Thread: !WTB Second Opinion: Sound Codecs
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

WNxDeathseeker
10-01-2006, 05:22 PM
Unregistered
#
!WTB Second Opinion: Sound Codecs
Overnight, my sound crapped out on me. I really doubt its my speakers, they're a good pair of well treated Altec Lansings.

So I'm thinking I got a pair of codecs touching each other, making things screw up. Funny part is that the sound was perfectly fine before... until the next morning.

I think that's a codec problem.

But if its a speaker problem... is it possible to stick regular headphones (MP3 style) into the sound out jack? Because I don't have another pair of comp speakers. I don't want to blow the headphones either >.>

Warrior Nation

WNxTsathoggua
10-01-2006, 05:30 PM
Unregistered
#
Have you tried the speakers on another computer yet? That would determine whether it's a speaker problem or a driver/codec issue.

And it should be possible to put headphones into your sound out jack, unless your sound card really wouldn't like it. I dunno. I'm not big on spending money on sound cards; my current one had to have the metal interface removed to fit into my case because it's about 6 years old.

Warrior Nation

WNxDeathseeker
10-01-2006, 05:48 PM
Unregistered
#
Onboard. ASUS P4P800-VM.

God I hate this board. Can't adjust FSB. <cries>

[+] Tested, it's definetly not a speaker problem.

(And the headphone into sound out jack... I just remembered some headsets use 3.5mm jacks. (and some Sennheisers use the big banana jacks xD)

Last edited by WNxDeathseeker; 10-01-2006 at 05:54 PM..

Warrior Nation

WNxHazMatt
10-01-2006, 11:03 PM
Unregistered
#
If your sound needs fixing, then you could get a USB sound card. lol. Temporary, of course. 99 cents.

Warrior Nation

WNxbigj531
10-01-2006, 11:20 PM
Unregistered
#
yes i would advise u check to see if ur codecs are still installed in ur system. If ur overclocking ur system reset ur settiong because u might have set it too high ive had this problem b when i changed the bus speed, once i put it back it worked fine.

Warrior Nation

WNxDeathseeker
10-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Unregistered
#
Uhm, no.

I said it's because it's a P4P800-VM, that's why I can't overclock it.

Besides, I said it was perfectly fine before.

Warrior Nation

WNxHazMatt
10-02-2006, 12:21 AM
Unregistered
#
If its a speaker problem, plug in your headphones into the audio out and see if they work, then again, theyre Altecs so thats prolly not the problem.

You wont blow the headphones if you're careful. Im just worried that you'll accidently blow out your ears. lol. Keep the volume control on the taskbar handy.

Oh and if you're sure its your codecs/drivers, then a System Restore will fix it.

Warrior Nation

WNxDeathseeker
10-02-2006, 12:38 AM
Unregistered
#
I tried the headphones.

And system restore? W(ant)TF that. When was my last restore point? (It's when you shut off your computer isn't it?)

It's been a while since even that.

Double posting for the legal.

I have sound, but my applications won't open. Like, during boot up, everything's fine, I can hear stuff... but stuff like MSN, Firefox, iTunes and the like won't "open". I looked in the task manager and I see the processes there, but the windows themselves aren't open.

Also, since I reinstalled the drivers, Windows has been bishing about me not having a firewal, which I do. Also, through the Windows Firewall, it won't let me either.

Sounds like something fubar'd on the sound driver install.

wtb help.

Last edited by WNxCrusader; 10-04-2006 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: pshh

Warrior Nation

WNxCrusader
10-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Unregistered
#
http://www.drivercleaner.net/ then reinstall drivers.

also i would suggest uninstalling itunes and then reinstalling. did you upgrade/install any other multimedia software in the past week or so since it has been giving you problems?

a quick google search shows that you may want to check the audio options in your bios to make sure the onboard is still enabled. ill keep snooping around and let you know if i can find anything else.

to fix the windows firewall crap, open the window and click "change how windows alerts me" or whatever it is on the left side of the alert window. unclick antivirus, firewall, whatever. hit okay.

Warrior Nation

WNxDeathseeker
10-04-2006, 05:10 PM
Unregistered
Alright, everything's fixed. Apparently, it just didn't like being reinstalled. So a quick reboot put everything back in order. (I was going to user driver cleaner, but the program asked me to uninstall anyways, so I just went with that...)

MP please close.

Ok, closing upon request. kekekeke.

Closed Thread