxSaltyMcSushi
01-07-2006, 12:27 AM
Local Time: 06:39 PM
RTS/Console
Sushi of the Month
Review- Silk Road Online
Click the image to open in full size.
Silk Road Online

Platform: PC
Genre: MMORPG
Date of Release: 2002
ESRB: N/A
Developer: Joymax

42/50: You are an adventurer in the world of ancient China who takes the job of stealing from, protecting, or being a trader on the Silk Road.

Game Information

Story (N/A): As SRO has no Single-player, the Single-Player story cannot be rated and instead the Multi-Player score is doubled.

Graphics (10/10): SRO has amazing graphics. The game goes through night and day cycles, and the lighting is great. The amount of lighting is perfected; noon is very bright, the afternoon is dim, and night is dark. The sky looks great, characters and monsters are realistic-moving. Weapons and armor are shiny and sharp. Everything has animations, mostly to make it look like they are affected by wind. Overall, the graphics in SRO are amazing, especially considering the game is free!

Sound and Music (7/10): The first music you encounter is in the login screen, which is a beautiful scene of an ancient Chineese port. THe music here is great. Other than that, the sound is unimpressive. There is music in towns, which changes for events like Christmas. There is no music outside towns. Outside towns, all you hear is the sounds of battle- the same grunts, slashing sounds, and magic sounds over and over. They're not bad, but they're not good either.

Game Play/Control (7/10): SRO uses a mouse and keyboard combination and wither can be used for different actions. Attacking can be a problem; clicking a monster once will only select it, showing you its health. You need the press a hotkey or an icon to attack, or you can click again to attack, though sometimes clicking it doesn't work to attack it. This can be frustarating when you encounter a monster that attacks you, and your character just stands there while you frantically click your mouse.

You can assign actions and spells to a line of boxes assigned to numbers. You can either right-click or press the corresponding number to use the acton. This is an easy system.

To move, you can either use the keyboard arrows or click where you want your character to go. The game pathfinding is- well, not there, so there can't be any objects between you and your destination, but using the keyboard can sometimes end up in an odd lag attack where your character is lag-teleported back to where you started.

Multi-Player (18/20): SRO is a free MMORPG. You gain skills by spending Skill Points, which is different from expirence. You spend the points on techniques. You can expand to a wide range of skills or focus on some. There are three types of armor; Garmets, a type of armor that provides lots of protection from magic, Protector, which gives an even protection from magic and physical attacks, and armor, an armor that gives most of its protection against physical attacks.

Once you get to level 20, the game really starts picking up. You choose one of three professions; the merchant, buying and selling goods between cities and fighting off thiefs, the hunter, who protects merchants and kills wanted thieves, and the thief, who kills and steals from merchants. You can spend your time doing any of the jobs, or doing NPC quests.

Lag can be a problem. There are three servers, and all are working overtime to try and handle the large amount of players.

Guilds can be created. However, they cost 500,000 gold and you need to be atl east level 20 to make them. Also, any guild can declare hostility on any other guild, so there is a possibility that a bunch of high-level jerks make war on everyone and go around PKing.

Multimedia

Screenshots: Click to enlarge

Videos- http://www.silkroadonline.net/dataroom/gamemovie.asp

In Closing

Silk Road Online is a great and good-looking free MMORPG. I think it's a great game, and if you're curious about it you can just download it from the main site below.

Sources:
http://www.silkroadonline.net/ - Silk Road Online Official Site

"I rebind my 'Fire Extinguisher' key every game just to keep it interesting." -Maxwell

Warrior Nation

WNx Mad Devil
01-07-2006, 06:37 AM
Unregistered
#
nice review mate. the game looks fairly interesting allowing the player to do what he wants.

Warrior Nation

WNx-Zoete
01-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Unregistered
#
nice review dude... all good info

Warrior Nation

WNxStranger
01-07-2006, 11:52 AM
Unregistered
#
i actually have started playing it be4 this review and i have to say the game is pretty awesome dont recommend playing on dial up though cause u get tons a lag!!!!

Warrior Nation

WNxPaladin
01-07-2006, 03:50 PM
Unregistered
#
well to be more correct, they actually suspend any new account singups for now...so no matter if we do want to play or don't, we just can't

Warrior Nation

WNxSev
01-08-2006, 01:22 PM
Unregistered
#
that game was good
played it.....very fun

Primary: Xbox Division
Warrior Nation

United States WNxYan
01-08-2006, 02:06 PM
"You Can Do It!"-Goat!
great game, yŠll should try it sometime

http://warriornation.net/Forum/imagehosting/5532467f681d76ecf.jpg
"When there's love in the air, I hold my breath"

Warrior Nation

01-08-2006, 02:08 PM
RTS/Console
Sushi of the Month
They should, we need 7 more guys to make Silk Road in Development...
http://warriornation.net/Forum/showthread.php?t=163667

"I rebind my 'Fire Extinguisher' key every game just to keep it interesting." -Maxwell

Warrior Nation

WNxMadog
01-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Unregistered
#
aww, i would like to play and join new section but i cannot get an acount...

Warrior Nation

United States WNxMateria
01-09-2006, 01:27 AM
Local Time: 03:39 PM
Honorable Discharge
WoW Characters
CRUUUUUU!!!!!!!!!
Nice review! This game is extremly entertaining. Hopefullly they reopen account making so that more people can play.

Last edited by WNxMateria; 01-09-2006 at 01:30 AM..

Warrior Nation

WNxPendatramJr
01-09-2006, 04:09 PM
Unregistered
Nice review sushi!

The graphics look very up-to-par and the game looks pretty good for a free mmorpg. The only problem is, does this game sort of stick to the Knight Online perimeter? If so, I doubt I will be playing it, since Knight Online became very repetitive to me. File space?

Warrior Nation

01-09-2006, 05:47 PM
RTS/Console
Sushi of the Month
Sorry, I don't know the Knight Online Perimiter..

Warrior Nation

WNxStranger
01-09-2006, 09:09 PM
Unregistered
we only need 5 more ppl

Warrior Nation

01-09-2006, 09:20 PM
RTS/Console
Sushi of the Month
Yeah, and we have 4 Secondaries. Looks like SRO is a possibility!

Warrior Nation

WNxStranger
01-09-2006, 09:48 PM
Unregistered
we got 5 secondaries and 5 primarys

ya hopefully it goes threw......yay

Last edited by WNxStranger; 01-09-2006 at 09:52 PM..

Warrior Nation

WNxPrince Of Aus
01-10-2006, 12:18 AM
Unregistered
Free MMORG are always worth a try. Problem is as soon as they becom,e popular the bastards make it PtP...

Sorry im still bitter about Priston Tale....

Warrior Nation

01-10-2006, 01:20 PM
RTS/Console
Sushi of the Month
You mean player vs. Player? If you do that you get warning points and eventually you'll be hunted by the Hunter classes and take damage while in town. You can't be randomly killed by a player without a negative affect to them.

Warrior Nation

WNxSho
02-01-2006, 02:44 AM
Unregistered
Great Review Salty
I am hoping this review is what helped launch Silk Road into Development

Warrior Nation

WNxBombshell
02-03-2006, 10:20 AM
Unregistered
Awesome review! Thanks for sharing!

Warrior Nation