Thread: Bsod
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None

Warrior Nation

United States WNxspeccarroo
07-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Local Time: 11:39 PM
Honorable Discharge
WoW Characters
The Lone She Wolf
Bsod
Hi everyone,

So I have received BSOD about... 6-7 times in the last 2 months. I've ran my virus scanner, which is Norton 360 and nothing too threatening has come up.

When I'm on World of Warcraft, my graphics card errors out and resets my Windows display. I get the error message by my clock. It makes my screen go black for a second or two, then the graphics in-game get whacky.
My graphics card is a NVIDIA 460M, as I'm on an Asus G73S; it is fully updated via their website to the 3.88 version I believe it is.
The flickering of the resetting of my Windows screen happens a few times then boom, I get blue screened.

It's been about two weeks, or close to - since the last time it's happened but I'm almost afraid it's going to happen again.

I'm not very tech-savvy but I can manage some basic things when it comes to computers.
I hope someone can simplify a solution for me!

Thanks!
P.S. I can provide a few screen shots from in-game from what I mean when my graphics card gets "whacky".

Primary: Diablo 3
Warrior Nation

United States WNxFallen
07-02-2014, 11:04 PM
Local Time: 10:39 PM
Honorable Discharge
The Man, The Myth,
The Legend, The Fallen
When did it start? Did you upgrade graphics drivers around the time they started? To put it another way, have you tried downgrading your graphics drivers at all to a version before you started having issues?

Warrior Nation

07-03-2014, 04:20 AM
Honorable Discharge
WoW Characters
The Lone She Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxFallen View Post
When did it start? Did you upgrade graphics drivers around the time they started? To put it another way, have you tried downgrading your graphics drivers at all to a version before you started having issues?
It started at the beginning of or middle of May.
I tried to update the graphics card via Device Manager but it prompted me that it was up to date several times, so I decided to check out the NVIDIA website and there was an update.
The version I had was 3.27 and the newest version is what I currently downloaded, almost 4 weeks ago.
So everything was after I started having the blue screens occur... and during, since after I downloaded the latest version it happened about a week or so later.

Here are a couple of screen shots I was able to take, during one or two of the encounters;
http://i58.tinypic.com/5vi8w.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/fazpd3.jpg

I tried to get one of my entire screen and get it into a Paint document to save it but couldn't because of the screen going into the blue screen mode one of the times.

Warrior Nation

United States WNxDaisuke-kun
07-03-2014, 08:32 PM
Sheppard, The Coward
Sounds to me your graphics card is overheating. Download MSI Afterburner, or any other GPU monitor software, to check out your GPU temp. If it is higher than 85 degrees Celsius, you have a problem. Best guess is the fan outtake is clogged with dust and it needs to be clean.

Post us the result.

Intel i5 4670k OC 4.4Ghz | Asus Z87-Pro | eVGA GeForce GTX 760 w/ ACX Cooler | 2 4GB G.Skill DDR3 2133 | Rosewill Challenger Mid-Tower Case

Warrior Nation

07-11-2014, 01:00 AM
Honorable Discharge
WoW Characters
The Lone She Wolf
Well so far things have been okay. I have Speed Fan downloaded and programed to be always on/minimized.
I try to not let it get passed 80 degrees, especially with the summer heat waves coming to the mid-west area this summer.

I hope it doesn't happen again though.

Thanks for the help!

Warrior Nation

United States WNxWhiteWolf
07-11-2014, 03:19 PM
WoW Characters
.: Textbox :.
The going black and coming back is the graphics driver being reset; if it fails to do it 5 times in a row Windows gives up and BSODs.

The artifacts you're seeing are usually attributed to the memory/texture units rather than the GPU temp; I would service the machine by cleaning the fans (do not let them freely spin at high speed, lock them and blow them).

Download HWInfo64 and click "Sensors;" take a picture of the information, multiple if you need to to get all of it and post it here. The 400 series cards were known for being hot, and if it has been allowed to become too hot a few times they can actually "desolder" themselves and become unreliable from there on which requires a reflow or replacement to fix.

Click the image to open in full size.
Wolves do not bark.

Warrior Nation

United States WNxCyrius
07-11-2014, 03:42 PM
Local Time: 12:39 AM
Leave of Absence
www.nerdsreview.com
I had this same issue when I had an Alienware m11x and I am pretty sure it was the same series of video card. Any of the utilities mentioned here work, speedfan works for monitoring as well.

One thing though - over 80 is permanent damage levels (the desolder WhiteWolf mentioned).

This may seem obvious, but no one has asked yet, but is it under warranty still?

Warrior Nation

07-11-2014, 08:29 PM
Honorable Discharge
WoW Characters
The Lone She Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxWhiteWolf View Post
The going black and coming back is the graphics driver being reset; if it fails to do it 5 times in a row Windows gives up and BSODs.

The artifacts you're seeing are usually attributed to the memory/texture units rather than the GPU temp; I would service the machine by cleaning the fans (do not let them freely spin at high speed, lock them and blow them).

Download HWInfo64 and click "Sensors;" take a picture of the information, multiple if you need to to get all of it and post it here. The 400 series cards were known for being hot, and if it has been allowed to become too hot a few times they can actually "desolder" themselves and become unreliable from there on which requires a reflow or replacement to fix.
Alright. I'll give that ago.
Thanks for that information. I didn't know that the 400 series were problematic. Is it just in general or is it because it's inside of a laptop and not a tower-based system? Since it's more compact?
Here's the screenshot, just combined them all into Paint. (Click the pic to make it bigger.)
Click the image to open in full size.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxCyrius View Post
I had this same issue when I had an Alienware m11x and I am pretty sure it was the same series of video card. Any of the utilities mentioned here work, speedfan works for monitoring as well.

One thing though - over 80 is permanent damage levels (the desolder WhiteWolf mentioned).

This may seem obvious, but no one has asked yet, but is it under warranty still?
I have no idea, honestly. I was given it as a gift almost 3 years ago, so I'm guessing it isn't anymore. The person who gave it to me bought it through Tigerdirect I believe.
I know laptops in general don't have a long life expectancy, no matter how well they're taken care of though compared to towers.
(Our family tower is almost or over 10 years old and has had the motherboard replaced 1-2x, but the system runs very slow due to the age of the equipment inside the tower itself. lol)

Last edited by WNxspeccarroo; 07-11-2014 at 08:43 PM..