Thread: World Nominations
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

United States WNx ArielOfTheVale
05-08-2012, 02:38 PM
Local Time: 01:33 AM
For Great Justice!
Event
World Nominations
Let's have some nominations for which world the guild should be established in for the full release. (For the purposes of the beta, we will continue to use Gandara and Yak's Bend.) A listing of worlds to choose from is here http://www.arena.net/blog/choosing-a...n-guild-wars-2

If a world gets 2 or more nominations, it will move on to voting. I'll leave this open until the end of May for nominations.

I will start by nominating Gandara (EU). This was a cool place in GW, and I had no problems playing on an EU server for the first beta event.

Nominations:
1: Gandara (EU)
1: Aurora Glade (EU)
4: Yak's Bend (US)
1: Whiteside Ridge (EU)
2: Darkhaven (US)

Last edited by WNx ArielOfTheVale; 05-15-2012 at 01:58 PM..
My blade hungers for your flesh. You wouldn't want it to go hungry, would you?

Warrior Nation
Secondary: Diablo 3

Finland WNxSaint
05-08-2012, 02:45 PM
Local Time: 08:33 AM
Im gonna say Aurora Glade because there i was in first beta. (EU)

Warrior Nation

United States WNxOjan23
05-08-2012, 02:52 PM
ALWAYS be prepared :)
Yak's bend was fine for me after the initial day and a half of ppl flooding onto the servers and kinks being worked out; hopefully they let more world transfers this weekend. so we can test things out a bit more

"we'll end up numb from playing video games, and we'll get sick of having sex" - The Limousines

Warrior Nation

WNxKurai
05-08-2012, 02:59 PM
Unregistered
#
I'm going to have to nominate Yak's Bend. gw2guru/zam/etc. Name doesn't sound BA or anything but I have a feeling it will be pretty good at WvW and PvE can be good anywhere.

Warrior Nation
Secondary: World of Tanks

United States WNxTyr4el
05-08-2012, 04:18 PM
WoW Characters
It's TEE-REE-UHL!
Yak's Bend is fine. I don't see a reason to not continue using the same servers for release.

"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players"
-Shakespeare

Warrior Nation

WNxAizen
05-08-2012, 10:36 PM
Unregistered
#
Yak's Bend.

Warrior Nation

United States WNxPyrZern
05-09-2012, 12:46 AM
Local Time: 10:33 PM
Temperance
Dawn
THIS

Click the image to open in full size.

Found a new Girl for my Ava/Sig ~!!!!
New Pyr3D.com Folio Website

Warrior Nation

Puerto Rico WNxRune
05-09-2012, 02:34 AM
WoW Characters
Prince of Madness
And Pyrasia just gave us our guild banner.

Yak's Bend is fine, at least for now. Of course it may be decided by how many EU and US people we will have come release date.

I like being a Yak... no wait, I take that back.

Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies within the heart of mankind. -Edward D. Morrison

Primary: Minecraft
Warrior Nation

Netherlands WNxThum
05-09-2012, 05:09 AM
Local Time: 07:33 AM
Jaqun
I vote for a server with the leased players... And since that isnt possible to know yet, I do not vote untill I know!

Warrior Nation

WNxShazzam
05-09-2012, 06:25 AM
Unregistered
Somewhere in this general area, but will be happy to play whatever server the majority are on!
Click the image to open in full size.

Warrior Nation
Secondary: World of Tanks

United States WNxTyr4el
05-09-2012, 07:10 AM
WoW Characters
It's TEE-REE-UHL!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxThum View Post
I vote for a server with the leased players... And since that isnt possible to know yet, I do not vote untill I know!
I think we should pick before pre-release. We have the potential to be the largest guild on the server starting out and maybe even for a while. Looking at that from a potential recruit's perspective, I'd definitely want to join up. So I think we should pick one before.

"All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players"
-Shakespeare

Warrior Nation

Netherlands WNxThrawn
05-09-2012, 08:23 AM
WoW Characters
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxTyr4el View Post
I think we should pick before pre-release. We have the potential to be the largest guild on the server starting out and maybe even for a while. Looking at that from a potential recruit's perspective, I'd definitely want to join up. So I think we should pick one before.
With this first probing on what servers people would like to play on most, the first step to decision making is taken.

It will be decided through polling and carefull deliberation asto where we'll be located. It will be clear before the full game is released.

I'm pretty confident that it'll turn out to be a decision between Yaks(US) and Gandara(EU).

(Ojan23): do you got tattoos?
(Ojan23): you probably have like a scuba depth gauge on your weiner and just don't tell anyone

Primary: Diablo 3
Warrior Nation

Netherlands WNxChista
05-12-2012, 05:38 AM
I've a moral compass
It points South
I'm not sure where the rest of my real life friends and long-time game friends will choose to play yet. Naturally, I want to play with as many people I actually know as possible. =(

♫I like cookies♫
♫Do you like em too?♫
♫Don't you eat them all now♫
♫'Cos I'd like to eat some too.♫

Warrior Nation

WNxFood Ninja
05-12-2012, 05:55 AM
Unregistered
i think well should choose this after we have tested a few more severs first

Warrior Nation

United States WNxOjan23
05-12-2012, 08:20 AM
ALWAYS be prepared :)
I don't think the actual server really matters other than if its in Euro or US, much like if you do the "-image" line in the shortcut to GW2 to download all the game files (where you go into the properties and add -image after .exe with a space) you can type in " -diag" and it will give you a text document that has a bunch of info which includes a traceroute to their servers, one listed in Dallas Texas(64.25.39.1) and the other in Frankfurt Germany(206.127.158.1), and gives you the final IP address of the server where when I ping them from Pittsburgh PA (East coast US) I get avg values of 54 and 112 ms respectively

and I say those cities, b/c in the trace route (where you see the IP address of each place you have to connect through to get to the server) the last couple hops (places) have those cities listed as names, but there are a couple more hops afterwards that could take it somewhere else. B/c I've read that ncsoft/arena has a server facility in Austin TX, not sure about in EU, so it might just be travelling through dallas as a main HUB for the Texas area. Additionally, these may or may not be the actual game servers; but the authentications ones. Although, the diagnostic test should connect to the playable servers but regardless they will/should be in the same location as the other servers.

But my point being, the servers are all listed in one location and other than playing with ppl you know it won't matter which one we are in beyond the two locations (both having fine enough connections for me). The only other thing that affects the server is how many ppl will be in that one total and not just us and how good they will be at WvW; which we cannot determine because nor would I try to just based on betas
If we want to change later, we can always save up enough gold as a guild to pay for everyone buying gems and moving at once if need be. The important thing is that we just agree to be in one location so it is easy to play with each other.

Last edited by WNxOjan23; 05-12-2012 at 08:27 AM..

"we'll end up numb from playing video games, and we'll get sick of having sex" - The Limousines

Primary: Diablo 3
Warrior Nation

Denmark WNxZexion
05-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Fite for the lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxOjan23 View Post
But my point being, the servers are all listed in one location and other than playing with ppl you know it won't matter which one we are in beyond the two locations (both having fine enough connections for me). The only other thing that affects the server is how many ppl will be in that one total and not just us and how good they will be at WvW; which we cannot determine because nor would I try to just based on betas
If we want to change later, we can always save up enough gold as a guild to pay for everyone buying gems and moving at once if need be. The important thing is that we just agree to be in one location so it is easy to play with each other.
This. Note how in beta, most server problems were reported from people in EU? Also, there has been speculation that part of the reason they don't go out of their way to place the stress test outside of normal working hours in their company is not only to save on overtime wages, but also because what they wanna stress test is the experience when playing from EU. If that is the case, that seems to indicate problems is not as much which region your world belongs to, but rather where in the world you are located (guesting also seems to be a sign that "Home World" is just a loose concept that has less to do with server location, and more to do with the community tied to it).

So, that means EU/US home world means "When do people prefer prime-time on their server to be located?". This will not simply be a question of "do we have most EU or US people?" but could also be, for example if a player plays more in EU primetime, but prefers avoiding crowded servers, he could vote for a US home world, so his playing time is outside the world primetime. I think it is too early to say anything about that, so the people that show interest in playing once we get closer to launch can have their say as well.

As for once EU/US is settle on, yeah which of the worlds is just a question of what other people gather there. Although stuff like "official russian server" usually only influences less than half a server population, it can still significantly influence the experience. As for Yak's/Gandara specifically, that was just because those were the US/EU servers for GW2Guru.

Still think it's unfair for later arrivals to hold any kind of deciding vote now, but if I had to say anything now it would be Gandara (EU).

_Zexion

(Guild Chat during GW:EotN preview at 1 am)
Raynewen Wildheart: i so need an orgasm. rightnow. IGNORE THAT! oh god im drunk

Warrior Nation

WNxXelviar
05-12-2012, 07:07 PM
Unregistered
I have no preference on server, though the one I was in last BWE was Jade Sea.

Warrior Nation

United States WNxFireWraith
05-13-2012, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxTyr4el View Post
We have the potential to be the largest guild on the server starting out and maybe even for a while.
I fuckin lol'd

There are guilds with 1500+ people in their Guild Wars 2 section and numerous guilds with 200+. WN isn't even on the map anymore in terms of sizeable multi-gaming guilds. That's what 5 years of skidding will do.

Also, Yak's Bend was probably so popular because it's one of 3 permanent beta servers, so you have all the permanent testers + weekend testers on it. That's why you experienced queues and downtime and whatever else. I was on Moladune and it was fairly smooth sailing for the entire last BWE.

Warrior Nation

Netherlands WNxThrawn
05-13-2012, 01:10 PM
WoW Characters
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxFireWraith View Post
I fuckin lol'd

There are guilds with 1500+ people in their Guild Wars 2 section and numerous guilds with 200+. WN isn't even on the map anymore in terms of sizeable multi-gaming guilds. That's what 5 years of skidding will do.

Also, Yak's Bend was probably so popular because it's one of 3 permanent beta servers, so you have all the permanent testers + weekend testers on it. That's why you experienced queues and downtime and whatever else. I was on Moladune and it was fairly smooth sailing for the entire last BWE.
200+ people should be do-able quite easily. We already have near 70 members pledging to go either primary or secondary and we are missing quite a lot of people on that list who have simply not done so.(Another 20+ of the GWS, for example.) 100+ is doable simply from inter-WN transfers.

Largest guild? No, we won't achieve that. A closed community with mandatory sign-up tends to be too much of a turn-off. A 'sizable gaming guild'? definitely do-able. Afterall, sizable is in the eye of the beholder; I'd call a triple digit-amount of members, sizable.

Additionally, Yak's Bend was mainly so popular due to it being one of the GWGservers.

(Ojan23): do you got tattoos?
(Ojan23): you probably have like a scuba depth gauge on your weiner and just don't tell anyone

Warrior Nation

United States WNxFireWraith
05-13-2012, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxThrawn View Post
200+ people should be do-able quite easily. We already have near 70 members pledging to go either primary or secondary and we are missing quite a lot of people on that list who have simply not done so.(Another 20+ of the GWS, for example.) 100+ is doable simply from inter-WN transfers.

Largest guild? No, we won't achieve that. A closed community with mandatory sign-up tends to be too much of a turn-off. A 'sizable gaming guild'? definitely do-able. Afterall, sizable is in the eye of the beholder; I'd call a triple digit-amount of members, sizable.

Additionally, Yak's Bend was mainly so popular due to it being one of the GWGservers.
Eh, the problem though is that size in WN terms is quite arbitrary. WN RPG sections are usually the brimming definition of casual and you'd be hard-pressed to even get a quarter of the total primaries/secondaries online at any given time. And I've been in a LOT of WN RPG sections...

Compared to a smaller, more "hardcore" guild that has attendance requirements, the smaller guild is going to appear much larger simply because they will have more players online at any given time.

Either way, it's a huge fallacy to assume that WN is going to be a large guild in-game. It just isn't, even if your roll call says there's over 100 players in the section. There are guilds who have been actively recruiting for months and even years and I have yet to see a single WN recruitment thread in any of the frequented GW2 forums.

Closed Thread