Secondary: Minecraft

Belgium WNxTwhiz
08-18-2011, 02:58 PM
Local Time: 05:05 PM
Cookie.?
Woodcutting - Easy and Nice looking Treefarm
Click the image to open in full size.
Treefarm Tutorial

As I have had a few people admiring my treefarm in the server and since I've been improving on it I thought I'd make a quick tutorial showing you how to build a better version of the treefarm I have now next to my mill.

For this tutorial I've loaded up a flatgrass map and used some client mods to give me some items.

Why a treefarm?

The most obvious reason for a treefarm is of course that a minecrafter can't live without wood since you can turn them into a lot of items and coal.
But it can also be used to collect saplings and leafs.
My treefarm is made especially to improve on those last 2. You wont need to run around gathering saplings or leafs any more since my farm will collect them for you and bring them to the final gathering point.
So unless you use an inv edit, in which case I don't see a point for a treefarm or any kind of farm, this treefarm will help you out!

In my tutorial I'll be making space for only 4 trees, it will look very big but in my opinion, if you gather the trees every time they grow you will have enough.
And if you really want to you can just expand it every 4, just keep in mind if you want to make it go to 1 collection area you will need to make it higher for the tubes.

The basics

As basics I've "drawn" a scheme of my treefarm in the ground with wool.

It will also be about 14 blocks high (including the trees).

So what is what?
The RED wool will show you a walkway through the trees.
The YELLOW wool will show you the pads where trees will grow (4pads = 4 trees)
The GREEN wool will show you some extra room where you can build, like I will (for the end result) build a walkway to make it look nice.
The BLACK/WHITE border is just so you guys can count blocks easier

Things you might need to build this.
You might want to bring a lot more planks as well.
some blocks of your choice to give the treefarm a personal touch.
The dirt will be used to plant the trees on (4 dirt), but if you want to use regular trees you will need to bring some more AND the glass.
You will need basic tools (obviously) for if you make any mistakes or just for making the farm.

Building the farm

So let's start building!
Start off by placing down your workbench and make an infinite pool of water. You might also want to place a bed next to you since you might go through 1 or 2 nights while building this.

And then we start off by drawing the outlines of the farm leaving 1 spot open for the collection point.
Then make a "tube" starting from the middle to the gap you left open.
Place a pressure plate in front of the gap and put a watersource in the middle of the farm.
This will make part of your gathering system.
Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

We go up 1 layer and make another ring of wood.
It's time to start our inner ring! Build a ring about the center stream and expand that ring with 2 more blocks.
It should look like this:

Add a sign in the middle and higher make a border on the inner ring (2nd expansion of the ring)
You might want to add a door on the back and add some torches inside so that it can't interfere with any mobsystems around.

Now place water in the 4 corners of your inner ring to make sure your items will flow to the other stream.
If you didn't place the sign of the last step your water might get messed up and it might not work.

Now the next layer will be the tree pads, I decided to take another block (sandstone) to make it look good.
You might also add in some glowstone so you can see some when it's night.
The pads are 5x5 with the corners cut out on the center.
After you placed them just fill in the center cross and the borders.

We're almost there!
Now we need to place a dirtblock above the pads with 1 space of air between the pad itself and the dirt. The trees/saplings will go on there.

You also have to decide if you want normal trees or birch (pine doesn't work).
If you want regular trees you have to place glass blocks 8 blocks above the dirt.
If you don't do this your trees will grow too high and out of own experience I know people are to lazy to cut it all down.

Now we add in waterblocks in the outer corner of the pad on the opposite side of the hole.
After that you want to add trapdoors to the dirtblock to stand on to cut down your trees.
If you make this into regular blocks saplings and leafs will fall ON THEM and will not go to the gather.

Now add your saplings and you are done

Final result & Download link

Here you can see an image of the final result of the tree farm.
Make sure you add a way up and down safely (like ladders or maybe stairs).

You can download this map here: http://www.mediafire.com/?3m9kqbltirmz9bm
Test it out and see how it looks.

Make sure to leave feedback and rate my thread!

Look at my Bard, my Bard is amazing!