Warrior Nation Blogs Warrior Nation Experience It!
[CENTER][IMG]http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv187/Horizon22/avatar41246_11.jpg[/IMG]

[B][I][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]Hey everyone. I'm Horizon, Hori, or just David and I've been a WN member for over 5 years now and I've seen a lot of changes, throughout a variety of positions, ranks and structures and have made a good deal of friends. I'd like to say I've got the experience to talk on topics with some authority.

I bring you this blog to talk about unique things, new ideas and maybe bring highlight to things you might not have thought about before.

So yes, I hope you find this interesting. Other than that, keep gaming / trolling / lurking / working.

[COLOR="Gray"]-Hori--[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/B][/CENTER]
Rate this Entry

Flawed (II)

Posted 09-11-2010 at 01:14 PM by WNxHorizon
Look I continued something, how good am I :P. Anyway continuing on from the first part, I'm going to discuss a few other issues now. Please note, that this is not some trashtalk about WN, just some thoughts to consider. I still enjoy WN deeply however, nothing is ever perfect.

What I'm going to discuss today is over complication. Now in a clan with over 1000 members, clearly you are going to need some forum of structure in order to organise the vast number of members there are that are moving in and out of WN and within various part of WN. However, some of these things can indeed be classified as unnecessarily bureaucratic.

[B]The Scriptorium -[/B] Now this is supposedly a tracking service so we can see who is going from one section to another. However, the confusion it causes can be very difficult to organise. Sometimes people move around without making a script anyway, making the whole thing very redundant. People get confused about the 30 days role, something that GMs and Majors (even various admins) don't know about and/or forget about. People forget to move scripts to where they are supposed to be, they can be left for weeks unattended, and nobody knows when they should be closing the thread. I understand they are useful tools for the roster, however as I will move onto later, rosters themselves are often very outdated. I'd discuss how to deal with this in a later blog, because it pretty much involves abandoning the current primary system to make things easier for everyone. Not to mention it adds extra time on the forums.

[B]Vouchers -[/B] I don't have much of an issue here, other than the fact that WN is different to almost every clan out there, is that we have no sub-member level. Most clans have just people who are able to signup, and view the forums, without necessarily 'becoming' full WN members. However, that's another random idea

[B]Rosters -[/B] These are a great utility, it can show you who's in the section and what rank they are holding. However anyone will tell you that they can be a hassle to update, especially if it hasn't been done for a long time, and then you need someone who won't start double BB coding, etc etc. At the end of the day, they are a bigger annoyance for sectional leadership than they are helpful. I would probably propose that you have a leadership roster, with AS, Major/GM, Captain/HG, MP and any Sgt. Majors on it and then you just have an IGN list for all other members.

[B]Rank Definitions -[/B] If you go onto the 'Rank' page you will find the longest page full of some of the most dull stuff ever. If you're weird (like me), then you won't have much issue with it, but explaining it too a new member (or even an experienced one), can instantly bore them and turn them away.

Stuff like this is just confusing and far too wordy.

[QUOTE]Responsibilities:[LIST][*]Encourage and provide motivation of team dynamics with all ranks and members within their section.[*]PvE event planning, organization and execution within RPG.[*]Roster upkeep (or other various forum "paperwork" jobs).[*]General sectional leadership (as assigned by the Major/GM) of MP/RG, section journalists, field ranks etc).[*]During short or long term absences the FO Captain/HG assumes the primary role of the section leadership and temporarily inherits Major/GM oversight responsibilities of BO/Recon or other Captain/HG's classifications as applicable.[*]Approving vouchers when (or if) assigned.[*]Assumes all duties and responsibilities of the MP when no MP is appointed[/LIST][/QUOTE]

It would be simpler to just say something like

[QUOTE][LIST][*]The FO Captain/HG acts as the deputy leader for the section[*]They carry out tasks which may be handed out to them by the Major[*]Assumes forum management duties[*]If the Major/GM is temporarily absent, the FO Capt/HG fills in that role[/LIST][/QUOTE]

The Legislative Chamber in particular has the most confusing set of rules and information that I have seen anywhere in a gaming clan. For those of you who can't see inside it, the LC is basically a forum where ideas can be brought up, modified and then eventually voted on to be brought back to the WN public. Ok, sure it needs some rules but it doesn't need to be so extensive which just leads to utter confusion, and non-involvement. This is a clan, not Congress.

[B]Laws -[/B] We have 10 of these, and they are far too often adhered to very closely, especially by some admins. Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating an anarchy, however they are again in my mind a little too extensive, and confusing for ordinary members. 95% of the people in WN will never need to get involved with them, so why are there so many and so broad. We do need to cover every eventuality, however you look in the IS, and there are tickets based on three main laws; Laws 1, 2 + 6. Again the law definitions are very complicated here and shoule be simplified.
Law 1 - Don't hack or cheat in anyway
Law 2 - Don't multiclan for a WN supported game
Law 6 - Be respectful to all WN and public members.

Law 3 - This isn't really a law, just some general info
Law 4 - Far too strict and too hard to enforce.
Law 5 - Again not really a law, more general info but perhaps useful
Law 7 - Can be added to a law on general member duties
Law 8 - Can be added to a law on general member duties
Law 9 - Far too confusing and bureaucratic.
Law 10 - Fair enough ;)

The Policies are essentially more useful general information where many of these can go.

[B]Procedures -[/B] Its hard to go into details here, but various departments have their procedures. While some indeed help organise and set up standard, many are just a little uneeded. They happen all across WN and many have complained that WN is getting much worse at this sort of thing and becoming less 'fun'. I can't really comment because its been like this since I joined (Nov 08), but many members who have been here 4 or 5 years back, say that there's definitely more hoops to jump through.

That's my little speech about overcomplication. I plan to have two or three, maybe more blogs, so feel free to keep a look out ;)
[B][I][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][COLOR="Gray"]-Hori--[/COLOR][/FONT][/I][/B]
Posted in Uncategorized
Views 3730 Comments 2 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry

« Flawed.     Main     Closing Blog. »

Total Comments 2

Comments

1. Old
    I enjoyed reading your simplified rank description :P
    Posted 09-11-2010 at 02:46 PM by
  2. Old
    I'm just new 2 WN and I do still find it quite confusing to navigate but the guys here are very helpful and have send me link's thx guy's ;)
    Posted 09-12-2010 at 06:32 PM by