Thread: Tutorials Index
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags
Tags
None
Closed Thread

Warrior Nation

WNxPPK
03-19-2012, 05:54 AM
Unregistered
#
Important
Tutorials Index
TUTORIALS
FOR MEMBER, BY MEMBERS

This post lists all the tutorials created by GAT members and community members alike. They are divided by degree of difficulty for ease-of-use. If you'd like to submit a tutorial, click here to post a new thread and follow the guidelines listed here. All the tutorials were made for Photoshop but most, if not all the techniques and/or instructions present in them can be applied to other image editing programs as well.

BEGINNER

INTERMEDIATE
Vector Set Tutorial
by Liquid

Filterization Tutorial
by BlitzWarTank

Multi-colouring
by DiGiTaL

ADVANCED

Last edited by WNxZenVee; 08-28-2013 at 04:42 PM..

Warrior Nation

Canada WNxZenVee
09-05-2013, 12:58 PM
Local Time: 12:36 PM
AWP Master™
Tutorial Archive
Click the image to open in full size.

This will be the place where old tutorials go to rest.

Intermediate: VHalen's Tech Style Tutorial by: WNxVendetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxVendetta
Tutorial Name
VHalen's Tech Style
Creator
WNxVendetta/VHALEN
Link to Resources
None.
Tutorial
Link to the tutorial
Part 1
Part 2
Credits
WNxVendetta/VHALEN

Intermediate: Simple Text Tutorial 2 By: WNxRabidChicken
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxRabidChicken View Post
This is my second text tutorial, the first one is so old I didn't even bother to look it up. But it looks to simple so let us try to step it up a little bit and do something even better yet so simple .

I know many of us here struggle to add texts on signatures to be specific. Hopefully, with this tutorial, you'll learn how to make your text fit your sig.

This signature:
Look at the text, that is what you'll learn after reading this tutorial. I'm using Photoshop CS3.

I'll use a gray canvas.

Step 1: Choose a simple font (the pic below, I used Impact). Change the color of your font to White (not totally white, something really close to white but not totally white). You can add a few shade of any color of your desire.

Make two line of texts just like what I did above, make it close to each other.

Step 2: Select your text layers, then right click the layers, click Rasterize Type.

Then merge your two layers of texts.

Step 3: Duplicate your merged text layers, grab the one beneath/under the other one, press "V" or just click your Move Tool. Press down your Down Arrow Key on your keyboard once (sometimes twice will also do). Now, press Ctrl + U, decrease the Lightness to 0.

(I made the background slightly lighter so you can see the black text layer)

Step 4: Now go to Google images, search 'lens flare' and look for a horizontal lens flare image with black background. Put your lens flare pic on the top of your layer's list, you'll see a drop down slightly above your layer's list with 'Normal'. Click that, change it to Screen, you'll notice that all of the black areas of your lens flare pic will disappear. Put the lens flare on the middle of the text just like what I did below.

*You can change the color of the lens flare by pressing Ctrl + U, play with the Hue.

Step 5: So basically, your lens flare layer will disappear in a completely bright signature or background, so if you'll use this trick, be sure to use it on dark areas on your sig. Now grab your Burn Tool (choose a small soft brush), darken the side areas of your white text layer. Then, use the Dodge Tool and make the middle area a bit more brighter. Merge your white and black text layers, grab your Sharpen Tool, sharpen your merged text layer.

Step 6: Add it to your sig. In my case, I'll make it smaller of course. I'll use the same Batman sig (because I'm too bored to make a new one) and see if it will fit. I changed the color of my lens flare to fit my sig's theme color.

Well it did kinda fit lol.

So if you tried this, you can post your work here, and of course your questions .

Intermediate: Quids vector tutorial by: WNxTeutonic
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxTeutonic View Post
People were asking about it so yeah.

Tutorial Name
Quids vector tutorial
Creator
WNxTeutonic/Liquid
Link to Resources
None.
Tutorial
Link to the tutorial
Link to large version
Credits
WNxTeutonic/Liquid

Intermediate: Lil Dragon Tag Tutorial By: WNxBlitzWarTank
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxBlitzWarTank View Post
Tutorial Name
Lil Dragon Tag Tutorial
Creator
WNxBlitzWarTank
Link to Resources
Render
Floral brushes
Textures
Tutorial
Link to the tutorial
http://blitzwartank.deviantart.com/art/Lil-Dragon-Tag-Tutorial-95786747
Credits
WNxBlitzWarTank

+Newbies' Guide
Where can I find 'Apply Image?'
It's at the toolbar, Image > Apply Image...

What is soft brush?
Set the brush hardness to 0%

Experiment, customize it! You don't have to follow every single steps exactly...
USE YOUR IMAGINATION!

Other outcomes: Using stock images
- smudging of background
- lighting effects filter removed
- extra gradient maps

- smudging of background

Intermediate: Filterization Tutorial By: WNxBlitzWarTank
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxBlitzWarTank View Post
I was experimenting my own ways of making a quick sig and looks like I did it =)

Tutorial Name
Filterization Tutorial
Creator
WNxBlitzWarTank
Link to Resources
None.
Tutorial
Link to the tutorial
http://blitzwartank.deviantart.com/art/Filterization-Tutorial-78984679
Credits
WNxBlitzWarTank

Give yourself around 10 minutes to work on it and post your outcomes here. My first tut btw and hope it's newbie-friendly xD.

Beginner: Smudge tutorial! +How to Stroke, How to blend By: WNxWarlord
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxWarlord View Post
Tutorial Name
Smudge tutorial! +How to Stroke, How to blend
Creator
WNxWarlord
Link to Resources
None.
Tutorial
Link to the tutorial
Link to larger version
Credits
WNxWarlord

What to do if the smudging didn't fill all the space?
You can just move the render to the side and smudge it there too, just experiment!

Beginner: Sig Tut By: WNxMadaa
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxMadaa View Post
Soo, Was bored made a VERY SIMPLE signature tut.. basically for beginners who just want to learn how to make a clearn looking signature. Only a few effects in here. Not currently what I do now but still good looking.
Tutorial Name
Sig Tut
Creator
WNxMadaa
Link to Resources
None.
Tutorial
Link to the tutorial
Link to larger version
Credits
WNxMadaa

Beginner: River Tam set in Photoshop By: WNxPPK

The present tutorial was made using Adobe Photoshop CS3.
It assumes you have a decent knowledge of Adobe Photoshop,
such as working with layers, working with layer masks,
using the blur and brush tools and modifying the presets, etc.

This tutorial doesn't aim to teach a specific technique; instead, it aims to pass on the knowledge of how to properly organize your file so you can combine all three images of the set into one: the base, the avatar and the signature. Besides this, it can teach you a few tricks here and there, like using levels, adjustment layers, layer masks and adding a bit of text. Anyway, let's get started.

First, we need to get ourselves an image, or stock, as it is called. I chose this one; it's a bit on the big side but we'll resize it. After downloading it, open it in Photoshop. Afterwards, open a new document and set the sizes to 400x150 (width and height, respectively) while leaving the rest at their default values. To speed up this process, you can create a preset that stores the information (dimensions, color mode, resolution, etc.) to make it easier to create a new document. To do so, enter the parameters you want and click Save Preset. Name it and the next time you want to make a similar image, it's only a matter of selecting the corresponding preset from the drop down menu.

Fig.1 - creating a new document (notice my preset and the parameters)

Now that we have both documents open, move the stock to your new blank document. Resize it to taste and rename the layer to River (original). It's important to keep your layers organized and to name them accordingly. Next, duplicate the River (original) layer and rename it to River (base). Hide the River (original) layer; this is so we always have a backup of the base layer in case we screw things up.

Fig.2 - the stock, after being positioned and my Layers palette.

It's time to work on the River (base) layer. Go to Filters>Sharpen and press Sharpen. This removes some of the blurriness of the original but doesn't sharpen it enough to have jagged edges. Next, add a Brightness/Contrast adjustment layer with the following parameters:
  • Brightness: +15
  • Contrast: +55
These are the values I chose because they are the ones I think looked good; you can play around with the sliders until you like the result. The goal here was to, as you might have guessed, add more contrast to the image and lighten it up a bit. Nothing special so far.
Add another adjustment layer, this time a Levels one. Leave the black at 0 and set the gray and white to 0,95 and 250, respectively. Next, select the River (base) layer and duplicate it; call the duplicate layer River (blur) and then apply a Gaussian Blur (2,0px) on it. Move it above the two adjustment layers we created before and change its blending mode to Soft Light with 100% opacity.
Add another adjustment layer, this time a Hue/Saturation one: set the Saturation to +15 and the Lightness to +3, leaving all the other options at their default values.

Fig.3 - the current look of the set and my Layers palette.

Create a new layer and using a 300px soft white brush (at 10% strength), brush around the top right of the image; we're creating a light source because that's where the light comes from in the original image, thus the top right corner should be a bit brighter than the rest. Make sure you don't make it too bright, for starters. Then, rename the layer to Light and set its blend mode to Lighten at 40% opacity and 85% fill.
Now, get back to the River (base) and, with a soft blur brush that's not too big (I used a 64px one), set the strength to 10% and blur her hands and around the hair a little bit so her face gains more focus. Duplicate this layer again and name it River (flare): add a Lens Flare filter at 85% brightness (50-300mm Zoom) and then set this layer's opacity to 75% and the fill to 85%. Select the River (base) layer and add another Hue/Saturation adjustment layer, this time setting the saturation to +40 while leaving the rest at their default values.

It's time to add a photo filter in yet another adjustment layer. Choose Sepia and set the density to 85%. Make sure this one stays above the Light layer. As you can see, the adjustment layers already have a layer mask. Select it and, using a small soft brush (10% opacity - I used a 21px one), select black as your foreground colour (full black - 000000), brush her face till the colours there seem more saturated (until you see a little black blob on the layer mask, if you will). The foreground and background colours should automatically change when you select the layer mask but in case you had it set to something else, change it.

Fig.4 - the image so far and my layers palette.

Next, we'll use a special brush to add a small, almost unnoticeable shine to the image. Create the brush following the first 3 steps of this tutorial and then select your brush tool. Set the opacity to 10% and mess around with the brush preset settings. I used the following:
  • Diameter: 50px
  • Spacing: 116%
  • Size Jitter: 100%
  • Minimum diameter: 53%
  • Scattering: Both Axes, 482%
  • Count: 2
  • Count Jitter: 62%
  • Opacity Jitter: 44%
  • Flow Jitter: 19%
  • Smoothing (should be on by default)
Create a new layer right below the Light layer and brush away with your new brush, but don't brush too much! Just do it softly, on top of River and on the left side, where the sky is. Once you're done, add a 1px Gaussian Blur filter to this layer and set its blending mode to Color Dodge (opacity - 80%; fill - 90%). Rename this layer to Bubbles

We're almost done. I added some text using the font we see in the title credits in Firefly (the serif font to which the handwritten one fades to - if you're a fan, you know which one it is) and wrote the following sentence: no power in the 'verse can stop her. Exactly like that; no capital letters. I didn't write it all in one line; instead, I broke the sentence in fragments (no power/in the/'verse/can stop her) and set all text to 12px except the word verse, which I set to 16px to highlight it. I coloured the whole sentence in #ffeedd and the highlighted word in #341a00. The apostrophe was set to a size of 24px to make it a bit bigger but not too big (and coloured with the same colour as the word verse).

The way you arrange the text is entirely up to you; the way I did will be shown below. I grouped my text in a group (duh!) to make it easier to move around. I then changed the group's blending mode to Hard Light with 75% opacity.

Now that we have the text, it's time to give the finishing touch by adding a border. Create another layer below the Light layer and, using the Rectangle Tool, create a 400px per 4px rectangle (set the dimensions in the Geometry options. Make a selection (0px feather) and move it to the top of the image (and center it, while you're at it). Set your foreground colour to #fce4d5 and, using the Paint Bucket Tool, fill the selection. Move the selection to the bottom center and fill it again. Your border is done and so is your image!

Fig.5 - the final image and my current Layers palette.

It's now time to organize the file. We have an image that can serve as a base for a WN set and it's positioned quite conveniently. To make a all-in-one, create a group and call it Base. Select all your layers (except the River (original) layer) and drag them inside the group. Now duplicate the group twice and name the new groups Avatar and Signature, respectively.

You can rename the layers inside the groups, if you want. I didn't do it because it's not necessary. To make the respective pieces (the avatar or the signature), it's only a matter of hiding all groups but the one you're working on (if you're working on the avatar, leave the Avatar group visible...), resizing the canvas to the dimensions you want and then moving the group around using the Move tool, if necessary. You may need to redo the border on the signature, if you feel inclined.

Beginner: My Tutorials By: WNxLawliet
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxLawliet
Just thought I'd give out my tutorials for some signatures I made 3 years ago or something.

Click the image to open in full size. Click to view
Click the image to open in full size.Click to view

Click the image to open in full size.Click to View

Text Tutorial

Smudge Settings

I'll also add some of my resources.

Render Sites(May require registration)

Planetrenders (Requires registration)
Sneakybaron's Render Index

This site below is very helpful to people.
Peewee1002's Awesome Site (Tutorials, psds, c4d's, stocks, etc)

Last edited by WNxZenVee; 09-05-2013 at 01:56 PM..

Attack him when he's unprepared. Appear where you are not expected. -Sun Tzu's Art of War.

Closed Thread