Thread: Review - PC - Other - Firefall
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None

Warrior Nation

United States WNxGalbsadi
08-10-2015, 11:29 AM
Local Time: 11:07 PM
Honorable Discharge
WoW Characters
Gam zeh ya'avor
Review - PC - Other - Firefall

Review - Firefall

Platform: PC
Genre Category: Other
Release Date:
ESRB: N/A
Publisher: Red 5 Studios
Developer:
Official Site URL: www.firefall.com

Potential Prerequisits for Stability
First off, if you have a higher end mobile system like I do: graphics tweaks necessary for the game: You must turn on V-Sync for this. Before doing this, my laptop's graphics was overheating repeatedly and freezing the system roughly every 20-30m. I attempted tweaking settings in the INI (as per a quick Google search), and this did nothing to solve the problem. Checked my FPS and ping (/showfps and /showlatency if using a Steam version)...was running ~100fps and had virtually no latency. Turned on vSync to lock to 60fps...and haven't had a crash since.

Graphics
Details
Graphics in this game are decent without being too intrusive into your system's requirements. Don't get me wrong, it's not as beautiful as ESO on Ultra-High or Skyrim with the High-Resolution Texture Pack, but it's approximately akin to Borderlands with flavor and detail level.

7/10

Gameplay
Details
Gameplay feels like a cross between ESO, Borderlands, and maybe Halo...although the leveling process is closer to Borderlands, or, for those from the MMO genre, WoW or SWTOR. One HUGE plus I noted in this game for those who like alts...this game lets you change 'classes' at any Battletech Garage by changing the suit you're in. This is most closely seen previously in FFXIV, although there are no cross-class skills that I am aware of. There are 16 'suits' or classes in the game, filling five separate roles (dps, scout, healer, support, tank) in a slightly expanded trinity system. Five of these suits (one for each role) are unlocked at the beginning of the game, and additional suits are unlocked by leveling another suit to maximum (or by purchasing an unlock with the game's Red Bean currency). I love the three-dimensional system created by jet packs in game. At lower levels this makes you feel extremely powerful, timing your flights to avoid enemy attacks while gunning them down from the sky. At higher levels, when enemies have ranged attacks and/or fly as well, this makes combat that much better.

10/10

Quests
Details
There are, as I've seen, approximately 5-6 static quests in each region, as well as several dynamic events throughout. All non-priority quests are repeatable (priority quests may be repeatable as well, but I haven't tested this), meaning you never have to simply grind to get a character up to the next point. Further, each quest is voice acted in a brilliant manner, with NPCs contacting you by radio if you leave voice range for them. This serves to appeal to both the lore addicts and those who'd rather run along and just shoot stuff. The only gripe I have with questing is the limited number of quests and placement of objectives in static quests, which can reduce repeat value for multiple classes (remember, you're leveling up to 16 classes on on character in this game.)

9/10

Crafting
Details
Crafting in the game appears to be most closely related to what I've seen before in StarCraft/Warcraft and/or SWTOR, although there is an option to use a 'Red Bean' to speed this up. You can research items at a workbench with Research points and the base shard currency looted off mobs, and can refine raw materials into refined materials similar to ESO or WoW, and can craft items with refined materials. I have yet to play in endgame for determination if crafting is viable for end-game (like in ESO/TERA), or secondary (like WoW/SWTOR/nearly every other MMO)...or neutral (like Borderlands)...but the system itself is well designed.

9/10

Roles
Details
Roles in this game appear to be fairly restricted, with DPS and Tank roles being much stronger than Healer Roles. (For the purpose of this review, Scout and Support are treated as DPS roles.) All classes contain some level of DPS ability, and given that all classes use any secondary weapon available to them, much of the DPS ability of various classes is easily interchangeable. The Tank classes (or, at least, the base tank class) contain a damage shield for the alternate fire of their primary weapon, rather than a dps ability. Other classes have primary weapons that do various forms of DPS depending on the regular or alternate fire of their primary weapon. Healing is only done through obtained abilities as the suit is leveled, or passively to each player based on their own suit upgrades. Further, as all abilities have lengthy cooldowns (30 seconds), healers are more akin to DPS that sometimes heal than healers that sometimes DPS. As a result, healing is particularly weak in this game compared to other roles.

6/10

Slot Machine
Each mission in the game awards tokens to be used on the game's slot machine. Crafting yields a higher level of token, a higher level still can be purchased with Red Beans, and the highest level tokens are only obtained with the purchase of Red Beans using RL money. I haven't had a chance to test the silver/gold/bonus tokens (as I have not crafted a token nor spent RL money in game), but items received from the slot machine appear to be either cosmetic, convenience, or craftable without using the slot machine system. (Further, many of the convenience items obtained are also craftable.)

Red Beans
The Red Bean currency is the real life currency in Firefall, although this appears to function more like the real life currency in Neverwinter than the Crowns of ESO or the points in TERA. By that I mean to say that there is a currency auction house with two tiers of currency exchanges. One option is to convert the currency looted off of mobs into tokens at a rate of 25mob currency:1 token, and the other option is to convert said tokens into Red Beans, with the current rate fluctuating around 100tokens:1 Red Bean. Red Bean purchases mostly allow cosmetic items, as well as some convenience factors, such as unlocking additional suits (classes) earlier in the game. Red Beans are also the only method in the game used to purchase a subscription to the VIP program. Red Beans are purchasable at the following levels for RL money:
Red Beans
Cost (USD)
$5.00
$10.00
$20.00
$50.00
$100.00

Packages at $20+ come with Reward Tokens for the games slot machine...1 token at $20, 3 tokens at $50, and 7 tokens at $100

Game Purchase Packs
There are a few options for obtaining the game, ranging from no cost to $99.99 USD to purchase the game. Packs are as follows:
Pack
None
Mercenary
Rocketeer
Racer
Rocketeer & Racer
Benefits
None
Two additional suits unlocked, 7 days VIP, 'Mercenary' title, cosmetic hat
Cosmetic wings, 3 gold tokens, 30 days VIP, 100 Red Beans, 'Rocketeer' title
Mount, 3 gold tokens, 30 days VIP, 100 Red Beans, 'Racer' title
Benefits of both Rocketeer and Racer packs
Cost (USD)
$0.00
$19.99
$59.99
$59.99
$99.99

Firefall's VIP Program (Subscription)
The subscription program for Firefall is called their VIP program, and functions at a hybrid of the premium subscriptions for SWTOR, TERA and ESO. VIP players receive a 25% boost to Crystite, XP, and Reputation, two additional manufacturing slots, eight additional marketplace slots, and access to a special boosted Glider Pad. This comes in several levels, starting at 7 day (40 Red Beans), 30 day (100 Red Beans), 1/2 year (550 Red Beans) and full year (950) Red Beans.

P2W Factor
Details
Given that most items purchasable for Red Beans are merely convenience and cosmetic, in addition to the fact that the Red Bean currency can be obtained without spending RL money, the P2W factor of this game is low. (Some would argue that it is non-existent, but leveling/crafting/travelling faster is always at least a mild advantage.) All items in the game are obtainable without spending any RL money, and all non-cosmetic/non-convenience items in the game are obtainable without even utilizing the game's Red Bean system.

Low

Entertainment Value
Details
The RL currency used in this game is only mildly intrusive, leading to minimal detraction from other gameplay. Crafting feels entertaining to me, like StarCraft, and I find myself checking the workbenches after each mission to claim the rewards from my research (or massive amount of refining). The slot machine is fun without being important, which I appreciate, and I really enjoyed how I can salvage almost any item I come across in the game to obtain crafting materials. (To date, the only items I have not been able to salvage were themselves crafting materials already.) The FPS elements tie in well with the RPG elements, although I did feel somewhat lacking being unable to utilize first-person view except with certain secondary weapons. The three-dimensional movement created by the jet pack system is extremely freeing, and the new dimensions added to combat by such are highly entertaining. At lower levels, it appears that each quest completion is enough to level up, and this appears to be on a slow progression to where higher levels might require approximately 10 quests per level. This makes leveling rewarding without being overly grindy, and as such adds further to the value. Overall, I would rate the entertainment value of this game as moderately high. (Let's face it, a two-hour delve to write a review led to ~10 hours in game this weekend.)

Moderately High

Overall, the game is definitely enjoyable, and, being F2P with a low P2W factor, it's definitely worth checking out. I can imagine this only gets better with groups and group content, which I did not yet test as of this weekend. I will be continuing to test this further, but believe it may be a good candidate for development into WN.

Last edited by WNxGalbsadi; 08-10-2015 at 11:37 AM..

Warrior Nation

England WNxArcticWolf
08-10-2015, 12:07 PM
Local Time: 04:07 AM
Great review and interesting stuff I will gladly help you test the group things just contact my via PM.

Thank you WNxEuro

Warrior Nation

Canada WNxClerve
08-10-2015, 03:34 PM
Local Time: 12:07 AM
For the most part spot on.

Would like to add to the roles however.

Scout = Sniper/glass cannon/best mobility
Engineer = Mobile tower defense, and resupply
Assault = AOE based DPS with good mobility
Dreadnaught = Balance between single target DPS and TANK!!, reduced mobility like a tank ;-)

Also, game has a built in Army structure for guild/clan. All quest missions are replayable. Side jobs/quests are random and pretty constant. Both can be done in groups (most of the quest ones have restrictions however) and some of the randoms call upon all online players to join and help out.

Warrior Nation

Finland WNxDangasa
08-10-2015, 03:58 PM
Local Time: 07:07 AM
There are 2 currencies that are not related to red beans: Credits and crystite. Credits are spendable on the market via "T" button on keyboard. Crystite on the other hand (also known as cy) is used to repair your equipment at mobile Garage stations and in the late game to research very costly equipment like weapons, abilities and customization modules and prefixes. What comes to healer battleframes, I have to say that Biotech is not exactly a mid (you have few battleframes at level 40) or late game (you have leveled up all of your 16 battleframes to level 40 and you are now grinding, doing daily missions at Amazon, doing hardcore missions for campaign tokens and unique items, helping new people ingame and having fun with your level 40 battleframes) battleframe. Biotech as well as other 4 "starting line battleframes" is leveled up for the perks you get (ps: can you please write about the perk system as you can find it on any mobile garage station's menu), so if you're looking for a good healer battleframe then you should try out dragonfly, because it concentrates on healing and also damage as well (the people I know ingame say that the dragonfly, rhino and recluse are op battleframes because they either do insane AOE or they have overall one of the best abilities in the game exclusive to only for those battleframes). Also I'd like to add that any advanced battleframe can use the weapons and abilities of the free battleframes of their type (Example: Dragonfly can use biotech gear, but not recluse). And last but not least: Thumping is a unique feature to Firefall so write about it. Info on thumping can be found here: http://firefall-wiki.com/w/Thumping (PS: check put the wiki, because it's excellent source of information). Overall what I think about your review: it's excellent in based on what you are capable of knowing at this point.

Warrior Nation

United States WNxGalbsadi
08-10-2015, 04:16 PM
Local Time: 11:07 PM
Honorable Discharge
WoW Characters
Gam zeh ya'avor
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxArcticWolf View Post
Great review and interesting stuff I will gladly help you test the group things just contact my via PM.
Definitely sounds like a plan. I'll contact you to see what time work out so we can get a best time to test this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxClerve View Post
For the most part spot on.

Would like to add to the roles however.

Scout = Sniper/glass cannon/best mobility
Engineer = Mobile tower defense, and resupply
Assault = AOE based DPS with good mobility
Dreadnaught = Balance between single target DPS and TANK!!, reduced mobility like a tank ;-)

Also, game has a built in Army structure for guild/clan. All quest missions are replayable. Side jobs/quests are random and pretty constant. Both can be done in groups (most of the quest ones have restrictions however) and some of the randoms call upon all online players to join and help out.
Thanks for the additional information on classes! I was not aware of the guild structure, but that sounds like a great addition. Also, thanks for the clarification on priority quests (I mentioned side quests were repeatable, but did not know about priorities.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxDangasa View Post
There are 2 currencies that are not related to red beans: Credits and crystite. Credits are spendable on the market via "T" button on keyboard. Crystite on the other hand (also known as cy) is used to repair your equipment at mobile Garage stations and in the late game to research very costly equipment like weapons, abilities and customization modules and prefixes. What comes to healer battleframes, I have to say that Biotech is not exactly a mid (you have few battleframes at level 40) or late game (you have leveled up all of your 16 battleframes to level 40 and you are now grinding, doing daily missions at Amazon, doing hardcore missions for campaign tokens and unique items, helping new people ingame and having fun with your level 40 battleframes) battleframe. Biotech as well as other 4 "starting line battleframes" is leveled up for the perks you get (ps: can you please write about the perk system as you can find it on any mobile garage station's menu), so if you're looking for a good healer battleframe then you should try out dragonfly, because it concentrates on healing and also damage as well (the people I know ingame say that the dragonfly, rhino and recluse are op battleframes because they either do insane AOE or they have overall one of the best abilities in the game exclusive to only for those battleframes). Also I'd like to add that any advanced battleframe can use the weapons and abilities of the free battleframes of their type (Example: Dragonfly can use biotech gear, but not recluse). And last but not least: Thumping is a unique feature to Firefall so write about it. Info on thumping can be found here: http://firefall-wiki.com/w/Thumping (PS: check put the wiki, because it's excellent source of information). Overall what I think about your review: it's excellent in based on what you are capable of knowing at this point.
Thanks for the additional information and kind words! I intend to update this with additional information given additional time to play with things. Will definitely have to update a section for thumping on my next update.

Warrior Nation

Canada WNxClerve
08-10-2015, 04:31 PM
I'll give an overview of Thumping.

It's a way of gathering resources for crafting weapons and equipment. The player actually crafts the Thumper (thus Thumping) themselves. The earliest ones can be purchased.

There are 2 classes of Thumpers being personal (1 to 2 players) and squad (3 and up). Each class also has levels for the increasingly rarer materials with an increasing difficulty level to succeed. All participating players get a share of the resources. Also, if and when the enemy spawning becomes too intense, the quest can be completed by sending the Thumper back before the time limit of 5 minutes. This allows the Thumper to be re used. If the enemy over runs the player(s) and destroys the Thumper before the time limit or the player is unable to send it back, the Thumper is lost and must be re crafted. Care must be taken to protect the Thumper, not exactly cheap in later game.

A scan hammer is used to survey an area to be thumped which gives an idea of what resources are in the area scanned. Once a suitable location has been scanned, you, or a member of your squad can call down a Thumper and begin the player generated quest to gather resources.

Thumping in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XEmZsDNCkQ

Last edited by WNxClerve; 08-10-2015 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: Video link added

Warrior Nation

United States WNx Samothrace
06-08-2016, 01:56 PM
Local Time: 10:07 PM
RIP Spot, miss you
Anyone on here play? I have a character with a couple frames. looking for battle buddies.

You can throw me to the wolves, tomorrow I will come back, leader of the whole pack.

Warrior Nation

Canada WNxClerve
06-15-2016, 05:19 PM
Haven't for some time now.