Thread: The Ikariam beginner's guide
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None

Warrior Nation
Secondary: Ikariam.org

Denmark WNxDadzilla
04-03-2011, 08:15 AM
Local Time: 07:47 PM
Honorable Discharge
Moons given: 5
The Ikariam beginner's guide
The Ikariam beginnerís guide

By WnxDadzilla

This guide represents my personal view on how to play the game. You will soon find out that there are as many opinions on how best to play Ikariam as there are players playing the game.

You can find other guides and lots of fine info on this site: http://ikariam.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Getting started
To find us and play along with the other section members you need to start out on the right server. We play on Ikariam.org, and we have our alliance on the Gamma server, where we are well established after having played there for years. Some of us also have accounts on newer servers, but we have no WN alliance on those, as it turned out not to be worth the effort. Most of us preferred just playing on Gamma.

If you want to be sure to end up close to other members of WN, you can ask us for an invitation link. If you go the randomised way and just start out where the game puts you, and you end up in an empty corner of the map, thereís always the possibility to make another try. Note however that you are not allowed to use more than one account per server.

Once youíre in, I recommend doing the tutorial. It doesnít tell much, but you get some free stuff. I must admit that I didnít bother attacking the barbarian village more than once or twice. It is supposed to give you a feel of the battle system, but I find it much more fun to attack other players and learn that way.

Game rules
GameForge is known for a very strict enforcement of their game rules. So I strongly suggest that you read them at once and make yourself acquainted with them: http://en.ikariam.com/ajax/main/rules?printVersion

Especially the bashing rule is often misunderstood. It tells you to max attack any town 6 times within any 24 hours, unless youíre at war with the town ownerís alliance. First of all you can attack the same player more than 6 times a day, only not the same town. And all players are covered by this rule, also banned or inactive players. You donít need to be reported to be banned for bashing; there is an automated record of the attacks.
Note also that any attack that creates a combat report counts against the bashing rule. So sea battles count too. But a failed attack where you lose all your units doesnít count. Finally ďwithin any 24 hoursĒ doesnít mean that next day you can just carry on attacking with no worries. If you have attacked 6 times within the last 24 hours, another attack will get you banned.

What to build?
You will soon find out that there isnít enough room in your town to build all the buildings you would like to have. So one of the first big questions arises: What should I build? It is important to optimise your growth that you have decided on this instead of just making random choices along the way.

There are two kinds of buildings, the ďmust havesĒ and the optional buildings. The ďmust havesĒ in every town (beside the town hall) are the following: warehouse, palace/governorís residence, tavern, museum and academy. Finally you need a workshop too, but only one. Same with the embassy, sort of, but Iíll explain that.

Warehouses and dumps
This is one of the major discussions, when it comes to buildings. Personally I recommend starting out with one warehouse. Later on, when you have researched bureaucracy, you should build a second warehouse on the spot where you couldnít build in the beginning. Late in the game, when you have 9 towns already, it makes sense to build a dump, which is a large ďwarehouseĒ with no protection of the resources.
If you want to spend money on playing this game, there is also the option to stick to one warehouse and one dump, and buy ambrosia to obtain double storage capacity in that particular week where you plan to upgrade your most expensive buildings.
The option with two dumps would be very expensive in particularly sulphur to build, and you would have no protection against a pillager, who could take 100% of your resources. If he gets past your wall and military of course.
Finally some players build several warehouses at low level in the beginning and tear some of them down later. I think thatís a waste of time and resources, but it can be done that way too.

Palace/Governorís residence
These buildings enable you to make new colonies. You need one in each town, and you need to upgrade them all before you make the next colony. So if for instance you want to make your fifth town, you need to have these buildings at level 4.
These are the most expensive buildings in the game, and the reason why you need so much storage room for the resources. Notably they use a lot of wood to be built, so the needed amount of wood for the next upgrade tells you how much storage you need.
Should you later in the game occupy a town belonging to another player, you can cancel the occupation in your palace.

Tavern and museum
These buildings are both necessary to maintain happiness in your towns. If you run low on wine, the serving of wine in your tavern will eventually cease, and the citizens will become very angry, demonstrate at your town hall and leave your town at an alarming rate, crippling your capacity for gold income, production and military strength. So keep a close eye on your wine!

Museums lower the needed wine consumption. You make cultural treaties with other players, the so-called CTís, and receive cultural artefacts to show to the public and increase their happiness. Note that if you attack a player with whom you have such a treaty, your citizens will be unhappy. A CT can be cancelled, but it takes three days to do it.
You can move the artefacts from one town to another. In this way you can fine-tune the happiness in your towns to reach the wanted level of happiness in each town, which determines the growth rate for the population. If however you fill all your museums, you lose this flexibility.

Academy
This is where you do your research, which is the key to unlocking many features and units. This means that an upgraded academy in every town is a must in the early stages of the game.
Once youíve researched everything except the futures, you should decide if you want to continue down this path, or you would rather use that building spot for something else in some or even most of your towns.
Personally I tore down all my academies except the one in my crystal town after researching the economic future level 1. This means I can still research new things GameForge introduces, and I can still convert crystal to research points by doing experiments. I should mention however that I know some of our members rely heavily on research and strengthen their account that way. Again: it all comes down to your playing style.

Workshop
Donít confuse the workshop with the carpenterís workshop; it is a whole other story. In the workshop you upgrade your units, including ships. For this you spend lots of gold and crystal, which is why the smartest choice is to build the workshop in your crystal town. And importantly: only there. You only need one of these, as the upgrades count everywhere, not just in that town.
All upgrades can be done in a level 24 workshop, so there is no reason to go higher than that level.

After youíve finished all upgrades, I recommend tearing down the workshop and using the spot for something else. The upgrades do not disappear by doing this, and you have no further use of the building.
The only problem would arise the day GF introduces a new unit, and they say they have plans to do so again at some point. In this case I would just build a new workshop in my least developed town, upgrade it to the needed level and tear it down again once the job was done.
Last time they introduced a new unit, it was the spearman, and it would have been quite easy to solve doing the upgrades this way.
I would recommend upgrading all units fully, even if youíre in doubt if youíll ever use certain of them. In my opinion there is only one useless unit in the game, which is the slinger, and it doesnít cost you much to fully upgrade those too.

Embassy
To join our alliance you need to build an embassy, meaning this building will probably take up space in your first town, which can be somewhat annoying, if you had other plans in that particular town. However, as you only need to have it at level 1, at least in the beginning of the game, it is cheap to build another embassy in another town and then tear down the old one. In fact I did this a couple of times on Gamma, and I plan on doing it on Pi too. The order of doing it is important, as you will lose your alliance membership if you donít have an embassy at any given time.

Later in the game you may want to upgrade your embassy to gain diplomacy points. They are needed to make for instance trade treaties, or to obtain garrison rights outside our alliance. If youíre the leader of the alliance, or you plan to get that position, you will need more than one embassy, as this demands a lot of diplomacy points. The larger the alliance, the more points are needed.

The optional buildings
These are (of course) the rest. But some are in my opinion very important to have, and others are less important or even a waste of space and resources. I will start out with the most important ones and move down the list.

Trading port and shipyard
These arenít really optional, but a couple of patches ago the players got the choice to build two trading ports in a town instead of one and a shipyard. This choice depends heavily on your playing style. If you trade a lot, it could make sense to increase your loading speed in your main trading harbour(s) and choose to build your war ships elsewhere.
Personally I prefer having a shipyard in each town. This gives you better flexibility when you want to build war ships where they are needed, plus it increases your overall capacity to build many war ships as fast as possible.
Worth knowing: you can have war ships in your harbour even though you havenít built a trading port (or shipyard) yet, and you can also load goods and move them away from the island, only the loading speed would be very low.

Barracks
In my opinion the barracks are a must in every town, but if youíre really peaceful and convinced you wonít get involved in any fighting, you can choose to skip this building in some of your towns. It would mean less flexibility again, and a lower overall capacity to build troops, artillery and air units in times of need. Personally I would go crazy if I had to postpone a pillage from a town because I had to build the necessary troops elsewhere and wait for them to be transported over.

Donít forget that you may have a peaceful view on this game, but you canít always decide whether you get mixed up in some kind of hostilities. In fact some players only play this game to wage war, and they only see building and increasing their points as means to reach a certain level of military capacity.

Town wall
Again a must have in my opinion, and since you canít use that spot to build anything else, it would be silly to miss out on this way to strengthen your defenses. With no wall, a town can be pillaged or occupied by just one spearman, if there are no troops in it. A high level wall enables you to make it much harder to overrun your town. For this you also need a fair amount of troops in a good mix, but Iíll get back to the composition of an army later.
Most players try to maintain a wall at the same level as the town hall, and I do the same, well knowing that any wall can be breached, and any town can be conquered.

Hideout
Another very important building. I would recommend having this in every town. It makes it harder to spy on you, which means that attacks become less probable. Plus if you pillage or wage war, you need to send out lots of spies to check out the buildings, content of warehouses, plus the troops and war ships of your target.
It has recently become easier to spy on inactives compared to active players, meaning that having a high level hideout filled or almost filled with spies and being active is still a good defense against being spied on, even after they introduced the decoys.

The exact number of spies that you need to send out varies, but typical numbers would be from 3 to 8 plus the needed decoys to help them enter the town as safely as possible. Play around with the combinations of spies and decoys, and you will soon find the best way for you to work this instrument. Note that if you spy a lot, it will cost you quite a lot of gold, plus the crystal to remake the spies who were caught, and the wine and sulphur that you might use for the decoys.

Like in the older versions you should also be aware of the ďresidual riskĒ (extra risk) that will remain for a short while after completing a mission. I do however believe that they have removed this for one particular mission, namely the withdrawal of spies. This is only based on my own experience and not something Iíve read anywhere.

Carpenter
This is a building some see as a must in every town, and I lean towards saying the same, while others choose resource boosting buildings over it. The main problem by not having it, as I see it, is that you need a lot more wood to upgrade your govís, meaning you also need much more storage room. At itís max it saves you 32% of the wood needed to build, and not only buildings, but also land units and war ships. This might also make it easier for you to donate more wood to the resources of your islands, and donations enhance the production and give you a better reputation among the other players. Note that the discount by having a reducer like the carpenter only works in the town, where it is built.

Luxury resource boosters
These buildings enhance your production in that particular town. They have different names Ė and looks Ė according to the resource produced on that island, but I can recommend having them all. They give 2% extra for every level, meaning in theory a possible bonus of 64%. They do however become very expensive after the first about 20 levels. But itís an investment that pays off.

These buildings are called stonemason, winery, glassblower and alchemistís tower.

Foresterís house
The forester is the wood production booster and also a very good building to have. But since you can produce wood on all islands, it is possible to make do without it. However it can make it possible to have a good surplus of wood for donations to the islands Ė or gifts to new players. Not to forget the insane demand for wood for the gov upgrades.

Trading post
This building is also kind of a must, but in my opinion not in every town. This is the building that enables you to trade resources for gold, both buying and selling. Personally and as a pirate I havenít used mine to buy anything yet, but I have two of these to be able to sell surplus loot. If youíre a more trade/build oriented player, you will probably want more trading posts to lower the need to move goods from one island to another. This might also depend on your decision to spend ambrosia aka real money on this game, as you can use ambrosia to change one resource into another, as far as Iíve heard. I donít use ambrosia myself, so someone else will have to guide there.

Architectís office
This building is on the edge, meaning one that you will probably not be able to find room for in your towns. It is however a very good building to have, as it reduces the need for marble by up to 32%, and I have been very happy to use it in about half of my towns. Late in the game this building is a probable candidate for removal, when the time comes to make room for more storage space. But until then it can make the upgrading of particularly your town halls and museums much easier.

The other reducing buildings used for wine, crystal and sulphur I wonít recommend using, unless youíre extremely preoccupied with either research or wars. But again, this is a very debated subject.

Temple
This is at the bottom of my list, and the reason is that I donít see much use in spending room for it. Each island has itís own special wonder, one out of eight possible ones, and some of them can be very useful under certain circumstances. It will however have cost you a lot to get to the point of actually reaping the benefits. At best I would recommend postponing this feature till late in the game, maybe when youíve reached the number of towns that you will aim for Ė ten or maybe eleven Ė at which point your need for storage will be lower again.

When should I build it?
This is almost as big a question as what to build. In the very beginning I would recommend not to fill your town hall too fast with citizens Ė but still rather fast. If you give yourself a day or two between the town hall upgrades, you gain the time to build and upgrade the other buildings, and they all contribute to making your account stronger.

Both in the early stages and later on Iíve found it to be a very good guideline to build or upgrade the building that is cheaper to build, all resources put together. It is only meant as a guideline, not a rule. Of course if possible you should upgrade your town hall when itís full and if you try to keep up with the town wall levels compared to the town hall, you will need to make it a priority at times, as the walls are rather expensive.

It also depends on the circumstances. If you play on a fairly new server, you will probably experience many more attacks than on an older server. And if you canít afford a strong army yet, or havenít done the necessary researches for it, you might be better off upgrading your warehouses some more instead of the walls. Walls canít stop the attacks. They need to be combined with troops to be really useful. On Pi Iíve used the guideline I mentioned, only I compare the overall resources needed for other buildings with the wood needed for the warehouse. But find your own style, mine is a little bit nerdy.

Luxury resources and the choice of islands
Some players make new accounts until they get a capital on a marble island. It is true that marble is the most needed resource when building your empire, but since we help each other out and new players can always ask for resources from the larger players, the problem isnít too big, never mind which resource your first island produces. It is more important where you end up on the map. If it is far away from everyone else in the alliance, you might want to consider making a new account. Or build your first colony close to other WN players, make that colony your capital and abandon the first town. It costs a bit in resources and time, but can be done without using ambrosia.

One of the most asked questions in this game is ďwhich kind of island should I go to next?Ē To give you an idea of the priority of the resources, I can tell that out of my own 9 towns I have 4 marble, 3 wine, one crystal and one sulphur. Once your consumption of wine exceeds your max wine production, it is time to get another wine colony. It should be said here that wine may be the easiest resource to get your hands on by pillaging, but in ďdryĒ times or times of war it is a good thing to be able to produce the wine you need.

Some players aim for 2 sulphur towns, as this makes it easier to build armies and fleets, others aim for 2 crystal towns because they put much emphasis on research. Personally I think one of each is fine. But this also depends on another very important thing when choosing where to put up your colonies: the production level of the saw mill and of the local luxury good.

On a new server you have to raise the production of your islands by donating, but on older servers like Gamma it is important to find islands with 20+ levels of production. For instance a marble island with a quarry level 23 and a saw mill level 26 is an ok position, if it is not too far away from your other towns. If the saw mill is level 30+, it is even better. But you should still donate some wood to the islands youíre on and help out that way.

When choosing where to colonize you should be careful and try to avoid choosing islands, where there are towns owned by known troublemakers or alliances presently involved in heavy fighting. When looking for good islands you should consult your trainer if you have one, or another experienced player.

Finally there is the big question of distance between towns. If you make more than one town on the same island, this gives the advantage that donations to the island help both/all towns. Plus you can move troops or resources very fast between those towns. On the other hand it narrows down your playing field if you pillage or trade a lot, and in times of conflict it is easier to pin you down.

Normally I tell people that the choice of distance between your islands should depend on your playing style. If youíre a builder first of all, keep your towns close together to minimize travelling times. If you pillage a lot, you gain access to many more targets by spreading out a bit, or by making two clusters of towns. I would however not recommend travelling times exceeding 3-4 hours, as this makes the exchange of resources or units between the towns too slow.

Other tips when making a colony
You can speed up the first stages a little bit by sending more resources along with the 1500 wood needed to colonize at all. Note two things here: as you donít have any warehouse yet, the town canít hold more than 1500 of each resource, and of the 1500 wood the game uses 1250 to make the colony and the town hall in it. Ergo there is room to send 1250 wood on top of the 1500, and 1500 of the other resources. I use to send 2750 wood and 500 of each of the other resources. If you build a warehouse right away, before you build the governorís mansion, most of the resources are protected.
When you get past the first couple of colonies, you will find a need to upgrade your warehouse or warehouses some levels to hold the necessary resources for the upgrades of the gov. Donít forget to upgrade the carpenter too, as this lowers the demand for wood. That is, if you take my advice and use carpenters.

Which researches to do first?
Again a good guideline is to choose the cheapest in research points. The closest you get to a ďtech treeĒ in this game is the library. You can choose it when clicking the research advisor. It pays off to look around there before ordering the next research. You might want to make it a priority to make your scientists use less gold, hence going for the research called Letter chute. And after this getting to unlock Bureaucracy and with it the precious extra building slot could be a good way to go. Again this depends on the situation. If youíre involved in a lot of fighting, maybe certain units should be a priority. Just remember that to use those units you also need to have an economy going to support the upkeep.
For the research choices in the very beginning I personally used the beginnerís guide on Wiki, and since that worked fine, I donít need to repeat it here.

How do I get points?
Your total score consists of the sum of your overall number of citizens plus the scores called Master Builder, Scientists and Generals. Thatís all. This means that if you aim for a large total score, building and in particular upgrading your town halls weigh the most. Researches weigh a bit less, but still contribute notably. The military score is the least important in this connection. Note here that a ďgeneralĒ isnít a unit in the game. Itís just what GameForge chose to name the points for your military units.
The total score of a player gives a rough idea about his or her potential strength, should it come to battle. But only a very rough idea. You may come across players with only a couple of hundred points, who are extremely knowledgeable about the battle system and tricks you can use. And you may encounter players with a million points or more, who donít know the first thing about fighting or even how to defend yourself.
Still, the total score is the measure that has been put up in this game, telling all of us who has success playing it and who donít. Just remember to take that measure with a grain of salt.

Gold
How to make gold and what gold is good for are other questions often posed by beginners in this game. First of all: it is not possible to pillage gold. The possibility existed in an early version of the game, but not anymore.
There are now basically two ways to earn gold. You should keep a balance and not send too many of your workers off to work in the saw mill or the mines, because when they are not working, they make gold. A kind of inverted economy that you shouldnít tell about to any politicians. They would only get confused. So unemployment is the first way.

The second way to earn gold is to sell surplus resources through your trading post.

I would recommend keeping a positive gold income at all times, which can and should be checked by clicking your gold top left on the screen, giving you access to your balance sheet. Especially if you move fleet or troops or use these for attacks you should observe this closely because of the double upkeep when units are out of your towns. If your gold stock reaches zero, your troops will abandon you.

Gold is very important, as you buy cargo ships for gold, and these become very expensive once you go near the maximum number, which currently is 180, plus the cargos you gain access to through the friend list system, if youíve invited those friends to the game.
As mentioned, gold is also what pays for having a military. This is the reason why players who are at war often go into ďwar modeĒ, where they turn off most of their production to earn more gold.
Finally having scientists also costs gold, and making new colonies costs gold - 9000 per colony.

Friend spots
The friend spots were made so that GF could get more money, but after a short while they became more useful to everyone. Now you receive research points every time a friend on your list finishes a research, and gold for every new colony made by friends. Itís not much, but it helps, so you might as well fill the list. This is also a way to see whoís online faster than by checking the diplo advisor or embassy. And you can use it to coordinate with friends outside of the alliance.

Personally I prefer helping out other clan members this way.

How to keep your citizens happy
This has already been mentioned under the buildings, but since I expect this guide to be read in the skimming way, here goes: There are two ways to keep your citizens happy, serving wine to them in the tavern and showing them cultural artefacts in the museum. I donít know if this tells us something about the class background for the creators of the game, but thatís it. No food, no sex, no lions eating barbarians in an arena, no sports, no games! Just wine and art exhibitions.

Donations
Also already mentioned, donating wood to the islandís resources is how you enhance the capacity of production. This is very important for your success in this game, which is why many players pay close attention to the donations from the other players on their islands. If you donate nothing or close to nothing, you may become subject to attacks because the other players see you as a leech.

Of course it is too much to ask for, if totally new players are expected to donate substantial amounts of wood. Some players tend to make such unreasonable demands. In situations like these it really pays off to be a member of an alliance like ours, where we defend each other against attacks. Often diplomacy can solve such problems, but if not, there are other and more violent ways to teach other players to behave.

How to avoid being attacked
Especially on new servers you will experience a lot of attacks, some of them random and without any justification. But if you allow your account to go inactive sometimes, this is a very good reason for people to attack. I would even say that it would be deserved. Another major reason for understandable attacks can be piling up resources in undefended or almost undefended towns.

This tells us what? To stay active! Logging in once a week doesnít do it. In fact the best way to avoid attacks or make them useless is to keep the resources in your towns below the safety limits of your warehouses. This can be accomplished by upgrading buildings as soon as you have the resources for it, by moving resources between towns to make full use of your warehouses, and not least by upgrading those warehouses a lot.

On top of this you can keep out total noobs by upgrading your walls enough to give their rams problems, and by keeping at least one war ship in each harbour, so their attacks from other islands will bounce if they donít kill off the ship(s) defending your town first.

Against players with more powerful armies this will not be enough. You will need a decent army behind a decent wall to defeat them. But even if the neighbourhood bully has steam giants, a well-composed army of other troops can put up a good fight. I would recommend a combination of hoplites, swordsmen, gunners, catapults and cooks for this. Maybe you will say ďBut I donít have all those units yet!Ē Then youíre not ready to build a defending army yet, would be my answer.

How many of each unit? You should have enough frontline units aka hoplites in this case to fill the whole frontline, also after a round or two with casualties. How many are needed depends on the level of the town youíre in. There is a list of this on the board, but I plan on making a pillaging guide too, to be placed as a sticky thread in the Warrior Hall. There I will explain the different layouts of the battlefield depending on town size. For now: build 240-270 hoplites, 49 gunners, 120 swordsmen and 15 cooks, plus at least 18 catapults, or ask me for more precise numbers. The mentioned numbers are only enough for towns at level 16 or lower. Again: if your economy isnít ready for an army that size, donít make it! Ask for help from larger members instead.

Another very important way to keep pillagers and other attackers away is to have a high level hideout filled with spies in each of your towns. As long as youíre active, this makes it much more difficult for them to plan a successful attack. Plus there is a good chance that you will catch some of those spies, and often they will tell you details about the attackerís town, that he wouldnít want you to know about.

How much army should I make?
Beside the defending army that Iíve just mentioned, of which you should have only one, or it would ruin your gold income, it might be a good idea to have just one spearman in each town. This ensures that any attacker has to live with the battle going over two rounds instead of one. Combined with the ďone ship in each harbourĒ trick, this might make possible attackers think twice.

If however youíre a pillager, I would recommend having a small pillaging army in each town, making it much faster to attack an easy target from the nearest town. Iím thinking 6 rams, 6 catapults and 10 hoplites for instance. If your towns are close together, you could probably cope without such extra armies though. Again it depends on the other choices you make.

In the upcoming pillaging guide I will give a more thorough description of which units are good for which attacks. The main thing is the general rule: build your army according to what you plan to use it for. Donít just build a bit of everything, as this will often be good for nothing except draining your gold.

Is this a war game?
Waging war is possible in this game, so in that sense the answer is yes. But it is also possible to play the game for years without ever attacking anyone. My personal opinion is that you should learn to master all aspects of the game. And to get to know the battle system by pillaging inactives shouldnít provoke anyone to declare war.

Wars can be interesting and thrilling, but often they scare many players away from the game or at least from the server. Plus you cripple your growth by waging war for a long time. So in that sense Ikariam is not a war game, but just a strategy game that includes the risk of war.

It has been said that to prevent war you should prepare for it. Iím not too sure of the wisdom of this in real life, but in this game I think there is much sense in doing so. This means that you should have this aspect in mind when deciding how to build your towns, your military and your experience.

What else?
Now itís up to you to tell me what I missed in this guide. Letís have some good discussions on the advice Iíve given here. One last advice? Have fun!

Last edited by WNxDadzilla; 05-31-2013 at 11:44 AM..

Warrior Nation

WNxJedo
04-08-2011, 10:59 AM
Unregistered
#
Thanks for the wonderful read.

I found it a lot easier than sifting through page after page on the wiki.

+rep

Primary: Ikariam.org
Warrior Nation
Secondary: Clash of Clans

United States WNxDG72
04-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Local Time: 12:47 PM
Awesome job on this, Zilla!

"
Experience teaches us that it is much easier to prevent an enemy from posting themselves than it is to dislodge them after they have got possession." - General George Washington

Warrior Nation
Secondary: Diablo 3

Russian Federation WNxKrakie
05-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Local Time: 08:47 PM
Justice
Follow the law!
It helped me, thank you mate +rep

My Warrior Nation history
http://warriornation.net/Forum/signaturepics/sigpic43894_23.gif
Part 1, Part 2

Warrior Nation

Denmark WNxDadzilla
05-23-2011, 05:19 AM
Honorable Discharge
With our recent experience in mind, I have to revise my advices on what to build and when to build it. I've come to realize that the temple can be an important building too, optional, but still. And when you choose where to colonize, u should also have certain miracles in mind.

Hephaisto's Forge in particular is a very useful miracle, even for players who haven't reached their full capacity in towns and economy. But I would still remind you that it costs quite a lot to have it ready at all times, since 1/6 of the population in that town needs to become priests to reach the necessary faith % to activate the miracle at full strength.

The forge gives a good bonus both defensively and offensively to all your units anywhere on the map for 24 hours. Cooldown is 7 days. As we have learned by now, the right use of the forge can be very decisive to the outcome of large battles.

Other very useful miracles: The Colossus, where you can scare away attacking forces from all your towns. Some players like to use this at 80%, so that they get to kill the units left behind after the others fled. And the Poseidon miracle, that greatly increases the speed of both cargos and war ships for a limited period of time. Note here that this higher speed covers the whole trip, even if the effect of the miracle has expired after sending off the ships.

Warrior Nation

WNxShocker
07-07-2011, 09:06 PM
Unregistered
#
It helped me Thanks!

Warrior Nation

WNxDyingBreed
10-23-2011, 02:46 PM
Unregistered
#
thank you this guide has helped me found a new colony

Warrior Nation

Denmark WNxDadzilla
01-05-2012, 05:31 AM
Honorable Discharge
One more correction to this: After the new war ships we need a workshop at lvl 28 to upgrade everything. So I'm seriously thinking of keeping it now. They might throw in some new land units too at some point. And with the upcoming two new building spots the pressure on the spots will diminish.

Warrior Nation

United States WNxImmortaLKnight
03-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Local Time: 12:47 PM
So when's this pillaging guide coming out oh great trainer?

Warrior Nation

Denmark WNxDadzilla
03-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Honorable Discharge
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxImmortaLKnight View Post
So when's this pillaging guide coming out oh great trainer?
I have changed my plans to making a pirate school in the Warrior Hall instead. Just waiting till my Honor Guards can find time to relieve me of my former duties, then I'll be on it. Just follow the roar of the crowd^^

Warrior Nation

Denmark WNxDadzilla
05-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Honorable Discharge
To log in on the mobile version of the game on your PC, follow La Callista's method posted on the board:

Quote:
Try this one as a direct login:

Source code

http://m1.en.ikariam.com/index.php?a...assword=ABCDEF

m1 - the number has to be replaced by your server's number: e.g.: 1 means Alpha, 2 Beta and 14 Xi
UVWXYZ has to be replaced by your Account Name and
ABCDEF has to be replaced by your password

so you will directly login to the mobile version of ikariam.

You can also use a script for it, which allows you to check a box at the login page if you want to login to the mobile version or not. Just search for "Ikariam Switch Login Type" at www.userscripts.org

A third possibility is to use the "Default User Agent" which is available as a Firefox Add-On and allows you to pretend that your browser is an iPhone.
That way you get the two new building spots, but not all the crappy sides of the new look.

Edit: lool! They have deleted all evidence of this trick on the board. Someone takes criticism really badly^^

And yes, for Gamma, put in "m3" instead of "m1".

Edit: Be aware that some choices are not available in the mobile version, for instance piracy. And in my experience you risk losing a lot of resources if you switch back and forth between the versions. That is if you order an upgrade of a fortress and switch over before it is completed. Then the upgrade is forgotten and the used resources lost...

Last edited by WNxDadzilla; 01-10-2013 at 04:00 PM..

Warrior Nation

Portugal WNxFuse
06-01-2012, 11:26 AM
Local Time: 11:47 AM
Coffee Lover!
Very good read Zilla, I can imagine the time you put in doing this. May I suggest the combo of Workshop with Optician (on a crystal island)? It worked wonders for me.

And when can I start taking those piracy classes?

Warrior Nation

Denmark WNxDadzilla
06-01-2012, 01:09 PM
Honorable Discharge
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxFuse View Post
Very good read Zilla, I can imagine the time you put in doing this. May I suggest the combo of Workshop with Optician (on a crystal island)? It worked wonders for me.

And when can I start taking those piracy classes?
The workshop plus optician idea is good. In fact an optician in a crystal town may be better than most other buildings. I plan to get one in mine too, but only after I reach my 11th town and can tear down my dump.

The piracy classes, well, I must admit I spend a lot of time on D3 atm, and I'd like to have a full and fully working officer team before I feel comfortable putting the necessary time into the pirate school.

Warrior Nation

Germany WNxpixz
06-01-2012, 03:22 PM
Battle Ops
'PRS 513'
In the meantime if anybody wants some help regarding the battlesystem, let me know

And yes optician is awesome in crystal town.

Warrior Nation

WNxRaya
11-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Unregistered
Thank you for this amazing informations.
:-)

Warrior Nation

Denmark WNxDadzilla
05-31-2013, 11:46 AM
Honorable Discharge
Due to recent events I have highlighted my advice to make yourself acquainted with the game rules.

The bashing rule is no longer in use though.

Warrior Nation

Denmark WNxDadzilla
12-02-2014, 03:07 AM
Honorable Discharge
I think that if I started a new account, I might go with 4 warehouses and a dump in all towns. In the end game this would mean having the warehouse capacity to get 12 towns without using ambrosia, and on the way there it would give a lot of resources, if you get piracy prizes
This strategy would however put a strain on what else you can build, like temples and sea chart archives, but it is worth considering, me thinks.

Warrior Nation

Brazil WNxBlaezej
02-19-2015, 10:49 AM
Local Time: 02:47 PM
BlŲdhgarm
Hey there. Just thought I'd let you guys know that on the original post, you made a mistake. It's still saying you guys are on Server Gamma, instead of Server Beta... or is it the other way around?

I was taking a look at the game and came here and got confused, because on the sectino banner, it says "Server: Beta".

Back then, it used to be like this.

Primary: Ikariam.org
Warrior Nation

United Nations WNxIsobelle
02-19-2015, 12:10 PM
Yes, it's Beta now.

Warrior Nation
Secondary: Diablo 3

Russian Federation WNxKrakie
02-19-2015, 06:27 PM
Local Time: 08:47 PM
Justice
Follow the law!
Maybe it might be a good idea to use some Expand tags to shorten the material and make it more informative in case of making it easier for people to find an exact information?

My Warrior Nation history
http://warriornation.net/Forum/signaturepics/sigpic43894_23.gif
Part 1, Part 2