Thread: ASM/Raptor harassment tactics
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

WNxDJembe
12-15-2011, 05:38 PM
Unregistered
#
ASM/Raptor harassment tactics
For many Assault Marines the bottom line is killing your opponent; while this is a good priority for taking down strategic targets (like snipers or heavy bolters) it should not be your soul objective. Harassment tactics can change the tides of a game gone awry.

An example: a devastator with iron halo and a heavy bolter has setup in a defensive position. Move close enough to launch a blind grenade, call out a charge from allies in cover, then jump away from them, charging a plasma shot to launch at the devastator mid flight. With skill and luck, your shot will take down his shield and your allies will finish him.

Mind your spacing: try to stay out of precision bolter range (just what is that range? Gotta figure it out trial and error. We may have some 1v1 training sessions to help establish safe-ish distances.)

Get to know your jet pack, play 1 man private matches on any level and jet around. Try and discover what varying your combination of directional buttons with varying jump times (Holding space bar or X or whatever your jump button is for varying durations). Figure out when your pack is going to be out of power, and get used to running for cover, or jumping between different covers. Practice long ranged and mid air targeting with pistols (also an item worthy of 1v1 practice. I use the campaign and Exterminatus to practice my cross-hair tracking some days.)
The following are a few tips on playing the Harassment Assault Marine/Raptor.
  • Choose your targets; don't lock onto targets immediately, figure out who your allies are targeting, and take them down.
  • Assists are worth as much as kills in the grand scope.
  • Taunt targets with light salvos, keep them looking for you.
  • Melee isn't always the answer. Focus on your ranged abilities and blind grenades.
  • Pay as much attention to your team mates as you do your enemies; Pick out specific members to keep track of, and focus on enemies in their general area

Plasma Pistol: Break shields, then change targets/retreat.

Last edited by WNxDJembe; 12-15-2011 at 06:20 PM..

Warrior Nation

WNxBalder
12-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Unregistered
#
If you are going in to melee devastators/havoks, the interrupt attack is key, particularly against lascannon and plasma cannon. Heavy bolters who are setup will kill you so don't try to hack em down unless you surprise them.

Warrior Nation
Secondary: Clash of Clans

United States WNxShaggy
03-21-2012, 12:48 PM
Local Time: 10:17 AM
Terminator Honors
ZOINKS!
The Plasma Pistol charged shot will break ASM and Tactical shields; sometimes it can break a Devastator's shield too, depending on Iron Halo or not.

In general, this provides a "cheap" but effective 2-shot kill for ASMs, but does take a fair bit of skill to pull off (well at least the charged shot sticky). Basically, you grab the death from above perk and the Plasma Pistol... you fire a charged shot at someone, then ground pound right on them. Typically this will kill them and they likely won't ever have a chance to kill you before the job is done.

Without air cooled thrusters, this tactic is good for 1v1 encounters or 1v2 where your ground pound kills the first opponent, damages the second opponent, then you finish off the second guy with either another ground pound or a few swings of your melee weapon. For larger groups of enemies, you'll probably just need to grab the hammer and multikill them after the first ground pound... or get outta there and come back with fresh boosters/HP.

Last edited by WNxShaggy; 03-21-2012 at 12:55 PM..

Warrior Nation

WNx Iceboxcooler
03-21-2012, 06:51 PM
Unregistered
#
Shaggy in your opinion o lord of the skies would you deign to impart your not inconsiderable knowledge in helping this poor groveling servitor to see whether the impenetrable perk is better than the death from above perk! I thank thee!

ps. I've got a fever a sore throat a cold and a headache so this is how I talk when I am sick

Warrior Nation

United States WNxShaggy
03-23-2012, 10:28 PM
Terminator Honors
ZOINKS!
In response to your question, Inpenetrable is the best ASM perk in my honest opinion. It should be taken over all else. Death from Above is more of a playstyle choice... of you like to groundpound and jump around a lot, then you might as well take it for the extra damage. For people preferring melee over ranged or excessive ground pounding should take a zeal perk to keep them in the fray longer. Alternatively, if you're looking to poach kills from a safe vantage point, then you might consider True Grit, or one of the pistol perks.

It comes down to what your playstyle is. The only non-negotiable perk is Inpenetrable. It is elite, use it. The only situation I'd forego this fantastic perk is during an "Assault Only" match, where explosives and melee damage dominate. That said, I've only ever played one of those... so it's rare to say the least.

Warrior Nation

WNx Iceboxcooler
03-24-2012, 05:52 AM
Unregistered
#
Thanks shaggy I shall do a bit of experimentation. I had once heard that the impenetrable perk is negligible. Very good Shaggy I shall take your advice.

Warrior Nation

United States WNxShaggy
03-24-2012, 12:45 PM
Terminator Honors
ZOINKS!
It's worth it just on account of the number of times its saved me from a melta. Melta will one-shot an ASM without Inpenetrable, but with the perk you'll survive with 3% HP.

Warrior Nation
Secondary: Titanfall (PC)

Philippines WNxFluttershy
03-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Local Time: 02:17 AM
Fun Fact Impenetrable increases your life by one bullet against on almost every range weapon. Yes even VL. >:3

But not a full blown plasma cannon charge sadly. But yes on ordinary plasma cannon fire.

The Bolter Pistol is my main weapon.
Currently in Titanfall (Hong Kong Server) Where I have the green ping advantage >:3

Warrior Nation

United States WNxShaggy
03-26-2012, 12:52 PM
Terminator Honors
ZOINKS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNXMeep View Post
Fun Fact Impenetrable increases your life by one bullet against on almost every range weapon. Yes even VL. >:3

But not a full blown plasma cannon charge sadly. But yes on ordinary plasma cannon fire.
Although I haven't tested this, it sounds about right. It is truely amazing how much this little extra bit of resilience can help though. I know there are devastators who forego Feel no Pain, or Iron Halo in some cases, as there may be other viable options available to them. With ASM though, it is my opinion that the extra durability is critical to competitive play.

Warrior Nation

03-26-2012, 10:16 PM
I've tested it with Rainbow Crash and pretty much one bullet.

We were all awe...just one bullet.

Take that noobs who thought impenetrable made us bulletproof!

Well technically bulleproof by one bullet anyway...

Currently in Titanfall (Hong Kong Server) Where I have the green ping advantage >:3

Warrior Nation

United States WNxShaggy
03-27-2012, 07:10 PM
Terminator Honors
ZOINKS!
Like one bullet from anything? I can understand it taking an extra PC volley or another VL round to kill someone, but what about something like the storm bolter, which has relatively weak individual bullets?

Warrior Nation

03-27-2012, 10:40 PM
Hmm...we did base most of it on head shots...heh guess we didn't consider it just based on ordinary fire of any other body part.

And we did get lazy with the plasma pistol and just based it on charged plasma shots =='

And oh yah...I forgot about storm bolter...

Well here's what we tested as a one bullet less also most are on headshot

Melta - on extreme close range it only does 50% shield damage and I do mean close to the point of touching close.

Bolter with Kraken

Heavy Bolter

VL

Las Canon - both for headshot and anywhere else

Plasma Cannon - ordinary fire

Bolter Pistol - close range and not a headshot for obvious reason

Plasma Pistol - Only the charge

Stalker Bolter - Close range since we found out extreme range really does lessen its damage. In a side note we discovered that Rapid fire is a waste of bullets if fired from said extreme range since the second shot becomes a glancing shot sometimes and headshot wise even at mid range with tac or asm without impenetrable it takes 2 bullets for a non rapid shot perked stalker bolter while rapid fire takes 4 bullets...well actually I know the 3rd bullet would kill but eh it's rapid fire. If Asm with Impenetrable 3 shots for non perked and 4 bullets for rapid but based on time and adjustment better to use the ordinary bolter in terms of mid and long range distance shots.

I'll be damned we also didnt test the plasma rifle...

So yah...guess it might not be a one bullet save for every ranged weapon. Sorry about that ^^

Last edited by WNxFluttershy; 03-27-2012 at 11:23 PM..

Warrior Nation

United States WNxShaggy
03-27-2012, 11:19 PM
Terminator Honors
ZOINKS!
Oh no worries... I have never tested it, so I was curious. I do appreciate the explanation though

Closed Thread