Thread: The craze about amiibo!
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None

Warrior Nation

United States WNxJNG
07-15-2015, 07:45 PM
Local Time: 04:52 AM
CJ News
The craze about amiibo!
Click the image to open in full size.

A lot of people in Warrior Nation do not know what an amiibo is, so I am here to show you, that way you can learn more about it and you're aware of its characteristics. If you're a collector like me, you'll probably end up buying them all to spice up your display.

amiibo. It's strange that its plural form for that word is still amiibo. Not amiibos, but amiibo and to make things even more odd, the first letter of the word is never capitalized. So what is this so called amiibo? Nintendo has come up with a new way to innovate gamers all around the world with toy figures called, you guessed it, amiibo. Basically, they are small figurines with a scanner that you use on either your Wii U console or the New Nintendo 3DS XL (soon on the regular Nintendo 3DS XL with a separate accessory) which unlock extra features depending on the game you use it on. For the Super Smash Bros. 4 game for either console, it unlocks an NPC character that corresponds to the physical figure, which you can fight and it levels up. The more it's used, the higher the level it will go, eventually reaching its maximum level of 50. Like other games, the higher the level, the more experienced the character is, thus fights being more intense and very difficult. You are also able to customize your amiibo's fighting skills and abilities to better themselves for upcoming battles, as well as give them unique equipment, something a regular character would normally not be able to equip. amiibo work in many Wii U/N3DS titles, but its primary game is Super Smash Bros. 4.

What is this scanner you speak of? amiibo uses near field communication (NFC) technology, which is used in every day gadgets like smartphones, tablets, and recently gaming consoles. It sends frequencies to other devices so they can connect and communicate with one another. In the gaming world, NFC started off in the Skylanders universe, using similar toy figures like amiibo to communicate with its corresponding games. Each figure has its own set of coding so to speak, so two of the same figure are not the same. There have been instances where amiibo have been used outside of video games. If you buy these figures and want to use them outside of their primary use, do use them at your own risk.

Here's a video that shows an amiibo using NFC technology to illegally open a gate at a train station in Moscow, Russia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbUAFV1_4z0

amiibo are sold at most retailers and the manufacturer's suggested retail price (or MSRP) ranges in each store but it's always a dollar more or less than its set price. The set prices for them are:

$12.99 USD in the United States
10.99 GBP in the United Kingdom
14.99 EUR in Europe
1200 JPY in Japan
$17.95 AUS in Australia

Some stores have specials like "Buy one get one free!" or have a certain percent discount. Other figures are exclusive to a store, while some are exclusive to another. This is a hassle when it comes to collecting them because quantities are low. The United States is the only country that has exclusives whereas other countries have it easy to obtain any character.

The following retailers have amiibo in stock:

Wal-Mart
Target
Best Buy
Toys 'R' Us
Game Stop
EB Games
B&H Photo
Amazon
Craigslist (if you want to pay more than the MSRP)
eBay (if you want to pay more than the MSRP)

There are many stores that aren't on the list and that's because the rest are in other countries. The list goes on but you will find them where video games are sold.

So who's on the amiibo roster? At first, the roster included the Super Smash Bros. fighters, but nowadays it's getting so popular, that they're expanding it to where other characters from various games will get their own set of figures. For now, we'll focus on the SSB amiibo.

The first wave of amiibo came to the public on November 21st, 2014 with the release of Super Smash Bros. 4 and had the following characters:

The second wave came out on December 14th, 2014 in North America and December 19th, 2014 in Europe. It includes the following:

The third wave was released in Japan on January 22nd, 2015, in Australia on January 29th, 2015, and in North America on February 1st, 2015. In Europe, Wave 3 was split up in two groups. The first group was available on January 23rd, 2015 while the second group showed up on February 20th, 2015. The characters on this wave are:

Wave 3 is also the first wave where exclusive amiibo are introduced.

Lucario is a Toys 'R' Us exclusive.
Meta Knight is a Best Buy exclusive.
Rosalina & Luma is a Target exclusive.
Shulk is a Game Stop exclusive in the United States and a EB Games exclusive in Canada.

The fourth wave showed up in Japan on April 29th 2015 and in North America on May 29th, 2015. Once again in Europe, two groups were split up. The first group was released on April 24th, 2015 and the second group on May 29th, 2015. The list of characters for this wave are:

Greninja is a Toys 'R' Us exclusive.
Jigglypuff is a Target exclusive in the United States and a Wal-Mart exclusive in Canada.
Ness is a Game Stop exclusive in the United States and a EB Games exclusive in Canada.

Wave 5 amiibo was released in Europe on June 26th, 2015, in Japan on June 11th, 2015, and will be in North America towards the end of July 2015. Dark Pit will be introduced on July 31st, 2015 and Palutena will be available on July 24th, 2015. The wave consists of two characters:

Dark Pit is a Best Buy exclusive.
Palutena is an Amazon exclusive.

Wave 6 will be in stores in North America in September 2015. In Europe and Japan, Ganondorf and Zero Suit Samus were released with the wave 5 amiibo, and Dr. Mario, Bowser Jr., and Olimar will release on July 17th, 2015. The others will be in stores September 2015.

The release date for wave 7 is unknown but it is said it will definitely be in the holiday season of 2015. The only character for this wave is Falco and the DLC characters Lucas, Mewtwo, Roy, and Ryu may be included. That is still yet to be determined.

In the amiibo world, there are people who buy them to use in their favorite games, and there are those who just buy to expand their collection and display them in their room without opening the box. To me, it's the latter. Like other products, there are those who buy amiibo to simply resell them at a higher price to gain a little extra money. Some amiibo are rare and those who buy to resell usually charge a ridiculous amount of money. The reason why they do this is because the amiibo is either an exclusive or is very low in stock, or both. Another reason to this is a certain character may not have figures or any recognition any other way. For example, Mario is Nintendo's mascot. A Mario amiibo will obviously be very common and it is likely that he'll get restocked over and over. Pikachu is Pokmon's mascot so chances are you'll see its amiibo figure in stores. Also, Pokmon is well known throughout the world, therefore it has its own set of Pikachu toys, figures and so on. A figure like Little Mac will be rare as he's not distributed in any way. There are no toys or any type of memorabilia resembling Little Mac. Also, there are few games where he is in, thus making it more valuable.

Here's a picture of someone selling Gold Marios (an exclusive at Wal-Mart in the United States) for a price much higher than its MSRP. The following link takes you to an in depth look at the advertisement.

At first, people didn't really care for these exquisite figures but now, everyone wants them! These are unique toys that even if you don't open them, they will look good on a shelf or bookcase. A whole new genre has risen with these toys and the social media are exploding with this topic. The craze is out there with more people teaming up to collect them all. As for me, I'm almost done with my collection and I look forward to display it and show my friends when they come over for a round of Smash!

Thanks for reading folks! For those new to the series, I hope you learned something and if you start collecting them, do let me know. I'd love to see your display! I help my friends with their collections and they help me out, so if you end up getting them and need help, hit me up and I'll gladly aid you. Once you buy one, you will want the rest. No joke!

WNxJNG & WNxJurafalle - Rock Band Buddies <3

Warrior Nation

United States WNxBlue2095
07-18-2015, 02:30 AM
Local Time: 06:52 AM
Honorable Discharge
WoW Characters
July 28th, 1914
It's starting to become a trend with gaming companies to sell figurines. Skylanders, Disney Infinity, and now amiibo.

As for myself, I'm not really interested in figurines like these but they really are popular indeed.

Primary: Warframe
Warrior Nation
Secondary: Xbox Division

Singapore WNxJurafalle
07-19-2015, 10:40 AM
Local Time: 06:52 PM
The Waffle Man
Uses Flamethrower!
Well done Jingo mate on your first report! Pretty well done!

WNxJurafalle & WNxJNG - Rock Band Buddies <3 | Twitch Channel!
"Pure truth cannot be assimilated by the crowd; it must be communicated by contagion" - Henri Frederic Amiel

Primary: Ikariam.org
Warrior Nation

United Nations WNxIsobelle
07-19-2015, 10:56 AM
Local Time: 12:52 PM
Nice read!

Warrior Nation

United States WNxMayori
07-23-2015, 10:22 PM
Local Time: 05:52 AM
Fairy Godmother
+9 Attendance Book!
This was an excellent read. I always see the figures, and I knew they could be used in certain games, but not the details. Thank you so much for educating me!!

I honestly want about four of them just to have the figures... n.n;;