Thread: UPDATED!!! What's the current state of SC?
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None

Warrior Nation

Scotland WNxShiodome
01-27-2016, 12:33 PM
Local Time: 10:26 PM
News
UPDATED!!! What's the current state of SC?
Hey, game looks awesome but a bit confused as to what it's current state is and what is 'upcoming'. Is anyone able to provide a brief rundown of the current state of things and the *known* updates for the near future?

e.g:

How stable is the game
What parts of the game are actually currently playable
What's the population level like
Do you need a bunch of extra peripherals to play and not be at a major disadvantage, or is keyboard/mouse legit
Is there enough content currently, or is it a 'wait and see'
Can i just buy + play or do i need an invite or similar

I've played the proper internet spaceships game since 2003 (EvE) , and love me some space sim. but the info is all over the place for an outsider just starting to look into it. Is it still very much a beta, or is it at the stage where it's retail release but with more content 'soon'?

Warrior Nation

United States WNxEin
01-28-2016, 10:50 AM
Local Time: 04:26 PM
Honorable Discharge
Yeah, I am curious about those things too, I know it's in alpha development if I'm not mistaken, but little details mentioned above are difficult to find. :/

Primary: Star Citizen
Warrior Nation

United States WNx Kris Morgahan
01-28-2016, 03:36 PM
Great Question!!!!

Currently it is still in alpha; However it is Fully Playable!!!

How stable is the game?:

Its alpha but its pretty dang stable. i have been able to play for a few hours with out to many issues.

What parts of the game are actually currently playable?:
You can fly your ship, dogfight players and npc's, fps combat, explore, missions.

What's the population level like?:
Currently there are about 16 people per instance, until the cryengine core team and the network data streaming team are finished expanding the number of concurrent users per instance.
Part of the issue is that the engine updates the player(s) about everything that is going on in the world, which is a major limitation for having 100 plus people in an instance.
This limitation should be gone by release as they have mmany of the original cryengine desingers on payroll.

Do you need a bunch of extra peripherals to play and not be at a major disadvantage, or is keyboard/mouse legit:
I have a HOTAS but I still play with KB&mouse, mostly because the controller setup is a massive beast. I have a X55 Rhino and I am not sure it has the capacity to program it with all the command options. This is being addressed however. Chris knows it is a monster at the moment and he is working on getting it simplified so you can still have all the same options but its not such a project to setup your HOTAS or joystick with your preferences

Is there enough content currently, or is it a 'wait and see'?:
This is a matter of opinion so i would rather not sway you one way or there other.
currently there is one area that is pretty massive. it has sever space stations and missions available.
They are working on the next few sites but i do not have a timeline.

Can i just buy + play or do i need an invite or similar:?
You can just buy and play if you want but they do have a referral program now.
The person referring gets something based on the number of recruits.
If you would like to get some Free Money for in game purchases.
Feel free to use my code: STAR-NTST-SWB3

From the site:

The Star Citizen Recruitment Program allows you to invite friends to join the Star Citizen Project. Anyone registering with your personal code will automatically get 5,000 UEC to spend in Voyager Direct, and whenever one of your recruits becomes an active player by purchasing a Game Package (with minimum value of $40 USD), you will get a Recruitment Point. These Points unlock rewards automatically.

On a personal note I played Eve for about 7 years, currently this game is much more fun and entertaining in its Alpha, "Baby PTU" as they call it, state than Eve ever was.
I was a hard core Eve player to, minimum 4 hours every day after work and 80 percent of the weekend. When I left Eve I had several billion in personal assets and my corp had around 5 billion even though we were less than 20 people.

I personally believe Chris Roberts have the ability and the will to make a game that will kill Eve, though it would be unintentional, I believe SC will be the major cause of Eve'e eventual death.
This game will be detailed to a level never before seen in any MMO, multi-player or even single player games.

P.S.
It should go with out saying but.... Yea....
If you do join the game we have a corp and we would love WN member to join.
Just apply to the CORP or Leave us a message here with your in game name and I will get you an invite.

ALSO please bare with me if you sign up this weekend/week I am moving and may not have internet access. I am however checking the forums from my phone and will be able to replay as soon as I can.

Last edited by WNx Kris Morgahan; 01-28-2016 at 03:50 PM..

Warrior Nation

Scotland WNxShiodome
01-29-2016, 01:29 PM
Local Time: 10:26 PM
Cool, thank you very much for your reply. only thing that gives me pause is stability i guess, but i suppose that comes with the territory.

Warrior Nation

United States WNxGalbsadi
01-30-2016, 06:22 AM
Honorable Discharge
WoW Characters
Gam zeh ya'avor
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxShiodome View Post
Cool, thank you very much for your reply. only thing that gives me pause is stability i guess, but i suppose that comes with the territory.
Stability really isn't an issue, here. Biggest problem I've come across regarding this was an improper graphics configuration on my old laptop (which was a Windows issue, not a SC issue).

Game itself runs better than some fully released games have at launch. (I'm looking at you Skyrim, at you Fallout, at you ESO, and at you WoW.)

Warrior Nation

01-31-2016, 02:15 AM
Well said Galbsadi!

Warrior Nation

05-12-2016, 11:31 PM
Release 2.4 of the alpha PTU is due to be released "soon".
This release will bring:
Persistence
Alpha Economy
Shopping
Expansion of the current missions

Hope this release comes in the next few weeks.