Thread: Tutorials Info Thread
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation
Secondary: Minecraft

Belgium WNxTwhiz
08-14-2011, 05:43 AM
Local Time: 11:36 PM
Cookie.?
Important
Tutorials Info Thread

Last edited by WNxTwhiz; 08-15-2011 at 02:14 PM..
Look at my Bard, my Bard is amazing!

Warrior Nation

Belgium WNxTwhiz
08-14-2011, 05:50 AM
Cookie.?
Why we have Tutorials

Even though Minecraft is a creative game, there are still some things which aren't really easy.
This subforums is made for new people, but also for people who want to look up information on certain things.
We will try to make as many Categories as possible so everybody will be able to contribute at least something.

The idea of this subforum is to teach others ways of playing the game. If everybody helps, then this might soon turn into our own private wikipedia.

In the other sticky you will find all the categories you can make tutorials for. If you believe to have more categories, then let us know by PM!
If you start making your tutorial, it will be appreciated if you put the category in the title, or even the category and subcategory.
For example:
Quote:
[Redstone] Clocks
[Mining] TNT mining
[Building:House] An awesome Mansion

Warrior Nation

Belgium WNxTwhiz
08-14-2011, 05:57 AM
Cookie.?
Improving your Tutorials

There are a lot of ways to make tutorials.
The most common way is plain text or in game conversations, although if you want a tutorial to be helpful and obvious, then a lot of visuals or "proof" is needed to help your readers out.

You can for example make a video, or add screenshots. This way you will keep members onto reading or watching your tutorials instead of skipping to another one.

The more time you spend in making your tutorial, the better it will be. Which does not mean that an edited video, or a full photoshopped album will be better than same tutorials in plain text. However they will be easier to understand and more attractive to other members.
This is also why we put in the rating system, which will take only a few seconds from every user, and it will teach you to improve your writing!

Also if you are READING a tutorial, it's good to give feedback.
Post a reply saying what you liked and what not, and where you think it could be improved.
If you notice some false information in a tutorial, don't start laughing or raging onto that guy, better post a reply saying what the good info should be.

Multiple tutorials can be made about the same subject, but if there are 50 redstone tutorials and no others, then try to fill in the others as well

Warrior Nation

Belgium WNxTwhiz
08-14-2011, 06:19 AM
Cookie.?
The rating system!

As said above, it's always good to get, but also GIVE feedback.
If you rep a user for his tutorial is always appreciated, but did you know you can receive some rep back if you give a good explanation and feedback?

The rating system was made so we can get some kind of view on how good you are in making tutorials.
If you notice the top right of the thread is an expandable menu called "Rate Thread".
In there you can go up to 5 stars (as seen here Click the image to open in full size.)

If you don't really know how to give stars then think of points that deserve stars!
Like this:
  1. Basic info
  2. Basic explanation
  3. Color schemes & Layout
  4. Visuals
  5. Detailed info

Basic info:
Is everything stated in the tutorial correct, as in the core of the tutorial, not the details.
Basic explanation:
Did everything get explained as good as possible?
Color schemes & Layout:
Does the tutorial look good and attractive enough to keep reading until the end?
Visuals:
Were there screenshots/videos to explain the tutorial better?
Detailed info:
Were there any detailed info, sidenotes to the tutorial? if so, were they correct?
If you do vote, you MUST add in what you thought of it in a reply.

If we see multiple plain text tutorials or tutorials with wrong information get 5 stars, we will know that the rating system is probably getting abused and we will stop the system.
If not, have fun and try to build up a good reputation for yourself

Warrior Nation

Belgium WNxTwhiz
08-17-2011, 05:46 PM
Cookie.?
Helpful Links

Closed Thread