Thread: Preview: Dungeons & Dragons Online
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

United States WNxIcee
08-03-2005, 11:22 PM
Local Time: 07:36 AM
Official Guest
«¤« »¤»
Preview: Dungeons & Dragons Online
Dungeons & Dragons Online

Platform: PC
Genre: MMORPG
Date of Release: 11/2/2005
ESRB: Rating Pending (RP)
Developer: Turbine Entertainment
Publisher: Atari

Summary: Set back in the ancient land of Eberron, play as your favorite D&D Character, with complete customization.

Story: ?/?
Revolving around the famous City of Stormreach. Players can meet here, role-play, converse, sell items, and trade. All over the city, infamous sightings from the D&D stories are spotted, such as Floating Towers, Magical Airships traveling from place to place.

Future story references, quests, and plots have not been released yet.

Graphics: 10/10
From Screen Shots and Trailers, the graphics are looking to be quite clean and crisp. The details of little traps showing under brush, and the shadows, and detail of each model. The graphics so far look better than the latest MMORPG, Everquest 2.

Sounds and Music: 10/10
Sound Downloads seem to be very, very impressive, by including as minor sounds as splinters breaking off doors, and if they miss you, you hear the specific sound. If they stick into you, you hear the flesh and bone tearing, and the wail of the player. Supposedly, you can even hear the blood dripping down your body, if the Bleed Effect is on your player.

No music or sound tracks have been released, but from reports of Game Testers, the music fits the game perfectly.

Gameplay/Controls: 10/10 In the city players will meet up for adventuring parties and raids. Instead of most games, where you enter an instance or dungeon, and their is no goal, other than mass killing of enemies. D&D Online presents players with a goal/mission in the instance/dungeon whether it be taking a Cleric down to a Shrine, Hidden in the zone, or finding a lost talisman. Also, with every action you do, their is a response/counter effect, just like Dungeon masters would do to players. One example of this is on the Cleric Mission. Since the Cleric cannot pick a lock, the cleric will try to bash through the door, however there is a trap set, and a flame blasts through the door, right as the door is about to be broken, and splinters are blasted into the cleric, critically wounding or killing the cleric. So for all you D&D lovers, realism is what this game is all about. So, if you can find a way to achieve the goals without killing, you'll still get the same rewards that the more killing-oriented players will get. Strategy will be key for people who wish to solo as apposed to grouping. Also, instead of having to run back and forth between what instances/dungeons you wish to complete, there is a teleporter that will transfer you from one to one, as you complete them.

One of the most dynamic and intersting part of this game, is the quest/skill missions. Your party doesn't gain experience or treasure from killing ordinary enemies. D&D Online went way of course of the basic grinding exp to level. Instead, the experience and loot rewards are predicated on your ability to accomplish the tasks, which can be drivin of course very easily. For instance, a cleric entering a forest-like quest zone, where she was required to scout and locate the entrance to the Shrine of the Stormbringer. Along the path, her listen skill allowed her to overhear the footsteps of a giant somewhere ahead of her, which added a subquest to her quest log and commanded her to kill the giant and his wolf companions. Since combat does give more experiece than avoidence, players will get more XP for killing the giant, as apposed to reporting it to the quest bearer. Another, more rewarding part of this game, is the loot system. During a group/raid if players come accross a chest or a container, instead of hastling over people grabbing the item and running from the group, or arguements over who gets the loot, every person in the group will be able to take turns and loot the same thing, until every person has looted the container.

Turbine stated that its goal in designing many of the dungeons was to allow there to be multiple ways to solve problems, rather than forcing you to power your way through enemy after enemy.

Quote from a Developer at E3, "We're pleased to say that combat itself looks quite enjoyable. Our intrepid cleric took on a number of different foes, including the aforementioned giant, a room full of skeletons and other undead foes, and an Eberron-specific Drider variant that featured the upper torso of a Drow wed to the body of a scorpion, rather than the usual spider. Combat tactics will vary based on the composition of your party, your skill at avoiding attacks (yes, you can dodge some projectile attacks in real time), and, in an intriguing twist, environmental factors. We were shown a couple of ways in which the environment can help you avoid or overcome encounters that would otherwise prove quite difficult. In the first encounter, the cleric entered a room overflowing with undead foes that, despite her innate anti-undead abilities, would likely overpower her in combat. Luckily for her, there was a defiled altar in the middle of the room, and a hallowing spell cast upon it managed to eliminate the taint of evil from the room, instantly banishing all of the undead. In another part of the same dungeon, she managed to overlook a room that was also full of enemies, far too many for her to handle alone. Breaking through a door to another adjacent room, though, she managed to activate a trap after interacting with a Pipe Dreams-esque light-based puzzle on the floor, which spawned a number of moving spikes in the room, killing all of the enemies within."

As with most games, the WASD keyboard will be used to play this game. And with most RPG's quick bars will be used with F Keys, and the number pad. A Z-Board Template will be available.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Gameplay Video - HERE

Interview - HERE

Main Site - HERE

Conclusion

GameSpot - "It's also shaping up to be one of the most visually impressive online role-playing games seen yet"

GameSpot - "Our impression of Dungeons & Dragons Online from our brief sit-down with the game is quite positive."

IGN - Q&A w/ Lead Developer

GameBanshee - "there is still a lot of time for Dungeons & Dragons Online to change directions. So far they seem to be taking a unique but seemingly promising course in developing their MMO"

Buisness Week.com - " If you're a fan of D&D, you'll definitely want to give this one a test run when it releases this November. However, if you're not hardcore into the D&D realm, but enjoy a solid MMORPG, D&D Online could be right up your alley, as many of the current fantasy games borrow heavily from D&D."

MMORPG.com - "So far, Dungeons & Dragons Online seems to have conquered the seemingly impossible task of translating the world’s most beloved tabletop RPG into a massively multi-player online game."

GameSpy - "Despite the magnitude of the MMO glut we're currently experiencing, D&D Online sounds like it's going to provide an experience unlike anything that's currently out there."

Last edited by WNxIcee; 08-04-2005 at 11:58 PM..
Elitist

Warrior Nation

WNxZiggurat
08-04-2005, 02:17 AM
Unregistered
#
I'm soooooooooooooooooooooo wanting this game. I saw the gameplay video a couple weeks ago, and have fallen in love with it. I've always loved playing dd games as well as forgotten realms(dd sub you could say).

One of the things in the gameplay video that caught my attention most was the developer saying that the game will be very adventure heavy, relying on quest completion to fuel your xp gain. Monsters should provide no xp whatsoever.

Thas what I remember hearing from the video. Something like that has never been seen in an rpg, let alone an MMORPG before. I'm seriously falling in the love with this game.

Last edited by WNxZiggurat; 08-04-2005 at 02:20 AM..

Warrior Nation

WNxIsak
08-04-2005, 02:20 AM
Unregistered
#
Wow... This looks amazing. Very nice review. *Tries to wait patiently for game too come out, unsuccessfully at that*

Warrior Nation

WNxPaladin
08-04-2005, 03:57 AM
Unregistered
#
This seem to be a very interesting game, I am following this game progress for 6 months now, and i really want to play it, nice preview mate, you might have a slight chance to bring this game into WN once he will be out

Warrior Nation

WNxThorivola
08-04-2005, 08:37 AM
Unregistered
#
looks much better than the last stuff I saw on it O.O
GFX are nice, a lot like Neverwinter Nights but more colorful!
when NWN 2 comes out, and if it looks better (or even that good) than that I will be happy

I'll check it out, looks nice!

Warrior Nation

WNxShaggy
08-04-2005, 09:11 AM
Unregistered
#
kiss CoH buh bye when this beautiful work of art and game play hits the stores...

Warrior Nation

Puerto Rico WNxRune
08-04-2005, 09:43 AM
WoW Characters
Prince of Madness
Oh this game must be great, being into D&D myself.

Better make a section in our guild for this one man, cause im definitely gonna try it out!

Is there any word that its a P2P?
Oh man, if its one, i'll pay for it as long as they get game cards out... and they better!

Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind. -Edward D. Morrison

Warrior Nation

United States WNxIcee
08-04-2005, 03:25 PM
Official Guest
«¤« »¤»
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxZiggurat
One of the things in the gameplay video that caught my attention most was the developer saying that the game will be very adventure heavy, relying on quest completion to fuel your xp gain. Monsters should provide no xp whatsoever.
You do get XP for killing mobs. But you do not get as much XP as doing quests, adventuring, and finding new things. However, if you do a mission, you get the same amount of XP if you finish it without killing anyone, and if you kill every mob in the zone.

It is double sided...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxRune
Oh this game must be great, being into D&D myself.

Better make a section in our guild for this one man, cause im definitely gonna try it out!

Is there any word that its a P2P?
Oh man, if its one, i'll pay for it as long as they get game cards out... and they better!

Yes it is P2P, I am assuming it will be the going rate of 12.95 Per Month, but it could very well be lower who knows. They have not released the pricing, only that it will defintly be P2P.

Elitist

Warrior Nation

WNxDeathseeker
08-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Unregistered
#
Your video link requires you to be an IGN insider...

And a link to the games main site would be helpful as well...

Warrior Nation

United States WNxIcee
08-04-2005, 11:57 PM
Official Guest
«¤« »¤»
Added

Elitist

Warrior Nation

WNxLordGene
08-05-2005, 06:13 AM
Unregistered
Not bad game. Will give this a try when it comes out

Warrior Nation

WNxPh0eniX
08-05-2005, 07:49 AM
Unregistered
NICE ! looks brill i will defo be getting this game

Warrior Nation

WNxK-Mart Security
08-06-2005, 02:41 AM
Unregistered
Icee, I will have to add one thing. Turbine stated (I can't find it right now) That the ESRB rating WILL be TEEN. They are making the game around that (not literally, but you get what I mean) They aren't making it cuss that much and they said the MOST likely it will be rated Teen for 'Mild Language, Violence, Blood' and those are the only ones i can remember right now. Just thought it'd be nice to add .

Warrior Nation

WNxBrearel
08-06-2005, 08:32 AM
Unregistered
looks pretty good i might open beta test to check this game out

Warrior Nation

WNxDouble
08-06-2005, 11:21 PM
Unregistered
Nice review mate!
I'll prob give it a whirl and check it out.

Warrior Nation

WNxMental
08-10-2005, 03:52 PM
Unregistered
wow dude,this game looks AMAZING,i cant wait

Closed Thread