Thread: DOW III Wishlist!
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Tags
Tags
None
Reply
 
Thread Tools



Warrior Nation
 
United States WNxPigpen
05-24-2016, 10:23 AM
Local Time: 02:01 PM
Join Date: Oct 2013   #
WNxPigpen's Avatar
Default
DOW III Wishlist!
So first off, I am already disappointed. I have always thought an RTS version of the Epic Space Marine table top would be.......EPIC! When I saw that trailer, I thought those were Titans at the end, and man o man, I got all worked up. But then I saw some screenshots, and it is not Epic. Oh well. I still have my dream.

But seriously, the things I hope to see from this game are base building and unique eco systems. DOW I started off very vanilla, obviously. Of the three armies, they looked different, but basically worked the same. All of them got resources from power generators and strategic points. It wasn't until Dark Crusade that we saw them create truly unique armies in the Tau and Necrons. The Tau had their specialized tier system, and the Necrons, their power only based eco system. I would love for them to take what they learned and start out with three very different armies with unique tiering systems and economy. I hear they are keeping the strategic points, which I think is a must! Strategic points is what created the most aggressive RTS I have ever played! But I would love for them to go away from vanilla armies after that. Where each race plays and feels very different. Not just in unit strengths, but in the way they are.



 
 
WNxPigpen is offline
Reply With Quote 
 

Warrior Nation
 
Australia WNxAmarines
05-25-2016, 12:35 AM
Local Time: 06:01 AM
Join Date: Jul 2007   #
Robot Rock
WNxAmarines's Avatar
www.amarines.net
Agreed with allot of the items you mention their Pigpen.

My initial feel for DoW III:
  • Base building is coming back with an overwhelmingly positive response from the community.
    • I am interested to see how they will balance the importance of strategic points as they are in DoW II alongside vulnerable bases that could be harassed at any moment. In DoW II bases are very much invulnerable until T3 where one side has the upper hand, the ony real option early game was gen bashing. Whether the buildings in III are going to share the same attributes as being only a late-game avenue of attack will be interesting.
  • Three races
    • Orks are in the original three, so I am more then happy
    • Not too annoyed about three races, delivering a good balanced game is allot easier when you only have three races to juggle with.
    • The expansions/DLCs will come with more races no doubt, it's a new play style they are trying with the engine so I want them to nail it before they crowd it with race options.
    • Agreed with Pigpen, I hope the races have unique attributes about themselves or at least when new ones are added to the game.
  • Large scale
    • I found DoW II to have plenty of large scale battles. Yes there were less units in a squad but I didn't find that had much impact on the epicness of a battle, it still shared the same chaos and annihilation when enough players got caught in a traffic jam. Interested what is going to bring them to a new caliber.
    • The walkers look fantastic in the trailer, can't comment much until we see some gameplay here.
  • Overall Design
    • I hope they tone down animations this time around. There has always been a habit in DoW II of locking a unit into a 3-5 second animation that would make them invulnerable for a short period, or in the case of a vehichle/walker unit, open it up to attack as the enemy prepared their AV units to target it. It really impacted ones ability to counter powerful T3 units or to retreat units out of battle.
    • Hoping they keep the retreat functionality in the game, also to take advantage more of the morale system that is so prominent in the TT game.



 
 
WNxAmarines is offline
Reply With Quote 
 

Warrior Nation
 
United States WNxPigpen
05-25-2016, 03:07 PM
Local Time: 02:01 PM
Join Date: Oct 2013   #
WNxPigpen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxAmarines View Post
Agreed with allot of the items you mention their Pigpen.

My initial feel for DoW III:
  • Base building is coming back with an overwhelmingly positive response from the community.
    • I am interested to see how they will balance the importance of strategic points as they are in DoW II alongside vulnerable bases that could be harassed at any moment. In DoW II bases are very much invulnerable until T3 where one side has the upper hand, the ony real option early game was gen bashing. Whether the buildings in III are going to share the same attributes as being only a late-game avenue of attack will be interesting.
  • Three races
    • Orks are in the original three, so I am more then happy
    • Not too annoyed about three races, delivering a good balanced game is allot easier when you only have three races to juggle with.
    • The expansions/DLCs will come with more races no doubt, it's a new play style they are trying with the engine so I want them to nail it before they crowd it with race options.
    • Agreed with Pigpen, I hope the races have unique attributes about themselves or at least when new ones are added to the game.
  • Large scale
    • I found DoW II to have plenty of large scale battles. Yes there were less units in a squad but I didn't find that had much impact on the epicness of a battle, it still shared the same chaos and annihilation when enough players got caught in a traffic jam. Interested what is going to bring them to a new caliber.
    • The walkers look fantastic in the trailer, can't comment much until we see some gameplay here.
  • Overall Design
    • I hope they tone down animations this time around. There has always been a habit in DoW II of locking a unit into a 3-5 second animation that would make them invulnerable for a short period, or in the case of a vehichle/walker unit, open it up to attack as the enemy prepared their AV units to target it. It really impacted ones ability to counter powerful T3 units or to retreat units out of battle.
    • Hoping they keep the retreat functionality in the game, also to take advantage more of the morale system that is so prominent in the TT game.
Heck yeah! I would love that. The true advantage of the Space Marine is their will to continue the fight at all costs. Having units break and fall back would probably drive players crazy, but something more that just weakend units would be great as far what I would like.



 
 
WNxPigpen is offline
Reply With Quote 
 

Warrior Nation
 
United States WNxShadowZero
05-25-2016, 07:19 PM
Local Time: 02:01 PM
Join Date: Aug 2012   #
WNxShadowZero's Avatar
Keeping the retreat function would be great.

The biggest thing I want to see is each race standing out on their own for their own style of play. I want to be able to switch from all 3 races and feel that I am trying something new not just the same thing reskinned and renamed.



 
 
WNxShadowZero is offline
Reply With Quote 
 

Warrior Nation
 
Australia WNxAmarines
05-25-2016, 08:28 PM
Local Time: 06:01 AM
Join Date: Jul 2007   #
Robot Rock
WNxAmarines's Avatar
www.amarines.net
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxShadowZero View Post
Keeping the retreat function would be great.

The biggest thing I want to see is each race standing out on their own for their own style of play. I want to be able to switch from all 3 races and feel that I am trying something new not just the same thing reskinned and renamed.
If they were doing that then it would be a good explanation as to why there are three races instead of four as it's such a vastly different approach. You have me excited about this now SZ...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk



 
 
WNxAmarines is offline
Reply With Quote 
 

Warrior Nation
 
United States WNxPigpen
05-26-2016, 11:20 AM
Local Time: 02:01 PM
Join Date: Oct 2013   #
WNxPigpen's Avatar
I think they would be foolish not to. I think Dark Crusade was a taste of what can be done to individualize races.



 
 
WNxPigpen is offline
Reply With Quote 
 

Warrior Nation
 
Australia WNxAmarines
05-26-2016, 09:13 PM
Local Time: 06:01 AM
Join Date: Jul 2007   #
Robot Rock
WNxAmarines's Avatar
www.amarines.net
I've never realised this but it's probably why DC is my favourite out of all the vanilla games. It was such a different flavour playing with the Necrons; the economy, unit cost and the speed factor that affected movement. Not to mention raising your base into a monolith for some epic attacks 😀

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk



 
 
WNxAmarines is offline
Reply With Quote 
 

Warrior Nation
 
United States WNxPigpen
05-26-2016, 09:29 PM
Local Time: 02:01 PM
Join Date: Oct 2013   #
WNxPigpen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxAmarines View Post
I've never realised this but it's probably why DC is my favourite out of all the vanilla games. It was such a different flavour playing with the Necrons; the economy, unit cost and the speed factor that affected movement. Not to mention raising your base into a monolith for some epic attacks ��

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Heck yeah. Even the Tau were a much different feeling race with the choice of the two paths and their extreme imbalance of technological power and frailty. I would love it if the Eldar felt as alien to use as the Tau did. I noticed that Wraithbone had a huge visual representation in the trailer. I don't want to see mining or anything like that come into play, but a Wraithbone based economy would be a trip.



 
 
WNxPigpen is offline
Reply With Quote 
 

Warrior Nation
 
United States WNxPigpen
05-27-2016, 02:33 PM
Local Time: 02:01 PM
Join Date: Oct 2013   #
WNxPigpen's Avatar
If I had to speculate, these are some of the things I think would be cool to individualize the races.
I sort of took what is shown in the trailer for each one.

Space Marines: Unbreakable.
Orks: Looting for additional resources.
Eldar: Introduce Wraithbone as a resource.



 
 
WNxPigpen is offline
Reply With Quote 
 

Warrior Nation
 
United States WNxShadowZero
05-27-2016, 08:02 PM
Local Time: 02:01 PM
Join Date: Aug 2012   #10 
WNxShadowZero's Avatar
honestly the biggest thing I always wanted to see especially when in dawn of war to is around these leader units. I want them each to have their own special units towards the leader. Could you imagine that with chaos. You are the chaos lord so all your units are khorne based all the way up to being able to get the blood thirster, but then if you are the plague champ your units are nurgal based all the way up to being able to get the great uncleaned one.

I believe this would add a whole different level to think style because not only would you need to learn the race, but the units for each leader along with it.



 
 
WNxShadowZero is offline
Reply With Quote 
 

Warrior Nation
 
United States WNxPigpen
05-31-2016, 05:10 PM
Local Time: 02:01 PM
Join Date: Oct 2013   #11 
WNxPigpen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxShadowZero View Post
honestly the biggest thing I always wanted to see especially when in dawn of war to is around these leader units. I want them each to have their own special units towards the leader. Could you imagine that with chaos. You are the chaos lord so all your units are khorne based all the way up to being able to get the blood thirster, but then if you are the plague champ your units are nurgal based all the way up to being able to get the great uncleaned one.

I believe this would add a whole different level to think style because not only would you need to learn the race, but the units for each leader along with it.
That would be pretty sweet as long as they did not have to sacrifice gameplay to make it happen. There are so many armies out there. I mean Space Marines would have to include Space Wolf Troops, White Scar Bikers, Dark Angel Deathwing, and so on. It would be a lot. I could see something like that if they kept it to only three races and added on Chapters and such. Games Workshop is pretty picky about having video games replace Table Top though.



 
 
WNxPigpen is offline
Reply With Quote 
 

Warrior Nation
 
Australia WNxAmarines
06-01-2016, 07:19 PM
Local Time: 06:01 AM
Join Date: Jul 2007   #12 
Robot Rock
WNxAmarines's Avatar
www.amarines.net
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxPigpen View Post
That would be pretty sweet as long as they did not have to sacrifice gameplay to make it happen. There are so many armies out there. I mean Space Marines would have to include Space Wolf Troops, White Scar Bikers, Dark Angel Deathwing, and so on. It would be a lot. I could see something like that if they kept it to only three races and added on Chapters and such. Games Workshop is pretty picky about having video games replace Table Top though.
I can't see them going that route as they would have to include those aspects in the campaign as well. As seen in the past, the purpose of using the Blood Ravens is too avoid conflict with the other lore in the 40k world. If they started introducing all the other factions inside let us say SM then they may feel like they have to weave their way into the history. Whether Relic rather avoid it altogether or if the Games Workshop don't want them too I don't know, but I doubt we'll see something as close to the TT as Pigpen has said.



 
 
WNxAmarines is offline
Reply With Quote 
 

Primary: Star Citizen
Warrior Nation
 
United States WNxFireDrake
06-05-2016, 09:54 AM
Local Time: 03:01 PM
Join Date: Dec 2004   #13 
WNxFireDrake's Avatar
Wise man or fool?
Sorry guys, but if this is going to be a traditional RTS then I think the retreat command would ruin it, at least for me. It made sense as a ******** command in DoW2 because of the tactics focus, but I'm not sure it makes sense on a strategic scale.

If order for me to get excited about the game, and in fact in order for me to actually purchase it, I need squads that have the reinforce button a la DoW 1. It allowed for running battles that lasted for real-world minutes, not Starcraft's battles that have a clear outcome after 5-10 seconds or less. For me, that ability was what made the game amazing, and I don't plan on buying this game if that feature isn't there.




"The wise make proverbs and fools repeat them." -Isaac D'Israeli
 
 
WNxFireDrake is offline
Reply With Quote 
 

Warrior Nation
 
United States WNxPigpen
06-07-2016, 12:02 PM
Local Time: 02:01 PM
Join Date: Oct 2013   #14 
WNxPigpen's Avatar
I'm with you, although I will probably buy it anyway. Just like the Fallout 4, I was very skeptical of the new leveling system, but I had to try it out regardless. Yeah, I hated it, but I had to see for myself.

So I guess my wish list so far after reading your guys ideas would be:

  1. DOWI style gameplay including the reinforce button and strategic points.
  2. Larger scale battles
  3. Bases (confirmed)
  4. Knights being more than just tier 3 super units
  5. Individual race eco systems and tier requirements



 
 
WNxPigpen is offline
Reply With Quote 
 

Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.


Make a Donation to Warrior Nation with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure! Disclaimer©1998-2015 Digital Millennium Copyright Act.
WN Custom Skin Design by WNxWakko
Webmasters: WNxWakko & WNxWhiteWolf

Make a Donation to Warrior Nation with PayPal - it's fast, free and secure!


Navbar with Avatar by Kolbi
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 PM.