Thread: Internet disconnections, lag with new ISP
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Primary: Neverwinter
Warrior Nation

Canada WNx Lucalain
03-12-2012, 07:20 AM
Local Time: 09:30 AM
WoW Characters
Hmm-hm, Kandy Khorne
Internet disconnections, lag with new ISP
I just had to change my ISP, and I took the package that was the most similar to my old one because I was pretty pleased with it, but now I have a problem.

I got a new modem that plugs into the phone socket (the little light calls it DSL), and for some reason it keeps disconnecting from the internet and my games lag so bad that I can't even finish a round (when I try to move in Blacklight Retribution and Super Monday Night Combat, I keep getting lag-warped back, and when I let go of the keys my character moves on its own). Due to circumstance, I have to plug my modem about 5 inches from my refrigerator and connect it to my computer through wireless. At first I thought the fridge might be causing interference, but then I moved the modem as far as it would go to about 3 feet and a couple of inches from it, and it still disconnected once in the hour of chatting I had left before I had to go (no gaming), although the phone socket itself and power cord are still right next to the fridge.

I used to be on wireless before this with a cable internet provider, and everything worked fine with no fridge around.

The alternative to this ISP would be to sign up with another cable provider, and in that case I wouldn't have to plug the modem next to the fridge but I'd still have to use wireless.

Could my refrigerator be causing enough interference to disconnect me every 20-30 minutes, or is the problem somewhere else?

If Jack-O'-Lantern helped you off a broomstick,
would you help Jack-O'-Lantern off a broomstick?

Warrior Nation

WNxIce
03-12-2012, 08:39 PM
Unregistered
#
If your telephone line is next to the fridge plug then yes it can cause interference on the phone line. Do you hear static whhen you test the line with a phone?

2nd problem could be bad wires between the phone jack and the phone box outside. Call up your ISP to get a service call going. This will be your best option for now. DSL Connections must have good wiring.

Also do not use no more then 20ft of Phone cable from the jack to the modem. The more cable you use, the more speed you lose.

Warrior Nation

Canada WNx Lucalain
03-12-2012, 09:40 PM
WoW Characters
Hmm-hm, Kandy Khorne
I called tech support today and they told me to try a few things. Moving the modem farther away and using a different power outlet didn't help, but connecting my PC to the modem with an ethernet cable did. The problem with this is that my computer has to sit on my kitchen table with wires spreading all around the dining room, which is not ideal. The disconnections and awful lag are gone, but I'd like to be able to put my computer back in the office where it belongs. Keep the suggestions coming.

Warrior Nation

United States WNxWhiteWolf
03-13-2012, 03:37 PM
Local Time: 08:30 AM
WoW Characters
.: Textbox :.
You're likely on a congested wireless frequency, changing channels on it may help; however there are a number of things that exist in a kitchen that can cause severe WiFi problems.

Click the image to open in full size.
Wolves do not bark.

Warrior Nation

Canada WNx Lucalain
03-13-2012, 03:49 PM
WoW Characters
Hmm-hm, Kandy Khorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxWhiteWolf View Post
You're likely on a congested wireless frequency, changing channels on it may help
Those 1 to 11 channel things, right? I was told long ago to always use either the first or last, because they wouldn't overlap with the other channels as much. However, I couldn't find any sort of channel selection in my modem's settings menu or my computer, and the instruction manual didn't mention this at all.

I know there are a few other wireless networks in range of my computer. Excluding mine, they tend to fluctuate between 2 to 5 of them that my machine detects. Could this have an impact?

Warrior Nation

United States WNxWhiteWolf
03-13-2012, 03:52 PM
Local Time: 08:30 AM
WoW Characters
.: Textbox :.
Any wireless device has to have a way to change that setting, though I can't assist you without knowing specifics of device models etc.

Using 1 and 11 are generally good advice, since the default is 6 and is usually what people leave it on. At my house, my primary AP runs on channel 5 -- the carrier busy tests show that it's the least congested for me. Even though it's not one of the few non-overlapping channels, it has the least chance of interference where I am. Unless you have the equipment or software to measure it though; 1, 3, 6, 9, 11 are the centers usually suggested with 1, 6, 11 having the most isolation.

Yes, it can have an impact.

Click the image to open in full size.
Wolves do not bark.

Warrior Nation

Canada WNx Lucalain
03-20-2012, 06:53 PM
WoW Characters
Hmm-hm, Kandy Khorne
I had a handyman look at my phone socket. He said he could "move" the plug by running a phone cable from it, along the walls, and all the way to the far end of the house to the office. He estimated it would take 50 feet of phone wire to do this. Is this too long?

I'm going to try the wireless again, to see if it works. This time, though, the computer is in the dining room, right next to the modem. That's not where I was it to be.

Warrior Nation

WNxIce
03-23-2012, 03:46 PM
Unregistered
#
The wiring in the wall is fine. It is the RJ11 Phone cord needs to be within 20ft from the wall outlet to the modem. I would recommend having the handy man find the phone cord outside of the building and extend that phone cable from that split cable to the office. This is if you live in your own house. If this is an apartment then yes try to get him run that cable to the office room and go from there to see if that will resolve the issue.

The reason being is that it would be a lot easier to drill a hole from the outside and use that cable from the kitchen and re-route it to the office. This is if you own a house.

I did phone outlet install work in the past and normally I do this route if its a house because it will be cheaper for me to charge the customer to install a new outlet from outside then extending that cable inside the home.

Remember this is if it's a house you live in. if its an apartment then pretty much the plan should work just fine by adding that extended cable from the kitchen to the office.

Warrior Nation

Canada WNx Lucalain
03-23-2012, 06:28 PM
WoW Characters
Hmm-hm, Kandy Khorne
I brought the computer back to the office and tried different wireless channels and it didn't work. Then I brought it back to the dining room but left it on wireless (instead of wired like before) and it works just as good as wired. I figure there must be something interfering with the modem between the dining room and the office. It's about ten meters away in a straight line, but there is a mess of walls and the laundry machines in the way.

Warrior Nation

WNxIce
03-23-2012, 09:22 PM
Unregistered
Seems that there are some severe interference between the kitchen and your office like Whitewolf stated.

You be better off moving that phone line to the office and or getting a better router that has a better wireless capability from interference