Thread: Faster than a speeding letter: Monitor problem
View Who's Online
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)

Primary: Neverwinter
Warrior Nation

Canada WNx Lucalain
03-12-2012, 07:50 AM
Local Time: 09:11 PM
WoW Characters
Stay in school
Faster than a speeding letter: Monitor problem
My brother's monitor has a problem where everything displayed spreads light to the side. I don't know what you'd call it, but it looks like everything contrasting on the screen has motion lines to the right, as if they were speeding towards the left. The monitor has been doing this almost since he got it about four years ago. I don't really know what else I can tell you, because it's my brother's machine, not mine. Would anyone have some idea what this is and how we can fix it?

Warrior Nation

WNxEleanor
03-12-2012, 12:08 PM
Unregistered
#
Oh It's quite easy.

Carefully unscrew the 6 screws in the back of you monitor

Take away the cover carefully.

You will see two white cables coming from the cop right connected to a board chip,

cut them 2 centimetres from their base.

Carefully remove a centimetre of protective coating from those tow cables pointlessly,

I just wrote this so that you think it's legit, your monitor is now broken, go buy a new one.

On a serious note, why now, after four years? Give more precise information, such as the dimensions, is it CRT, LCD, plasma, magical or whichever, and what does it exactly do, images from the left side appear as faint lights on the right side?

Most of the time, when a part of your computer is broken , all you can do is replace it. I wish I has a nanoforge

Last edited by WNxEleanor; 03-12-2012 at 12:16 PM..

Warrior Nation

WNxIce
03-12-2012, 09:37 PM
Unregistered
#
Need to know what brand your brother has and if its a LCD Screen. Does this problem effect the whole screen or just the sides? If its just the sides then that might be normal since you stated he had the problem for over 4 years since he got the monitor

Warrior Nation

Canada WNx Lucalain
03-12-2012, 10:52 PM
WoW Characters
Stay in school
It's on the whole screen. See the attached picture for an example. It affects everything on the screen that has a minimum of contrast with the background. For smilies on this site, a greyish-white "shadow" appears right next to the actual smiley. With text, the "shadow" looks like motion lines, not on the right side of the screen, but to the immediate right of the letters.

I'll try to find out what kind of monitor it is next time I see my brother.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg motion lines example.jpg (5.1 KB, 18 views)

Warrior Nation

United States WNxWhiteWolf
03-13-2012, 04:47 PM
WoW Characters
.: Textbox :.
It's usually a manufacturing defect that's fixed under warranty service. There's nothing you can do to fix it without quite bit of electronics knowledge.

Click the image to open in full size.
Wolves do not bark.

Warrior Nation

Canada WNx Lucalain
03-13-2012, 04:57 PM
WoW Characters
Stay in school
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNxWhiteWolf View Post
It's usually a manufacturing defect that's fixed under warranty service. There's nothing you can do to fix it without quite a bit of electronics knowledge.
I'll see if my brother is still under warranty.

I've seen my brother "fix" the issue temporarily by grabbing the monitor and moving it slightly, but in my recent experience with this, it doesn't seem too reliable.

I still don't know what type of display it is, but I know it's a Dell and it's thin, so not CRT. Watch for edits.

Edit: Brother himself says he doesn't know what kind of monitor it is.

Edit: He says it's an LCD, but despite my guidance he can't use his computer right and find any of the many places where monitor info is listed. He called it Monitor/del4014.

Last edited by WNx Lucalain; 03-13-2012 at 05:43 PM..

Warrior Nation

WNxEleanor
03-13-2012, 05:47 PM
Unregistered
#
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNx Lucalain View Post
I've seen my brother "fix" the issue temporarily by grabbing the monitor and moving it slightly, but in my recent experience with this, it doesn't seem too reliable.
We now know the Detect is the monitor itself, not the video card, not the drivers, not the bios, solely the monitor. If what he said is true.

Last edited by WNxEleanor; 03-13-2012 at 05:52 PM..

Warrior Nation

WNxIce
03-13-2012, 07:23 PM
Unregistered
#
That tells me he has a dell monitor which is a LCD thin monitor. They do make their monitors very thin. This is a monitor defect. Does he have a dell system?

I would call dell if its still under warranty

Warrior Nation

WNxEleanor
03-13-2012, 07:45 PM
Unregistered
#
I wonder if it has "Accident" coverage,if you know what I mean.

Warrior Nation

WNxIce
03-14-2012, 05:28 PM
Unregistered
If it has accident coverage I highly doubt its in service since he stated he had this monitor for over 3 years. Unless he has outside coverage like square trade