Warrior Nation Blogs Warrior Nation Experience It!
Rate this Entry

What is with people?!

Posted 12-27-2010 at 03:16 PM by WNxFallen
Updated 12-27-2010 at 03:21 PM by WNxFallen
I used to frequent the official League of Legends forums; and when I say frequent, I mean I was there nearly 75% of the time I was at work. They were fun, engaging forums with a lot of interaction from Riot and members of their team.

That was about 3 months ago; flash forward to the present day. Their forums are full of e-crap and people whining about this and that, nitpicking every little thing about the game, insulting each other, and just general asshatery. What happened...?! Did LoL get popular enough that the people from HoN and DotA came over and brought all the internet rejects with them? Lately, you can't even get a post in without a "lolknub" or something of the like from a halfwit troll who thinks their funny because they saw someone else post that.

The sad part is, this is not the first time I've noticed things like this. I used to run a Guild Wars fansite of nearly 100k people, and every once and a while we'd get an influx of people like those mentioned above. They didn't last long in our community, and our site eventually got labeled as the "care bear community" because we took such a firm stand on idiocy and such.

Now, I've started playing Call of Duty: Black Ops on the XBox 360, and I see the same thing there; people just acting like complete morons and asshats because we can't tell who they are. I play a lot with my brother-in-law, who is pretty good, but still has his bad games. He was called a nerd because he had 6 days of time in on the game already, no big deal. But, then others chimed in, saying how he's not so good, his prestige means nothing, etc. What did he do? He talked a little smack before the match, then proceeded to completely roll over their team, going something like 28 kills and 5 deaths. After the game, most of the shit-talkers immediately left, because he had completely mauled them.

Why did they leave? Because he completely demolished their team? Because they had to go help mommy with something? Because they were so embarrassed that they didn't want to stick around to hear the backlash and us laughing at them? We'll never know, but this string of questions brings several others to mind...

Does the anonymity of the internet really drive people to be so stupid? Or are they like this in every aspect of their lives, and it just comes out more over the internet? Don't get me wrong, I'll smack talk a bit here and there, but that's nothing different from what I do in real life. Truth be told, I probably do it more in person than over the internet, because I know for a fact that I have a better chance to back it up face to face than over the internet. But, people spouting playful smack talk seem to be the minority while those who sound like complete idiots run rampant.

Is it the anonymity that makes them act this way? Is it the fact that they've just had some bad experiences in the past? Are they quick to anger in real life too? Do they literally insult everyone they meet in real life? Because if they did, I'm sure they either a) wouldn't be around too long, depending on who they insulted, b) would be in jail if it went to far or c) wouldn't have many friends at all.

I really wish I knew the answer to several of these questions, or at least know what's going through peoples' heads when they decide to trash talk someone they know nothing about and have no idea how good or bad they are. And I'd love to meet several of these people face to face, talk to them for a while, have a good, fun time, then say "Oh yea, by the way... I was the one who kicked your ass on CoD: Black Ops the other day. What do you have to say to me now?" just to see the look on their face and hear the words to come out of their mouth. With no Mask of Anonymity +9001, I can only imagine how that would go.
Views 5348 Comments 4 Edit Tags Email Blog Entry

Main     "Gamers" »

Total Comments 4

Comments

1. Old
    Hmm interesting read. Though troll/basher type gamers have always been around, I think it's becoming a fad. While I had my xbox live on the fps games especially, about half of the lobbies would include an idiot trying to tick everyone off. I hope it's something that will die down and maybe restore some more decency among those online...but only time will tell.
  2. Old
    Yea, and I realize that they will always be around, but it seems like there's been an increase of them lately. Either that or I'm just getting older and don't stand for stupidity like that much anymore Like you said, I'm just hoping that it's an increasing trend that will stop increasing/die down again soon, but who knows when "soon" will be...
  3. Old
    Yeah many good points. after i got the highest rank on Badcompany2 i have got more and more **** from players. im not that great in FPS im only play fore haveing funn but you will always meet stupid people online i guess
  4. Old
    It wouldn't be bad, but it's not just limited to FPS Hell, I've had people insult me for being a nub in Diablo 2, an RPG, and I've played the game since the classic release! 10+ years in a game should be a qualifying mark for not being a noob. But I may be biased on that aspect Even things like the RTS/MOBA genres are getting bad, and I'd say they're just as bad, if not worse than the FPS genre. From what I remember, it wasn't that way several years ago...

Like I said, maybe I'm just getting old, but I've noticed an uptick in this kind of activity, and I hope that it stops soon enough.