Thread: WI-FI regulator
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None

Primary: Neverwinter
Warrior Nation

Venezuela WNxBoanerges
03-31-2012, 03:49 PM
Local Time: 07:32 PM
Boa: Easy to pronounce
WI-FI regulator
Hello fellows; I need your hep with something, you see, i use wi-fi in my home and my main pc (which i use to work, play bsgo, and other stuff) is plugged into the router.

BUT turns out i gave the wi-fi password to my brothers who use laptops and smartphones, and when they're online, my speed drops quite a bit.

So, i want to be a good person and let them keep the wi-fi; but not so good as to give up my speed for them.

Hence my question on the matter: Do you know of any software i can use on my pc to control the wi-fi traffic, cap their bandwidth, give priority to devices, etc?

The router is a tp-link TL-WR740N if you need that info. Thanks a lot in advance!!

Warrior Nation

WNxIce
03-31-2012, 04:22 PM
Unregistered
#
You will need to buy a nice wireless router that has quality of service option to where you can put whos highest priority for bandwidth or go DD-WRT Custom Firmware. Most quality of service routers run around 80+ dollars. I seen some basic routers that have it but use the priority option which sometimes it works. If you are not using the internet, they will get full priority while if you hop on the internet, the bandwidth switches back to you. In a low price router you might have one. My internet is on a Fiber Optic Line and had to buy one of those nice Netgear extreme routers to where it gives me the option of what bandwidth I can give to each IP Address that is connected to my router. This is what the high end routers do these days and it will make things more easier.

Those two options are the only way around to limit bandwidth. There is no software out there that I know of right now unless someone here can find one for you.

Last edited by WNxIce; 03-31-2012 at 04:26 PM..

Primary: WarCraft 3
Warrior Nation

South Korea WNxCarrion7
03-31-2012, 09:06 PM
Local Time: 05:02 PM
Complex Contemplation
I don't use that router, nor do I know much about it but access the router to see if it has QoS.

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Warrior Nation

Venezuela WNxBoanerges
04-01-2012, 05:33 AM
Yes, it has QoS; at least it appears on the website and manual: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...odel=TL-WR740N

Can i modify how she distributes the QoS? It doesn't include a software to control it, but what about a third party?

If not, what about this other option:

My modem has 2 ports: 1 usb, and 1 lan (to which the router is connected); i have the main pc plugged directly to the modem via usb, and to the router via lan; say i turn off the router if i'm gonna use a lot of bandwidth; will just usb (2.0) give me enough?

Last edited by WNxBoanerges; 04-01-2012 at 05:39 AM..

Primary: WarCraft 3
Warrior Nation

South Korea WNxCarrion7
04-01-2012, 01:17 PM
Local Time: 05:02 PM
Complex Contemplation
Quote:
WNxBaonerges:
Yes, it has QoS; at least it appears on the website and manual: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/d...odel=TL-WR740N

Can i modify how she distributes the QoS? It doesn't include a software to control it, but what about a third party?
Access the router via your web browser. Generally it's 192.168.1.1 but I can't tell you for sure. It could be different (but 90% of the time it's 192.168.1.1).

Quote:
My modem has 2 ports: 1 usb, and 1 lan (to which the router is connected); i have the main pc plugged directly to the modem via usb, and to the router via lan; say i turn off the router if i'm gonna use a lot of bandwidth; will just usb (2.0) give me enough?

I've never dealt with a modem that has a USB connector, but if you connect your computer directly with the router it's a bad thing to do because an entire layer of security is missing, but yes your internet should still work if you disconnect the router (but that disconnects the internet entirely, not slow it down).

A witty saying proves nothing. -- Voltaire

Warrior Nation

WNxIce
04-01-2012, 02:15 PM
Unregistered
#
I bet you anything the USB Connection is slowing you down.The USB connection will not give you the max bandwidth you get from your ISP. The USB port is more used for people who very rarely don't have a cat5 network port and the connections on the USB channel is stable but not to get the max bandwidth on the cord unless your speeds are below 3mb on download speed then you won't notice a bit about it.

Also I don't know if you can use the QoS on the USB connection but read your manual.

When I use my USB port for internet my connection speed is horribly cut.

Last edited by WNxIce; 04-01-2012 at 05:26 PM..

Warrior Nation

United States WNxAbion47
04-02-2012, 12:18 AM
Local Time: 06:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxIce View Post
I bet you anything the USB Connection is slowing you down.The USB connection will not give you the max bandwidth you get from your ISP. The USB port is more used for people who very rarely don't have a cat5 network port and the connections on the USB channel is stable but not to get the max bandwidth on the cord unless your speeds are below 3mb on download speed then you won't notice a bit about it.

Also I don't know if you can use the QoS on the USB connection but read your manual.

When I use my USB port for internet my connection speed is horribly cut.
That actually depends on the type of Ethernet cord he is using for his internet and what speed his USB is running at. Ethernet has several specifications: 10BaseT, 100BaseT, and 1000BaseT, and they all run at 10 Mbps. 100 Mbps, and 1000 Mbps, respectively. USB 2.0 has two several different speeds (Full Speed and High Speed) which run at about a max of 12 Mbps and 480 Mbps. If you figure out which speeds your Ethernet/USB cables are running at, you can choose the fastest one of the two (although if you have 1000BaseT running your internet, you might as well go with that, because USB 2.0 is not coming anywhere close). However, if speed really is your primary goal, USB 3.0 has a theoretical max of 4.8 Gbps. In this case, the only real bottlenecks on your network would be other users on the network and the speed you are getting from your ISP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxBoanerges View Post
Turning off the router would route all the possible bandwidth to your connection, seeing as it is the only connection even available. However, depending on your modem and how it is set up, there is a chance that the internet won't even work without a router attached, although seeing as you aren't even connected via a router this is unlikely.

Intel i7-950 3.06GHz | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Nvidia GTX-680 | 6 x Corsair Vengeance 4 GB DDR3 1600 | Antec Nine Hundred ATX Tower
http://www.youtube.com/NerdyShoreTV || http://www.twitch.tv/Abion47

Warrior Nation

WNxIce
04-02-2012, 02:03 AM
Unregistered
#
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxAbion47 View Post
That actually depends on the type of Ethernet cord he is using for his internet and what speed his USB is running at. Ethernet has several specifications: 10BaseT, 100BaseT, and 1000BaseT, and they all run at 10 Mbps. 100 Mbps, and 1000 Mbps, respectively. USB 2.0 has two several different speeds (Full Speed and High Speed) which run at about a max of 12 Mbps and 480 Mbps. If you figure out which speeds your Ethernet/USB cables are running at, you can choose the fastest one of the two (although if you have 1000BaseT running your internet, you might as well go with that, because USB 2.0 is not coming anywhere close). However, if speed really is your primary goal, USB 3.0 has a theoretical max of 4.8 Gbps. In this case, the only real bottlenecks on your network would be other users on the network and the speed you are getting from your ISP.
I read it wrong on his last post. Seems that he wants to use the USB Connection. If you try to disable your router, you will lose connection to all the ports including the USB. You need to login to the router and adjust the QoS settings to limit the bandwidth. There is no third party program that does this. You can only do it from the router since the router is encrypted and there aren't programs that are high enough to break that encryption.

Last edited by WNxIce; 04-02-2012 at 02:05 AM..

Warrior Nation

Venezuela WNxBoanerges
04-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Alright, to clear things up:

I use the LAN cable from the pc to the router, and the usb from the pc directly on the modem; on the pc, it shows i'm connected to 2 different networks (well of course; if i had both plugged into the modem, it would only show 1 network).

Already tested turning off the router and i still get the network from the usb; BUT it is less secure since i don't have the router in between the pc and the modem. Couldn't benchmark the speed via usb.

Tried the 192.168.1.1 and i can't control the QoS from there. Well, we can close this thread, there's nothing to do here. Thanks a lot for your help (i actually learned something about how these things work)

Warrior Nation

WNxIce
04-03-2012, 07:10 PM
Unregistered
You can't control the QoS in the router settings? You should be able to by going to the QoS area inside the router firmware....... (Firmware as in router settings). Hmm Did you login with these login infos:

Login router infos: (Default User and Pass)

Username: admin
password admin

or

Username: admin
Password:password

or

Username: leave blank
Password: admin

did you use any of these three to login to the router right?

I just want to make sure since I am seeing that you can control the QoS from the router settings but I could be wrong since I don't know how reliable TL Routers are and if you stated you can't control the QoS settings then that means you do have a very cheap router that states you can control it but you can't.

Last edited by WNxIce; 04-03-2012 at 07:12 PM..

Warrior Nation

Venezuela WNxBoanerges
04-04-2012, 11:14 AM
The QoS as defined by tp-link, is a "guarantee" that the bandwidth will be allocated equally among all the users at any given time. Problem is, there's no option on the router settings to manually allocate bandwidth to each user or device.

Warrior Nation

WNxIce
04-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Unregistered
Ah so you have an auto Quality of Service. Very common to see on cheaper routers. Like I said earlier you are looking at a more expensive router to control where your bandwidth is going.